"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Prog Rock/Metal

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Prog Rock/Metal

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 55 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 55 1 2 3 Last
Jan 20, 2010 1:22 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Whether it is Pink Floyd, Cynic, Atheist, Porcupine Tree, Rush, Opeth, Tool, Mastodon, Isis, Coheed & Cambria, etc. I love this genre. This is a place to discuss prog rock and metal and maybe a way to discover new bands.

Jan 20, 2010 3:58 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Dead Letter Circus are a great group of newcomers. Red Sparrowes is a new favourite of mine, too.

Jan 20, 2010 10:06 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Is red sparrowes on nuerot recordings? i think i was lookin at their cd at the shop the other day and decided to go with shrinebuilder instead. i absolutely love porcupine tree. i also love blackfield. that aviv geffen dude is pretty damn good too.

on another note, does anyone here listen to devin townsend at all? hes one of my favorite artists of all time....what do you all think?

Jan 21, 2010 12:07 AM ET #4 (permalink)

I love everything Devin Townsend's done so far, except for Ki, but I probably just haven't listened to it enough yet, haha. The dude is fucking brilliant.

Jan 21, 2010 1:12 AM ET #5 (permalink)

HevyDevy is an undeniable genius, yeah. No idea what label they're on man.

Jan 22, 2010 10:23 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Was the genius of Devin Townsend in question?

Neurosis and Isis are two recent discoveries of mine that are quickly climbing towards the top of my pantheon of music.

Jan 25, 2010 6:24 PM ET #7 (permalink)

The thing I love about this particular genre is that there is no f***ing around here on these grounds. These are musicians relentless in pushing the envelope, so you always have to respect that. And I would say this decade has shown so strong in this form of metal. I was lucky enough to still be able to pick up The Incident while I was in Iraq and LOVED it. Everyone knows between the buried and me here, and I love the musical experience I get between their last two cd's, they have certainly taken the right direction for themselves. If I scroll over any unheard prog metal gems on my iPod ill make sure to post it!

Jan 26, 2010 8:52 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Porcupine Tree are brilliant, as is Devin Townsend. No question about it.

As for Isis, I don't know, I just can't seem to get into them as much as a lot of other people have. They're not bad, they just don't really do anything for me. Maybe I just haven't given them enough listening time. Same thing goes for Katatonia.

Feb 3, 2010 12:38 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Isis is def a grower. Neither are they meant for listening to one track and enjoying melodies/hooks as their aren't atleast many ever memorable moments. Isis, for me atleast, is about getting lost in the soundscape. They are something you feel. About getting lost in the calm, tranquil, relaxing, and clean moments which flow very nicely with the heavier, sludgish riffs.

Feb 18, 2010 1:55 AM ET #10 (permalink)

^^ mr. fat arse,

Isis is the modern sound of what the great 90's had left beneath their disappearance and demonstrates the art form so strong so in a spiritual manner as the bunch of twisted morons in the early 90's used to, have u got the celestial?? and also that 'subterranean meditation' not a bad choice too.

Feb 18, 2010 1:10 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Mr. Zarathustra, I see you came on here and immediately start name calling and talking shit in a number of threads. That may be how a lot of forums are on the Internet, but not here. You just set the record for fastest banned member. Congrats.

Feb 18, 2010 2:12 PM ET #12 (permalink)

deathbringer FTW!

Feb 19, 2010 10:22 PM ET #13 (permalink)

i dont think zarathustra was trying to be really mean. i just think he was in the moment, or something like that. i wouldnt be so quick to ban him man.

on another note: devin townsend is one of my favorite artists of all time! every single one of his albums are brilliant in their own ways. btw: i had to listen to ki about 6 or 7 times before i really got into it. its nice to see more hevydevy fans in here...

Feb 22, 2010 4:43 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Love Tool. My favourite band since Lateralus.

Love Opeth, but I had a much later introduction to them (got to see them in Melbourne last year, tho; thought they were awesome, altho a couple of punters who had seen them before said they weren't as good as on previous visits - which is great for me because it means they could be even more awesome next time!).

Still occasionally indulge in the old-school prog I fell in love with at school (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd), but must admit metal takes up most of my listening time; may have to revisit Porcupine Tree (listened to a cpl of tracks on YouTube after they were mentioned in dispatches and wasn't overly impressed, but they could be a grower ...)

Feb 24, 2010 8:07 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Between the Buried and Me

and

Behold...the Arctopus

Feb 25, 2010 9:32 AM ET #16 (permalink)

I can't get over Crack the Skye. From beginning to end, a perfect album. "Quintessence" I sometimes skip because "Letting Go" tends to get repetitive, but wow.

Still getting into Opeth, but been a long-time Porcupine Tree fan, and am currently diggin' hard on "Fear of a Blank Planet". Oh, and Cynic's new one, "Traced in Air."

Mar 2, 2010 9:45 AM ET #17 (permalink)

i'm NOT THAT into prog but i do love bands such as tool, dream theater, mastodon and, the almighty GOJIRA!!

Mar 2, 2010 2:46 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Ikuinen Kaamos. There sound is similar to Opeth at times, but they aren't just some clone. It's tasty stuff.
A couple people above mentioned Porcupine Tree, and I've been meaning to check them out for the last three years or so, but I still haven't. What are a couple albums that would be good for me to check out first? I don't necessarily want their best work, just the best starting point.

(This post was last edited on March 2, 2010 at 2:46 PM ET.)

Mar 2, 2010 5:11 PM ET #19 (permalink)

@Nat - After reading a few of your posts in other threads, you could start at either end of their discography and be all right. As the years pass, Steven gets heavier, less "atmosphere for the sake of atmosphere", but without diluting the originality of the band.

I started around the time of "In Absentia", and went backwards for a while - "The Sky Moves Sideways" being first, I believe, and quite good for it's time. Over the course of two decades, it went from straight prog to prog metal, and my favorites are, in order - "Deadwing", followed by "Fear of a Blank Planet", and then "In Absentia." The recently released "The Incident" is growing on me, as well, though it seems to be stepping away, by and large, from a lot of what I liked about Deadwing and Fear. "Flicker" is an awesome, epic track from The Incident.

Like NIN or KMFDM, there are dozens of remixes and singles, some EPs, and such, but if you stick with the full-length albums you'll still have days of music to peruse.

Apr 1, 2010 11:33 AM ET #20 (permalink)

If you like Prog Metal, you should check out my band Eternal Essence

www.myspace.com/eternalessence
www.eeband.net

Apr 5, 2010 4:37 PM ET #21 (permalink)

im in a prog/metal band called "Fools Haven"

the audio sucks cuz its recorded live with the old guitarist ^^
PLZ TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF US!!!

www.myspace.com/foolshaven

Apr 26, 2010 2:51 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Been in a Tool and an Opeth binge lately... and Neurotic: Crack the sky is an amazing album The Last Baron, best song on the album or best song on the album... well i guess next to the czar.

May 2, 2010 11:56 AM ET #23 (permalink)

I haven't heard much prog metal, but I'm really getting into it. LOVE Dream Theater, Tool and Between the Buried and Me.

May 13, 2010 12:59 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Opeth. Progressive death metal. awesome.

May 14, 2010 3:27 AM ET #25 (permalink)

i heard somewhere that gojiras workin on new shit so ive got my panties all in a twisted bunch between my cheeks in elated expectation. Crack the skye= fucking win+awesome. I actually hated mastodon before that album so that should tell you right there how great it is. ........old prog is harder for me to get into...im still not a huge fan of pink floyd tho i do respect em. Emerson lake& palmer and that crazy dutch band called Focus are what really tickle my fancy, yknow, the real wacky shit lol

(This post was last edited on May 14, 2010 at 3:29 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum