"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Until the Light Takes Us Documentary

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Until the Light Takes Us Documentary

Displaying 16 posts
Displaying 16 posts
Feb 7, 2010 11:15 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I was just wondering if anyone is planning to see that documentary about Norwegian Black Metal. I know it's only playing in select cities and I just found out it's playing in mine this week so I'm psyched! I love black metal but I only know a little of the history behind it so I thought it would be worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp7XIvSAgJk

Plus Varg is interviewed and people here seem to either love or hate that guy.

Feb 8, 2010 12:20 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Looks interesting enough. I hope that it eventually pops up on Netflix, because otherwise I may never get around to watching it, haha.

Feb 8, 2010 2:52 AM ET #3 (permalink)

I'm guessing it'll be Lords of Chaos Pt. II in the direction, but at least the interviews will be no bullshit.

Feb 8, 2010 1:52 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I just saw Jackson Rathbone is supposed to be playing Varg in Lords of Chaos? I hate everything.

Feb 8, 2010 2:46 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Nah, he dropped that role due to scheduling conflicts, luckily.

Feb 8, 2010 4:32 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I saw the trailer a few months ago and have been dying to see the documentary since. No idea if it'll get any screenings over here, I doubt it. I'll wait for the DVD.

Feb 9, 2010 1:26 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Went ahead and saw it last night, it's not amazing but it's the best we'll get for now.

I was a little disappointed. The interviews with Varg are intriguing but BRIEF, and everything else falls extremely flat. Since it took the filmmakers over 2 years to shoot this I expected 2 things: Black Metal music and beautiful cinematography in Norway. You get neither of those things and that to me is unacceptable. There's very little concert footage, but then again, those second-wave BM bands didn't play live much anyways, and Burzum didn't play at all.

But, being an American, I thought it was valuable to see the Norwegian news reports and video coverage. I had a better understand of the "Satanic panic" nature of it.

There were a few funny parts too. For example, there's a shot of Frost, Satyricon's drummer on a plane, and there's a little boy sitting next to him. I mean, Frost is a pretty intimidating-looking dude, and the kid is looking at him panic-stricken with his mouth hanging open.

You guys should skip it or wait till the DVD is on Netflix, they're promising over 3 hours of uncut footage including uncut interviews with Varg. That alone might be worth it.

Feb 15, 2010 6:28 PM ET #8 (permalink)

sweet! i read the lords of chaos book twice. you definently give the book a read, its really informative.

the documentary sounds really interesting. my question though is, how do you have a film about norwegian black metal and not have any footage of norway #1 and black metal music #2? hmmm...

did frost have his corpse paint on by any chance? that would have made it even funnier! of course, the kid would probably crap his pants at some point if frost did have his paint on.

ill have to wait for the dvd most definently. thanks deadbeat.

Feb 15, 2010 7:16 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Ha no, no corpse paint. They filmed his suicide exhibit though which was amazing/terrifying. I'm not saying there was NO Norwegian scenery, just wasn't what I was expecting.

Why have I not read Lords of Chaos yet?

Feb 15, 2010 8:10 PM ET #10 (permalink)

oh. frost not in corpse paint is like an ocean without fish if you ask me....hehe.

yea. lords of chaos is really cool. its pretty in depth and has cool pictures and concert posters of back then. also, check out peter beste's web site. he has AWESOME photos of black metal dudes in and out of corpse paint. peterbeste.com

Feb 17, 2010 5:06 AM ET #11 (permalink)

have to try and aquire the dvd, The only metal documentary that got played over here was Flight 666 and that was for less than 1 week at selected cinemas only

Feb 17, 2010 5:13 AM ET #12 (permalink)

BM gets no love.

Feb 17, 2010 5:34 AM ET #13 (permalink)

metal gets little love over here...

Feb 17, 2010 6:21 PM ET #14 (permalink)

i was reading couple of articles about metal in general over in finland. the government actually supports metal of all types. they have the tuska festival (if i recall correctly) inside the town square of helsinki. they also have a cruise that goes for like 24 hours with 4 or 5 metal bands on it playing constantly. most of what happens with metal there is government funded and what not.

youre all right though...metal, especially bm get absolutely zero love here in the states. i need to move...

Apr 7, 2010 12:05 AM ET #15 (permalink)

I really like black metal its to bad that it wasn't here were i live.. i would loved to go see it... guess i'll find it on dvd somewhere

Apr 12, 2010 8:45 AM ET #16 (permalink)

interesting documentary to say the least, it could have been better i think but it's alright even if you know about everything that went on during that time. the shots could have been better and the interviews could have been longer but i dunno if black metal will be on 60 minutes anytime soon. The last scene with Frost in the art gallery pretty much made the movie for me.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum