"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Rob Zombie “Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor” review.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Rob Zombie “Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor” review.

Displaying 7 posts
Displaying 7 posts
Apr 23, 2013 3:20 PM ET #1 (permalink)

9 BrianMN’s out of 10………..awesome disc.

A while back I reviewed Scum of the Earth’s disc. “The Devil Made Me Do It” and pretty much wrote Rob Zombie off as a has-been.
BrianMN is prepared to eat some undead crow as Zombie stages an impossible comeback with “Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor”.
I’d say this is closer to old White Zombie than it is Rob’s solo work.
This is easily his best since “Hellbilly 1” and stands easily with “Astro Creep 2000”.
Let’s dive in with the obvious shall we?
The production is top notch, nice and clear with plenty of punch but still a little crusty.
The song titles, my god the song titles.
Track five is “Ging Gang Gong De Do Gong De Laga Raga”……….I’m tempted to see Rob when he comes here just hoping he plays this song.
Imagine the hilarity of the drunks in the crowd trying to say the title during the chorus?
That alone would be worth the price of admission.
Rob sounds totally rejuvenated.
Guitars buzz saw nicely.
Bass and drums pound solidly.
There’s a lot of variety amongst that various tracks.

“Teenage Nosferatu P***y” opens the album and it’s a good, slow and sludgy track.
“Dead City” is the previously released track and its fun but typical Zombie track.
“Revelation” breaks out the beats.
“Theme for a Rat Vendor” has a nice Middle Eastern flair.
“Ging gang” is another good track and I’m not typing out the full title again.
My favorite song is “Rock and Roll (In a black hole)”.
Just when you thought Zombie couldn’t come up with something original that totally rips he throws this one at us.
“Behold, The Pretty Filthy Creatures!” Is classic full speed Zombie.
“White Trash Freaks” has a nice mid paced groove to it.
“We’re An American Band”…not a bad cover but the album really didn’t need it.
It doesn’t add anything but thankfully doesn’t detract either.
Not the best cover ever but I’ve heard MUCH worse.
“Lucifer Rising”…another old school White Zombie speed burner…so awesome.
“The Girl Who Loved The Monsters”…More like Hellbilly….reminds me of “How to Make a Monster” but more fleshed out and heavier.
“Trade in Your Guns for a Coffin”…wrapping up the disc in the best way possible with another classic White Zombie style track.

I was going to type more details for each song but I hate spoiling it for people.
All in all I didn’t want to like this disc.
In fact I’ve absolutely loathed Rob Zombie since Educated Horses.
I really didn’t think this collaboration with John 5 would work but I was wrong.
“Venomous” has made me a fan again.
It looks like we don’t really need a White Zombie reunion after all.

To summarize,
Raw.
Innovative and extremely familiar at the same time.
Zombie comes back and kicks everyone’s a$$ and proves why he’s still relevant.
If you’ve missed White Zombie and early Rob Zombie then pick this one up.
You know how whenever a band says their new material is the best ever?
Rob was actually right with this one…maybe not his best ever but it stands with his best easily.
It’s a keeper and will be on my I Pod for a long time.

(This post was last edited on April 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM ET.)

Jun 19, 2013 2:25 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I'd agree with you, Brian. It IS a solid Zombie album. My rating would be "Great", and around 8/10.

This is unfortunately one of those situations where someone has released so much dog shit that no one really seems to care now that he has a solid album out once again, which is a shame.

I'm personally not overly excited over the 'Teenage beaver' opening track ( come on Rob, you're a 48 and married!) or the Grand Funk Railroad cover 'We're an American band' but hey, as an album, it works!

John5 is solid as always, the band sounds great, production is great but not over-the-top like on for example The Sinister Urge.

This one will definitely be on my "Best of 2013 list", no question. Well done Mr. Zombie!

Jun 19, 2013 10:20 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Hi WOLF, thanks for writing.
Now that I've had time to really live with this release I love it. I agree with you it will definitely be in my top list at years end.
There's just SO much quality stuff coming out that this year is shaping up nicely.
As for Zombie....I think good word of mouth will help push the album further....but you're also right that with his past couple of releases he's got some makeup work to do. I just hope he can keep the momentum going.

Jun 20, 2013 11:12 AM ET #4 (permalink)

This one came out with so little fanfare that I didn't even know about it til it was out. Something about it just didn't grab me, however. I think I need to give it a few more listens.

Jun 20, 2013 12:09 PM ET #5 (permalink)

^^^@DB...for some people it’s treading familiar territory but for me it’s familiar but this time around it’s actually good lol.
Give it a while, it may be a grower…or it may not be...I’m finding a lot of music lately depends on my mood.
I simply cannot listen to this album Monday morning…new Sabbath is much better for that.
Come Friday, I’m itching for something a little more upbeat.

Jun 20, 2013 2:55 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Give it another try, DB.
I had a similar reaction at first, but I think it's just cos the opening track is so... erm... "typical" Rob Zombie.
It's not that it's bad. It's just so predictable.

If you need an "ice breaker" for this album, that would be "Lucifer Rising", no doubt.

Brian, Monday mornings... those bastards.
You know, Dead City Radio works for me. Feeling like a zombie and the track you hear is called "Dead City Radio". Perfect.
Then again, maybe "Lucifer Rising"... now, That's written for mornings!

Jun 20, 2013 3:25 PM ET #7 (permalink)

It’s probably just me but I need doom for Monday morning.
Nothing and I mean nothing is going to pick me up on a Monday.
Something slow, sludgy and cranky.
I guess I’m like Ozzy minus the stuttering and body twitching.
Old, cranky and fried.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum