"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Suggest some black metal to a newbie?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Suggest some black metal to a newbie?

Displaying 4 posts
Displaying 4 posts
Mar 18, 2013 11:26 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Hey guys, I'm new, so hi. Here's the thing, I'm looking for some black metal to get into. Problem is, I really want to avoid any racism and/or homophobia. I love the sound of Mayhem and Burzum, but I just can't get passed the views of their members. Not attacking anyone at all, just saying it bugs me enough I can't fully enjoy it. I'll also say that while I don't find the satanic imagery offensive in any way, I do find it a bit tiring after a while.

So is there anything left for me? My knowledge is extremely limited, so I'm asking the experts. I love the extremely dark, atmospheric sound, the incomprehensible vocals, and even the Scandinavian imagery and folklore. Thanks for reading and thanks for any suggestions.

Mar 19, 2013 5:20 PM ET #2 (permalink)

There are classics that you would still enjoy, for example Emperor, Ulver, Absu, Arcturus, Bathory (Viking stuff like Blood Fire Death), Borknagar, Enslaved, Immortal, Primordial, Summoning - most of this is just singing about how fucking cold Scandanavia is or LoTR/pagan fantasy :)

Aside from that there are plenty of liberal naturistic black metal bands these days (mostly American), Alcest, Wolves In The Throne Room, Agalloch, Midnight Odyssey, Negură Bunget, Skagos etc.

Hell, just check out Wigrid and Mortualia too, it's basically guilt free Burzum.

Apr 10, 2013 8:12 AM ET #3 (permalink)

You don't have to agree with Varg's views to appreciate his music. I think he's a disgusting racist, but I also think he's a musical genius and so I'll listen to anything he releases. Not only are his lyrics pretty rarely racist, usually just focused on either suffering or fairy tales or something, seeing as they're black metal vocals you would have to go out of your way to look them up and work out what he's saying.

That said, if you really can't get into them, then here's a few other bands you might like. Bathory, early Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Gorgoroth, and Marduk. I'd also recommend Mutilation Rites which are a newer band that I'm a big fan of, they have some crust influences. Agalloch are a particularly good band you ought to give a listen to, and Wolves in the Throne Room have similarly 'pagan' themes.

(This post was last edited on April 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM ET.)

Apr 17, 2013 12:11 PM ET #4 (permalink)

General Surgery is a fairly newer black metal band i do believe to be pretty good. There is an article on this site talking about lyrics and if its a race to the bottom and is pretty interesting, but thats besides the point. General Surgery has a song called Crimson Concerto and it has the vocals your looking for along with the darkness. If you want a slower heavier sounding black metal band Landmenn is pretty good. I'm a fan of Gorgoroth and Belphagor as well. I think they are worth the mention.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum