"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Dark Ambient

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Dark Ambient

Displaying 15 posts
Displaying 15 posts
Jan 20, 2010 1:35 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Hello!

I noticed the new forum layout and decided to contribute a thread about Dark Ambient music. Is anyone else into this beautiful form of music? I got into Dark Ambient around 2003 and have added tons of Dark Ambient artists into my CD collection.

My personal favorite is Nox Arcana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QQHQTF7Bxc

Jan 20, 2010 4:07 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Not Your Average Hippy is worth checking out if you havn't already heard of him. SleepResearch_Facility is amazing in its nothingness. Tangerine Dream's album 'zeit' is something of a must have.

Jan 20, 2010 10:14 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Lustmord is great dark ambient. Heresy is a personal favorite of mine.

Jan 20, 2010 3:06 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Mortiis, fantastic.

Feb 5, 2010 5:00 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I heard one of Mortiis' songs today on the radio. I'm not a fan of the Pop elements added to which ever song was playing. I checked them out on Google and their costume's are awesome!

(This post was last edited on February 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM ET.)

Feb 6, 2010 1:49 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Cynic was referring to the dark ambient albums that preceded albums like The Smell of Rain. He was referring to The Crypt of the Wizard and The Stargate etc.

Feb 7, 2010 3:44 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Crypt of the Wizard in particular, I just find that album incredibly gripping.

Jun 16, 2010 4:53 AM ET #8 (permalink)

Ahh yes, Nox Arcana. I remember purchasing their album "Necronomicon" (although it was a biased buy as I was a fan of H.P. Lovecraft), and thought it was the epic-est album ever. It's great listening to that stuff when walking outside at night-time... powerful yet creepy. Midnight syndicate is good dark ambient too.

Jun 16, 2010 10:10 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Crypt of the Wizard= Quite possibly the worst album cover ever.

Jun 16, 2010 5:11 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Bwahaha, yeah. Actually that cover is only on the reissue since they didn't have the rights to the original art (I think that's the story anyway).

Funny you made that comment though because this thread made me look at Mortiis covers last night and I realized how cool the "Født til å Herske" cover is - the version with Mortiis trolled up pointing at something.

Jun 19, 2010 2:30 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Lustmord is the shit! I just listened to an album that he collaborated with the Melvins on today and its pretty wierd will definitely need another few listens for a good assessment but his live album Rising is horrifying.

Aug 21, 2010 6:26 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Screamjyser: I recently discovered Midnight Syndicate on YouTube. I really like the songs off 'Born of The Night', gonna purchase the album sometime soon. Great stuff.

www.midnightsyndicate.com

Sep 27, 2010 5:58 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Hollow: Yeah, their work is amazing. It's like you really have a movie soundtrack playing for you when listening. Dark Psytrance, although not exactly dark ambient is good stuff to.... Xenomporph is an amazing artist, their stuff is pretty sick

Apr 11, 2011 12:48 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Some of my favorites are Dargaard(Including Tharen's side project Dominion 3), Keppler's Odd, Za Frumi, Triarii, Irezumi, Arcana, etc etc

Jul 20, 2011 3:33 PM ET #15 (permalink)

RTB

just got into black ambient
i guess the one i enjoy the most is elffor
still new to the genre but i luv it
primarily black ambient

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum