"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

So....Is it possible to be innovative in Metal anymore?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> So....Is it possible to be innovative in Metal anymore?

Displaying 3 posts
Displaying 3 posts
Aug 25, 2013 6:11 PM ET #1 (permalink)

You know, I was checking out sub genres in Metal earlier, and I guess I'm asking if there's any innovative metal groups around anymore

I mean think about it, when's the last time there's been a hot new metal genre? The 90s, right?

you know..Folk Metal, Drone Metal, Black Metal, Death metal (okay last two genres were 80s, but they really came into their own genre in the 90s)...a few other genres I'm sure that came from the 90s that I'm forgetting

That's not say to that there hasn't' been a plethora of great 2000s metal bands, but c'mon guys, they've just been expanding on what's been established previously. There's really been no new sub genre of Metal that grabbed the community by the balls and went "THIS IS THE METAL YOU WILL BE WANTING TO PLAY FOR NOW ON". Something that started a new way to play metal, where bands across the world adapted to it. I'm telling you, the las time we've seen something like that was in the 90s

Has Metal reached it plateau?

Aug 25, 2013 7:01 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Actually you know what? There is some 2000s genres:

Djent
Shoegaze (typically involved with black metal)
Post-metal

there's a few god awful -core genres too, for what it's worth

Hell, I suppose Power Metal may have came into it's own in the 2000s. Well it kind of kicked off in the late 90s, but really-really came to be its own thing in the 2000s. I'm still pretty sure that folk metal was already its own modern trend during the 90s though?

Anyway, so i suppose there is a few strictly 2000s metal genres though, that I listed. I'm probably (HOPEFULLY) missing out on more

Sep 1, 2013 8:52 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Also depressive black metal, the hyper-technical death metal like Necrophagist or Braindrill. You're right about power metal, everyone may hate DragonForce but they did something pretty new. Sludge/southern metal has had a pretty strong comeback. "Retro thrash" and retro Swedish death metal don't really count. Folk metal is definitely something newish - yes there were lots of acoustic BM bands and Bathory types around but nothing like Finntroll or Equillibrium. Slam death is another.

I know what you mean though. Personally I like taking it slow and steady, as long as it's metal and not mainstream stuff I'm ok with it.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum