"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

spam backlinks wtf

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> spam backlinks wtf

Displaying 7 posts
Displaying 7 posts
Jun 9, 2013 8:24 PM ET #1 (permalink)

why is there so many spam back links on this website lately. it never use to have them. u see a word underlined and in blue and it brings u to a new page. congratulations you won a virus. wtf?

(This post was last edited on June 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM ET.)

Jun 10, 2013 3:17 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Where is this? I don't see it and haven't implemented anything new. I might have had contextual ad links for people not logged in (testing it out), but I'll have to double check. If you are a logged in user, you definitely should not be seeing anything like this. Let me know if anyone else sees in-text ad links as described. Thanks.

Jun 10, 2013 3:35 PM ET #3 (permalink)

ive been seeing it often within peoples written comments on the site mostly. although ive been looking today and havent seen them

Jun 12, 2013 6:25 PM ET #4 (permalink)

i just facebooked u a screen shot of what im talking about.if u have trouble viewing it i can email it to u. btw i was logged in when i did this

Jun 13, 2013 10:19 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I didn't want to reply to suggest that it could be something on your end before I checked the code... but I checked the code last night and did not see anything that would do this. I have never installed any contextual text-based ads on the site outside of the forums (and only had this running for non-logged in users). I considered this for old content as well (again, only for non-logged in users). I have experimented with these things in the past to increase ad revenue, but my main goal was always to keep the intrusive stuff away from our registered users 100%. No in-text ads, no popups, interstitials, etc. Sometimes ad networks slip in a popup or something I'm not aware of, but I do my best to keep the ads minimal, especially for registered users.

It's very likely one of those many toolbars you have installed or a virus/trojan on your end. This has happened to me before on multiple occasions. I actually had a Chrome extension (a "free" game) that was doing this and thought it was the site at first. Please scan your computer and maybe try uninstalling those browser toolbars (do you even use them? I've found them to be useless in most cases). Sorry for the trouble though - I know it sucks to have to hunt down issues like this.

(This post was last edited on June 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM ET.)

Jun 13, 2013 10:39 AM ET #6 (permalink)

ill try that. and no worries i work for a web design company so i understand..weirdly though im seeing these on my home pc aswell as my work pc. kinda trippy lol

Jun 13, 2013 11:40 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Really? Just for MU? Do you use IE (9? 10?) both places? If you have other browsers installed, do you see it in Chrome or Firefox? Have you ever had any of your comments or posts here rejected due to looking like spam?

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum