"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Help Finding 'Core

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Help Finding 'Core

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 30 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 30 1 2 Last
Jan 20, 2010 11:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I need some help.
I'm about to explore the 'core world, having to differentiate certain genres from another; and I don't know ANYTHING. This is my first REAL introduction into the 'core, as I am on the lookout for bands! In attempt to provide a clear, easy picture for myself to start with, all I ask for are some examples (Bands) of each of the following genres:

Metalcore:
Deathcore:
Grindcore:

(Optional)
Hardcore:
Post-Hardcore:

This might be off off topic, but it would also help me out if someone could give me some examples of Deathgrind.

Thaaank you.

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2010 at 11:28 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2010 11:59 PM ET #2 (permalink)

OOH OHH!

Resident 'core fanboy here.

METALCORE
Unearth
Shadows Fall
Bleeding Through
As I Lay Dying
Killswitch Engage (Alive or Just Breathing)
August Burns Red

DEATHCORE
Through the Eyes of the Dead
After the Burial
All Shall Perish

HARDCORE
Bury Your Dead (You Had Me At Hello-Beauty and the Breakdown era, with first vocalist)
Evergreen Terrace
Hatebreed
Sick of It All
Terror
Madball

POST-HARDCORE
Refused
Glassjaw
Thrice (older material is heavier, later stuff is very progressive and experimental, but still great)
Secret & Whisper
Poison the Well
Chiodos

Sorry, not very fond of grind.

(This post was last edited on January 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM ET.)

Jan 21, 2010 11:25 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Hardcore: As Nat stated, Sick Of It All and Madball are fantastic, Terror are really good too. Also have a look at Agnostic Front, Murphy's Law, Leeway, Underdog, Killing Time, No Redeeming Social Value, District 9 and some of the early stuff like Bad Brains, Black Flag, Minor Threat and Dead Kennedys (not sure how hardcore they really are though). There's some great English stuff from the old era too that could be classed as hardcore like The Exploited, Discharge, G.B.H and Anti-Nowhere League.

Grindcore: Obviously Napalm Death are the best ones to check out in this field if you're new to it. Also try Extreme Noise Terror, Anal Cunt, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Brutal Truth and early Carcass

Jan 21, 2010 4:36 PM ET #4 (permalink)

early Carcass are great fun, then move onto the later stuff asap haha.

Pig Destroyer, Rotten Sound and Agoraphobic Nosebleed have been little grindcore guilty pleasures of mine for a while actually.

Jan 21, 2010 10:22 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I've heard of some of the bands you guys have mentioned, but I have trouble defining them with their appropriate genres, so this is nice help; I'll see what I can do. Thanks guys.

Jan 21, 2010 10:49 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Metalcore
Between the Buried and Me
Sinai Beach
My Bitter End
Edit: The Ghost Inside
The Agonist

Deathcore
Despised Icon
Victims
Veil of Maya
Born of Osiris

(This post was last edited on January 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM ET.)

Jan 22, 2010 10:30 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Only grindcore I like are Carcass and the first Napalm Death album. Check out Carcass immediately as Symphonies of Sickness is an awesome album.

Beyond that I don't like deathcore or metalcore and the only hardcore to me is the orginals like Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc. the bands Diamond already mentioned.

Jan 22, 2010 1:23 PM ET #8 (permalink)

"Symphonies of Sickness" by Carcass and early Napalm Death are great grindcore. Other than those (oh, and Pig Destroyer) I'm not too familiar with grindcore. Er, change that, I'm not too familiar with GOOD grindcore. Most of it is terrible.

Edit: As far as deathcore goes, there are a few good bands like All Shall Perish and Whitechapel, but most deathcore is terrible too, at least in my opinion.

(This post was last edited on January 22, 2010 at 1:24 PM ET.)

Jan 22, 2010 2:19 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Ewww, I can't stand Whitechapel, haha. The vocalist is decent but the music is so damn boring.

Jan 22, 2010 2:27 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I can't listen to them (Whitechapel) for long, but a song here and there isn't bad.

Edit: Is this page showing up differently than the rest of the site for anybody else? For some reason this thread shows up all white on my computer.. but the rest of the site is normal.

(This post was last edited on January 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM ET.)

Jan 22, 2010 3:33 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Yep, something is broke and I'm looking into it actually.

I have an idea what it is, and you're probably using IE6 also, right?

(This post was last edited on January 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM ET.)

Jan 22, 2010 4:00 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Nat: yeah i cant stand them either, they do nothing for me

Jan 22, 2010 7:52 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Someone knows My Bitter End? I loved their first album. Didn't like the second, that seemed more deathcore-ish to me (not that there's anythind wrong with that).

Jan 23, 2010 12:06 PM ET #14 (permalink)

MINDSNARE! (from Melbourne)

Jan 24, 2010 1:06 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Oh yeah, Mumakil is another great grindcore band.

Jan 24, 2010 4:18 PM ET #16 (permalink)

DB: Yeah i listen to them sometimes, whats their second album called i havent heard of it

Jan 25, 2010 8:05 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I am ALWAYS searching for good grindcore. Like Hammerheart said, most of the genre is terrible, but when it is good, then it's GREAT.

Pig Destroyer, as many others on here have said, is a must if you have ANY taste in the genre. The last two albums are easier to get into when transitioning from metal (Phantom limb and Terrifyer)

Antigama- if jungle-core is a genre, then they are IT. Awesome stuff though.

Man Must Die- definitely borderline death metal, especially off their last album.

Origin- tech-death grind What else do you need to know?

Genghis Tron is basically techno grindcore. I know, it Sounds stupid, but when you hear it, it's awesome lol.

METALCORE
The Agonist
Brother Von Doom
As I lay Dying
Shadows Fall
Himsa

Deathcore has only two bands checking out. After the Burial, and Between the Buried and Me, if only because they are so technical and epic that it cancels out their over-reliance on breakdowns. You can check out Winds of Plague if you want, they're ok.

Hardcore gets the finger as far as I'm concerned, so dont ask me. :P

Mathcore gets you bands like Psyopus and Dillinger Escape Plan. Anyone who has heard either of these bands can tell you this: Tread lightly, thar be monsters here. Neither of thes bands will make a lick of sense when you first hear them, but Dillinger is the easier of the two to digest if you wanna give it a shot.

Jan 25, 2010 8:05 PM ET #18 (permalink)

oh, and post-hardcore gets the double finger. It starts at Atreyu and only gets worse from there.

Jan 25, 2010 8:16 PM ET #19 (permalink)

CoHace: "The Renovation"? http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=19277

I bought it for my brother back then, but I didn't care for it myself.

Jan 25, 2010 8:24 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Fuck_A_Name: The Agonist is amazing

DB: thats new? i though that was the first one =/

Jan 25, 2010 9:47 PM ET #21 (permalink)

I have to say I think the epitome of deathcore is All Shall Parish's The Price of Existence. Personally I've always put the Faceless here, too. I think FAN calls em tech-death though. Winds of Plague.

Bleeding Through were mentioned and I love them as far as metalcore. Shadows Fall is a good pick too. Though these two differ greatly.

Jan 26, 2010 1:41 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Just sorted out some tickets to see Sick Of It All in April. I'm so excited! Saw them at Graspop last year and they were possibly the best band of the bill! Seeing them do a headline show is gonna kick ass!

Jan 26, 2010 4:39 PM ET #23 (permalink)

sons of auralius are pretty good deathcore even though they lean very heavily to being technical death metal, you might find an occasional breakdown in there. i think they are unsigned but they do have a cd. its quite good.

Jan 26, 2010 8:58 PM ET #24 (permalink)

You guys are awesome; thanks a ton.
Man, this is gonna be a lot o' work :)

(This post was last edited on January 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM ET.)

Feb 24, 2010 6:37 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Jenny: Only check out early Napalm Death though... the later stuff ain't grind, it's more like death metal. Some say the new stuff is good, some say Napalm Death sold out. Either way, if you're lookin' fer grind, early ND will be the road to ride.

For bands that are part grind part other genre, check out Soilent Green and Cattle Decapitation (one of my favorites).

Soilent green mixes grind with death and sludge, while Cattle D mixes DEATHgrind with Progressive Death.

Good stuff though, if you're interested in stretching out to other genres perhaps.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum