"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Prog Rock/Metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Prog Rock/Metal

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 55 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 55 1 2 3 Last
May 14, 2010 11:46 AM ET #26 (permalink)

Metal Rapture: By chance are you a military man? If so welcome, because so am I, but if not...well....welcome anyway.

BTBAM kinda took me a minute to get into, but i like them now. And yes, Crack the Sky= fucking epic win.

May 14, 2010 9:40 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Nat - just follow Neuros instructions (post #19). I'd rank those albums identically. Regarding "The Incident" I loves me some "I drive the hearse." I've mentioned it in a few other PT threads so why stop now.

EOH - just give in to the Porcupine for crying out loud...you know you want to.

May 17, 2010 3:23 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Well darn, I now need to listen to the godly voice of Steven Wilson.

(This post was last edited on May 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM ET.)

Jun 9, 2010 12:09 AM ET #29 (permalink)

I love Prog music. And also a huge Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson fan. Have you guys heard of the band Orphaned Land? Great prog/metal band from Israel. Also Steven Wilson helped produce their new album "Orwarrior".

If you guys could write a blog on my website about Prog music at http://ruintime.com I'll feature it there.

(This post was last edited on June 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM ET.)

Jun 9, 2010 1:11 AM ET #30 (permalink)

Kamelot! Kamelot! Kamelot!

Jun 9, 2010 4:56 AM ET #31 (permalink)

Never got into Porcupine Tree - if I had to listen to one song that would convince me they were great what would it be?

Also, not enough Fates Warning love in here. The genius behind their music is amazing. Most bands try to claim the "prog" title by playing a lot of notes, whereas FW are 10 times as technically clever with 10 times less notes. Underrated!!

Jun 9, 2010 8:10 AM ET #32 (permalink)

^I can't think of a PT song that wouldn't get me into them, but... Blackest Eyes is fantastic.

And yeah, Fates Warning are incredible. I thought that went without saying? hahah

Jul 1, 2010 11:30 PM ET #33 (permalink)

@Cynic: That's a hard one. If your going to listen to PT I suggest you listen album by album, but it really doesn't matter, all songs are very good. The best album would definitely by In Absentia, but Fear of a Blank PLanet is quite a masterpiece as well.

As for the song, I would definitely say anesthetize. It's quite long (as prog songs usually always are), but the sections flow really well and all the musicians make the odd-time parts sound real natural. The guitar solo was the highlight of the song for me.

Jul 12, 2010 10:29 PM ET #34 (permalink)

Psythe: Trains is the best song on that album. You know you want to hear the great banjo solo.

Jul 13, 2010 9:36 PM ET #35 (permalink)

Riverside anyone?? After finding Porcupine Tree I stumbled upon Riverside from Poland and found some sweet tunes on their main releases as well as their EPs. 'Out of Myself' was the first CD to get my attention, and then heard the single 'Panic Room' from Rapid Eye Movement and knew I had to have the rest. Somewhat of a Rush/Tool mix if I had to try and give it a sound.

Jul 14, 2010 6:39 AM ET #36 (permalink)

Yeah man, Riverside are tops, dunno if anyone's mentioned Oceansize yet, but worth a glance.

Trains is a fantastic song, but I wouldn't have said the best. That whole album just smokes tho, it's pretty hard to justify any song over another.

Jul 15, 2010 7:38 PM ET #37 (permalink)

The Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree
Pain of Salvation
The Pineapple Thief
Tool
Rush

/some of my favourites.

Been meaning to listen to Riverside. Heard nothing but good things.

Jul 15, 2010 8:34 PM ET #38 (permalink)

l8 again so Cymic got my sleeper pick
listen to Fates Warning Awaken the Guardian or Disconnected are both classic Metal albums
i can't get enough Floyd as sorry as it sounds King Crimson are also worth trying
i consider Japan prog but they might not be hard rock enough for this forum
i think that Jane's Addiction don't get enough credit for their prog efforts especially on Ritual
only recent got into Tool but 10000 Days is my favorite and their most prog imo
waiting for their next but they have been away so long i don't think they can keep up with today's most prog efforts
could go on but ill wrap it up
had to come back and add Machine Head Blackening one of the best albums of the previous decade

(This post was last edited on July 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM ET.)

Jul 17, 2010 6:32 AM ET #39 (permalink)

Just thought I'd pop back and say thanks to everyone in here - I'd checked out Porcupine Tree previously and thought meh. But after all the praise I thought I'd sit the fuck down and take some time to listen to it again and something just clicked tonight. Maybe I've just been in the mood for 18 minute spacey songs or something but my brain has aligned and I can appreciate they're a great band. Fantastic production as well.

Jul 19, 2010 4:59 AM ET #40 (permalink)

^Hahah man I've been listening to almost nothing but SunnO))) lately... fantastic production is right, tho.

Jul 21, 2010 11:35 PM ET #41 (permalink)

So many great artists to check out...

Oct 1, 2010 7:39 AM ET #42 (permalink)

Going to see Rush tomorrow night in south florida. Neil Pert is undoubtibly the greatist drummer out there. Dream Theater of course is another great prog band along with Nevermore and Symphony X...but if you really want the prog scene you need to go over seas to Europe. They got Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, among many others...the scene is enormous there.

Oct 10, 2010 8:36 PM ET #43 (permalink)

Dream theater is a great Prog metal band. Everyone in that band is extremely talented at what they play and they put out great music.

Feb 28, 2011 10:49 AM ET #44 (permalink)

Tool is a great band. I think they might be in this genre.
All I know is that anyone that is wanting to listen to some awesome rock music, or something different than they already listen to should listen to them.
My favorite song by tool is schism

Mar 18, 2011 7:37 PM ET #45 (permalink)

^The lines on this genre are very thin if you consider an artist prog then they are. To an extent, obviously no one considers Korn prog but Tools "progginess" has been debated for a good while.

Jul 30, 2011 4:30 PM ET #46 (permalink)

Riverside is pretty damn good. As for Porcupine Tree my introduction song for them was "Arriving Somewhere but Not Here". Radioactive Toy, Way Out of Here, Fear of a Blank Planet. Lots of great tunes easy to find on YouTube.

Aug 24, 2011 11:12 AM ET #47 (permalink)

I've really been getting into both Devin Townsend and Circus Maximus.
Devin is just... amazingly quirky and different. Everything he does is just... amazing.
Circus Maximus is like a younger, fresher Dream Theater without the slightly annoying vocals.
Symphony X is an incredible band, but surprisingly not as popular as they should be. Everybody in that band is ridiculously talented, especially Michael Romeo and his guitar wizardry. Their latest album, "Iconoclast," is the heaviest they've done so far, but less progressive - it's still incredible, though.

Aug 26, 2011 1:49 AM ET #48 (permalink)

Yeah Symphony X are good at what they do. I can only listen to their stuff for a little while every so often, but can definitely give props to their skills. Unlike Dragonforce hahaha

Aug 27, 2011 8:30 PM ET #49 (permalink)

YEAH, CAUSE YOU CAN LISTEN TO DRAGONFORCE FOR HOURS WITHOUT GETTING BORED.

Misinterpretation of grammatical intention ftw.

The new Devin Townsend album is beyond fantastic. Everything I loved about Strapping young lad but refined and expanded into a prog context. Until i hear the new Mastodon and new Opeth albums just to be sure, Deconstruction is pretty much my album-of-the-year.

Oct 25, 2011 10:52 PM ET #50 (permalink)

My current roommate's have a progressive instrumental metal band called Laestrygonia. While you all are obviously jeering at the fact that I'm trying to plug them, give them a listen and I guarantee it's not something you'd expect for a completely unknown band's first demo... http://www.reverbnation.com/laestrygonia Prove me wrong and spread the word...

(This post was last edited on October 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum