"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Prog Rock/Metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Prog Rock/Metal

Displaying posts 51 - 55 of 55 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 55 of 55 1 2 3 Last
Oct 27, 2011 12:16 PM ET #51 (permalink)

I know this will sound weird, but if any of you get some spare time I would suggest Journey's first album. Steve Perry wasn't with them at the time. The keyboardist was handling vocals. Some very cool, trippy, early style prog. Yeah, I was as surprised as you probably are when my brother-in-law popped it on while we were having a few beers. If he hadn't told me it was Journey I never would have guessed it.

Jan 10, 2012 12:37 PM ET #52 (permalink)

Devin Townsend is amazing. I hope to read what others

Jan 19, 2012 3:09 PM ET #53 (permalink)

Hey Cynic: I don't think there is ONE song you could listen to to get into Porcupine Tree because, like Devin Townsend, he is all over the place, style-wise. I would listen to the entire "Deadwing" album a couple of times through and then see what you think bout them. Thats probably the easiest album to digest. Then if you like PT then go backwards through their discography because it gets way weirder the farther back you go haha.

Cheers.

Jan 19, 2012 7:52 PM ET #54 (permalink)

More than a year late Megg! Haha, cheers though I'm a true convert now - it was actually two songs in a row I guess, I think I was really hung over and listened to "Fadeaway" and "Rainy Taxi" in a row from their best of. Then I got "Fear of a Blank Planet" which was acutally quite different (very Toolish) and boom I'm now a preacher of the prog.

Jan 22, 2012 4:47 PM ET #55 (permalink)

^The title/first track of Fear Of A Blank Planet would convert pretty much any 'someday' metal/prog fan (ie people that like Tool but don't really know anything much about anything much) into a Porcupine Tree fan. It's super groovy and accessible, easy as piss to listen to. Was an instant favourite track for me, until I discovered the rest of their discography :)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum