"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

The better Thrash revival bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> The better Thrash revival bands

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Jan 21, 2010 6:09 PM ET #1 (permalink)

just wanted to hear your guys views, as we all know theres a barrel of rubbish being released in the name of thrash at the moment but I'd like to think there are a few gems in there. Anyone got an opinion on whats awesome and whats not so awesome? Find the juicy chunks in a land of barf if you will!

So I guess i'll start with Gama Bomb, why do i think theyre great? yeah sure they dont bring anything new to the table but it's just plain fun to listen to. The lyrics and song titles are amusing if anything and its got the 'we dont realy care what it sounds like' air of say, assassin. But then again, I'll always defend the irish, haha.

Jan 21, 2010 6:35 PM ET #2 (permalink)

"Ah we do love the 80s so we do. Robocop, synthesizers and Purple Rain an' all that!"

New thrash? Seregon.... uh.... umm...

Jan 21, 2010 7:04 PM ET #3 (permalink)

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Violator from Brazil. "Chemical Assault" is awesome.

Jan 21, 2010 7:12 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I'll let you have that one haha you heard of Suicidal Angels Cynic?

Jan 21, 2010 7:45 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I enjoy Warbringer, Lazarus AD, Evile, Skeletonwitch, and Sylosis, though Sylosis aren't really full-blown thrash.

I don't really have much else to say on the subject, haha.

I'm not too big on Municipal Waste, but I haven't seen them live yet, so if what nearly everybody else says is true about their orgasmity live, my mind may eventually change regarding them.

Jan 21, 2010 8:11 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I think theyre only orgasmic live to people who love them allready (which I must admit I do) but I can certainly say you'd have a good enough time if you didnt, especially at smaller venues, you get a great show and theres people dressing in costumes and allsorts to keep your night entertaining.

Jan 21, 2010 8:16 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I'm not TOO huge on the hundreds of revival thrash bands that are multiplying like rabbits. I'm more of an 80's Thrash junkie. There are only a few modern thrash bands that I do happen to enjoy...

Mantic Ritual - Seen 'em live numerous times and even hung out with the guys before some shows.
Merciless Death - Not the most original of all bands, but goddamn do these motherfuckers know how to thrash!
Taking Over - Only because the guitarist/vocalist and I have our heated debates about football.

Jan 21, 2010 8:21 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Oh! and Sakrificer. These dudes used to play gigs behind a taco shop right around the corner from my old house. Ah, I think that's all? There are some other bands that only have a few songs that I like. Yup, that's about it...

Jan 21, 2010 8:40 PM ET #9 (permalink)

No I hadn't, I'll check them out (despite their stupid name haha).

EDIT: Oh and to add to the list: Mutant (UK). If you like RIP Megadeth you'll dig Mutant.

(This post was last edited on January 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM ET.)

Jan 21, 2010 8:45 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Mutant rings a bell.. I think i might have seen em somwhere along the line haha, probably have, but thanks i'll have a listen man.
And shredder i agree on Merciless Death, not heard the others though

Jan 21, 2010 8:53 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Revication and dekapitor thats all I have. Besides the main bands

Jan 22, 2010 1:15 PM ET #12 (permalink)

I know they're not original by any means, but I like a lot of the thrash revival bands, particularly Mantic Ritual, Warbringer, and Gama Bomb. I have yet to check out Evile, Lazarus AD, Merciless Death, Violator, and Mutant, though.

Originality isn't really a requirement for me to like a band, honestly. At this point, everything's pretty much been done. But honestly, I do like the 80's thrash more.

Jan 22, 2010 3:05 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Final Curse!!! Last night Cocoa beach endured the opening salvos of Final Curse's Florida tour. Tonight, The Dungeon in Orlando will be host to the next unleashing of the Curse!!

THE REMAINING DATES ARE:

Jan 22 2010 11:00P The Dungeon Orlando, Florida
Jan 23 2010 10:00P The Brass Mug Tampa, Florida
Jan 30 2010 11:00P The Hotbox Lancaster, South Carolina

FINAL CURSE HAS SHARED THE STAGE WITH TRASH LEGENDS EXODUS, AS WELL AS WARBRINGER, EXMORTUS, SWARM THEORY, AND A HOST OF OTHER GREAT BANDS. GET OUT THERE AND SUPPORT A BAND WHO IS TRYING THEIR BEST TO BRING BACK THE TRUE VIBE OF THRASH. ANY THRASH FAN WHO LOVES METALLICA, SLAYER, EXODUS, TESTAMENT, THEN YOU WILL NOT WANT TO MISS FINAL CURSE IF THEY COME TO YOUR PART OF THE WORLD!!!

BRIAN SAUNDERS
PROMOTIONS MANAGER
MASTER SPLINTER PRODUCTIONS

(This post was last edited on January 22, 2010 at 3:07 PM ET.)

Jan 22, 2010 3:10 PM ET #14 (permalink)

branded: If I didn't know better, I'd say you were spamming, lol. I'm assuming you work with them?

Jan 22, 2010 4:11 PM ET #15 (permalink)

i am not in Florida with them this time around. but i sell merch at shows and help load in and load out as well as help run their myspace acct.

Jan 23, 2010 11:58 AM ET #16 (permalink)

HH, i wouldnt worry about Evile unless you're a huge slayer fan and love bands who sound just like 'em. hahaha

(This post was last edited on January 23, 2010 at 11:58 AM ET.)

Jan 23, 2010 12:03 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Ah ya love Slayer so ya do.

Jan 23, 2010 12:23 PM ET #18 (permalink)

a love robocop so a do

Jan 24, 2010 12:39 AM ET #19 (permalink)

I do loves me some Slayer.

Jan 24, 2010 12:47 AM ET #20 (permalink)

slayer is well 80s so it is, dya want a cupa tea HH?

Jan 24, 2010 1:00 AM ET #21 (permalink)

I do loves me some tea as well, haha.

Jan 24, 2010 8:45 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Oh lawdy, Prokrastinator has turned into Mrs. Doyle.

Jan 24, 2010 12:05 PM ET #23 (permalink)

go'aan father.. just one cup!

Jan 24, 2010 2:42 PM ET #24 (permalink)

The amount of Father Ted my sister and her boyfriend watched yesterday was bloody ridiculous!

Getting back on topic. Did you ever notice how thrash revival bands sound like old thrash bands?

Jan 25, 2010 8:16 PM ET #25 (permalink)

CHECK OUT BLOOD TSUNAMI!!!!!

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum