"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

The better Thrash revival bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> The better Thrash revival bands

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Feb 2, 2010 10:06 AM ET #26 (permalink)

Gama Bomb, Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste (the last one sucks..)

Feb 2, 2010 7:51 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Guys! Try out Warpath, these guys are my favourite. Awesome band form the UK. http://www.myspace.com/warpathuk

Feb 6, 2010 2:09 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Check out Alkoholizer from Sardinia dudes are badass.

Feb 25, 2010 6:57 PM ET #29 (permalink)

http://www.myspace.com/manticritual
or
http://www.myspace.com/fueledbyfire

Feb 25, 2010 11:49 PM ET #30 (permalink)

^ Mantic Ritual is a fucking amazing band! Seen em live twice and hung out with the guys before both shows. Real down to earth dudes. It's a shame that Dan had to leave the band, but that's how things went. My favorite out of all the revival thrash bands.

Feb 26, 2010 2:47 AM ET #31 (permalink)

Eh, the majority of the retrothrash bands RULE but that's just me. Some favs - Fueled by Fire, Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste, Warbringer, Bonded by Blood, Eliminator, Merciless Death, Skeletonwitch, Gama Bomb, Avenger of Blood, Warpath, Invection, The Law, PC Death Squad, Nocturnal Breed, In Defence, Cross Examination, Lich King, Dekapitator, HeXeN....

Yes, I have lots of favorites >;.>;

Feb 26, 2010 6:51 PM ET #32 (permalink)

New breed of thrash? I'm not too big of a fan. There are some good one though, my favorites are Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D. and Municipal Waste. Most of those bands I find are just kinda repeating what's already been done, if I wanna hear Exodus or Dark Angel goddamn it I'll just listen to Exodus or Dark Angel. You know what's funny, when young bands dress lke some 80's thrash kid, long greasy hair, skin tight jeans, bullet belts, haggard-ass denim, and some white high-tops. That shit just cracks me up..................OOOOOOOOOOAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH I'M SO FUCKING METAL!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

Feb 26, 2010 9:05 PM ET #33 (permalink)

^ In my opinion, the 80's look is much better than the plain modern metal look. Regardless, fashion is not much of a factor when it comes to listening to metal. To each his own...

Feb 27, 2010 1:10 AM ET #34 (permalink)

Who gives a shit if they're repeating what's already been done? Quality >; originality. Besides, most of these bands just have one or two albums out so far - don't forget that Anthrax, Metallica and Slayer's debuts were also pretty much 'YO WE GONNA APE OUR IDOLS NIGGA!" and they found their own sounds gradually. The progress of bands like Warbringer in between their first 2 albums shows that the retro-thrash thing can produce vaguely original material.

Oh, and even though fashion is secondary to the music - you gotta have to take into acount - who the fuck would listen to a retro thrash band with an emo look? Hell, what tr00 assed metalhead would listen to any band with an emo look? Look at early Trivium, lol.

Feb 28, 2010 1:47 AM ET #35 (permalink)

Who gives a shit if they're repeating what's been done? Ummmm............ I do, personally I don't quite care for rip-offs but thats just me. Quality >; originality? Does it, perhaps you could elaborate. I think Metallica and Slayer kinda had their own sound right from the get go, don't remember ever hearing anything by them which was bastardizing other bands, other than a few maiden riffs on Show No Mercy. And who would listen to a retro thrash band with an emo look? Fuck man I would if their music was good. Guess I'm not a "tr00 assed" metal head, sorry bra.

Feb 28, 2010 2:19 AM ET #36 (permalink)

I would look at the music first and the image later too. That was a stupid self contradicting / trying to be funny statement :P

And dude... Metallica borrowed heavily from bands like Angelwitch, Blitzkrieg and especially Diamond Head on Kill Em All. Not to mention that at times Kill Em All sounded like GBH's CIty Baby Attacked By Rats but with DH/AW riffage. Slayer too, but they were a bit more on the Venom side of things. Hell Awaits, now thats when shit started to pop, yo.

Feb 28, 2010 2:31 AM ET #37 (permalink)

^Yes I agree, borrowed not stolen. That twas my point.

Feb 28, 2010 2:35 AM ET #38 (permalink)

Ah, understood *thumbs up*

Mar 2, 2010 1:31 PM ET #39 (permalink)

The Haunted, Evile, Susperia, Municipal Waste and Lazarus AD. Don't listen to much newer thrash other than them.

Mar 3, 2010 1:10 AM ET #40 (permalink)

^ I wouldn't call the Haunted new, they've been around since 1996.

Apr 27, 2010 4:01 PM ET #41 (permalink)

hmm i'm not a huge fan of the revival myself only 2 bands I can think of are legion of the damned and dekapitator not too fond of bounded by blood or any of the others although municiple waste has some pretty catchy songs :P

Jun 15, 2010 10:50 PM ET #42 (permalink)

love Thrash Metal bands......I have a couple that are my fav's....you gotta check out Orlando's own, thrash band....."Great Awakening".....
awesome metal/thrash metal band
www.myspace.com/GreatAwakeningFL or www.reverbnation.com/GreatAwakeningFL they most recently played in Orlando, w/Kreator, Evile, Katalysm, Lazuras AD, and some other opening band, that performed before G.A. but I didnt catch their name... Great Awakening, def. held their own and tour it up!!!

Jul 12, 2010 10:38 PM ET #43 (permalink)

Pretty much the only new thrash bands I listen to are Warbringer, Evile and Fatality.

Though there are a couple that I need to check out.

Jul 14, 2010 8:33 PM ET #44 (permalink)

Skeletonwitch and Blood Tsunami. And Rumpilstiltskin grinder needs a nod. Listen to "Nothing defeats the Skull" and tell me this band isnt flatout badass.

I would say warbringer, but it seems they get enough shoutouts.

And I was at that show that Nikita was talking about. The Great Awakening, live at least, sounds like super-rediculous megadeth/metallica. they even played Hit the lights. Not bad, I just think whoever managed the sound tech shit had way too much treble on EVERYTHING, to the point that the singers voice was giving me headaches, even though I could tell his voice wasnt actually the problem. The techs at firestone always suck though, so it was kinda expected.

Jul 26, 2010 5:01 PM ET #45 (permalink)

cavalera conspiracy

Oct 19, 2010 10:57 AM ET #46 (permalink)

Not sure if anyone has metioned them yet... but there is this newish thrash band in my area called WARBEAST and I think they just signed to housecore records theyre pretty badass as far as new thrash goes.... but as with alot of thrash the vocals could probably be alot better...

Oct 29, 2010 8:31 AM ET #47 (permalink)

I'm really into Suicidal Angels and Lazarus A.D., both play Thrash like it should be played, fast, and heavy as hell, I also like Evile's first CD but I didn't really care for Infected Nations all that much

Nov 3, 2010 2:42 PM ET #48 (permalink)

For new twist on thrash - check out GasHead. Vocals go from Chuck Billy gruff to Maynard Keenanisms. testament, Grip, Inc. and Rust in Peace era Megadeth can be heard in the music as well as some slight progressive tendancies. They just released a single with ex-Megadeth guitar god Chris Poland. Here's links to that song and a fan page if interested.

http://gashead.bandcamp.com/album/skeletal-feat-chris-poland-single
www.reverbnation.com/gashead

Nov 30, 2010 11:14 PM ET #49 (permalink)

www.myspace.com/sadisticritual album coming soon

Dec 1, 2010 11:09 AM ET #50 (permalink)

Somehow, I knew that post was gonna be self-promoting before I even opened the thread.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum