"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MY CLUTCH/THE SWORD EXPERIENCE

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> MY CLUTCH/THE SWORD EXPERIENCE

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
May 9, 2013 8:20 AM ET #1 (permalink)

This show was drenched in ice cold rain before we even got in the damn doors! We arrived early so my wife and my buddy's gf could get a table up in the balcony area. The doors opened and we were finally able to get out of the cold rain. Drenched and soaking, we made our way up top to secure a good seat. I made my way to the merch table and bought 3 Clutch shirts and gave 1 to my buddy. The venue was getting packed pretty fast so we were glad we got a table when we did.

LIONIZE came out and began to play their set with conviction and explosive energy. Normally I am down close to the stage but since my wife was there I stayed with her till CLUTCh came out. LIONIZE once again delivered their reggea/blues/rock jams and the crowd showed them that we loved it. It seems LIONIZE has become the normal opener for CLUTCH these days, becuase the lase 3 times I have seen CLUTCH, LIONIZE was the 1st band on. And as always I give them a 10 of 10, although the sound quality was bad when they started but was better by the time they ended. Tim Sult of Clutch played 2 songs with them as well. R10 (who went to the Boston show) and a buddy who went to the Portland maine show said LIONIZE was kinda dull, but not every show is a good one for every band!!

The Sword came out to a thunderous applause. Amos' Southend was shakin at the rafters from the way the crowd responded to them. Knowing almost nothing about them, due to not checking them out beforehand, they really impressed me. The Sword let everyone know they were there to throw down and they did just that!! The crowd was going apeshit during their set. The pits sprang to lilfe and were whirling round and round. One can easily tell the influences of The Sword. BLACK SABBATH!! Musically sounded like them and vocally as well. The singer sounded like an early Ozzy, and I mean that with no disrespect. During their set my buddy and me made our way to the car and smoked our brains right for CLUTCH. I give The Sword a 10 of 10 as well. I left my wife and my buddy and his gf up top and made my way down to pit area, as I was not missing out on the chaos that was about to ensue down below!!

The lights went down and there stood the mighty CLUTCH!! At this point it appeared the ceiling was going to cave in from the vibrations and shaking going on from the crowd screaming and shouting!! Clutch dove right into their set and proceeded to show everyone why they are one of the best live bands out there!! They tore through some newer ones and made sure to toss in some older ones that always makes the crowd flip trips!! Neil was in perfect form and didnt miss one beat all night. At one point some guy was flipping out that he and his woman were getting bashed around in the pit area. STUPID FKN DIPSHIT!!!! It is the pit, what did you expect you fruit loop?!?! His behavior made a security guy show up. I didnt see him until I got pushed into him and I turned to apologize and all I saw was chest! I looked up to see a 6ft something gorilla next to me! Everytime I was pushed into him it was if I was being slammed into a brick wall. SERIOUSLY! He never once moved an inch when he was getting slammed into by anyone! I decided to ask him if we would be thrown out if we crowd surfed and he said no, but they frowned upon it. Well, that made my decision for me!! Up I went and around I was tossed!! As I approached the wall, I noticed there were no security personnel there to catch me. I tried grabbin the wall to help brace myself, but I was dropped right onto the concrete floor in front of the stage. Landed on my hip and it still hurts as of this moment (it was worth it)!!!!! I made my way back up top to rejoin my wife and friends and finish the night out. AS ALWAYS I GIVE CLUTCH A PERFECT 10 OF 10!!!

CLUTCH's setlist:
EARTH ROCKER
UNTO THE BREACH
PURE ROCK FURY
DC SOUND ATTACK
ESCAPE FROM THE PRISON PLANET
SPACEGRASS
CRUCIAL VELOCITY
BURNING BEARD
OH, ISABELLA
THE WOLFMAN KINDLY REQUESTS
GONE COLD
50K UNSTOPPABLE WATTS
STRUCK DOWN
A SHOGUN NAMED MARCUS
I HAVE THE BODY OF JOHN WILKES BOOTH
ELECTRIC WORRY

ENCORE:
THE MOB GOES WILD
GRAVEL ROAD

(This post was last edited on May 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM ET.)

May 9, 2013 8:36 AM ET #2 (permalink)

R10

Good review man. Clutch definately put on their usual tight performance in Boston. The new songs go over really well. Earth Rocker might be the best Clutch album released in 7-8 years. I was unfamilar with Lionize, but will admit they are very talented, and certainly Clutch influenced. The Sword just really continues to impress me. 4th time i've seen them, and they certainly got people to bang their heads. The Sabbath comparison is pretty good. Good setlist btw from Clutch in Charlotte. You'd be surprised how many people see multiple shows when it comes to Clutch, so they switch sets up city to city.

May 9, 2013 12:07 PM ET #3 (permalink)

As soon as The Sword's setlist is posted up I will edit it into the review.....

May 14, 2013 8:58 AM ET #4 (permalink)

nice branded will see clutch in june on graspop

May 14, 2013 9:34 AM ET #5 (permalink)

you will not be disappointed bro!!!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum