"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Displaying posts 51 - 57 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 57 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Mar 6, 2010 2:35 PM ET #51 (permalink)

@NemesisTSC -- Heh. I saw a headline a few months back; I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was indicating that musical taste had something to do with a gruesome spread-the-guts-all-over-the-walls multiple murder that some obscure musician had committed. Dreading a wave of bogus bad publicity, I clicked the link thinking "pleaselethimnotbeametalhead, pleaselethimnotbeametalhead, pleaselethimnotbeametalhead... horrorcore rap? THANK GREAT CTHULHU, HE'S A RAPPER!!!!"

Back on topic, for me it's the same as what many others here have said: a combination of genuinely loving the music (and not just the most obvious/popular bands) and of the attitude-- being able to think for yourself and make your own choices (and own & take responsibility for those choices) without worrying what "they" are going to think.

By some people's definition of metalhead I qualify, by others I don't-- I don't look particularly Metal most of the time, nor do I have what could be called a "Metal lifestyle", whatever the fuck that means. But I don't argue about it, because I really don't care how anyone else defines the word or whether I fit into their metalhead ontology or not. It's not a word that's ever going to have a precise, universally agreed upon definition.

Heh, when a group of people have solidly rejected the very idea of "dogma" on a fundamental level (as I would argue metalheads have), you're going to have a hard time finding much that everyone in that group agrees on.

(This post was last edited on March 6, 2010 at 7:05 PM ET.)

May 7, 2011 8:50 PM ET #52 (permalink)

To be a true metalhead, you must listen to metal. You don't have to dress or act the part (even though I do.) and you don't have to go to concerts. (hey maybe you can't afford it, or maybe the only bands to tour your area were Fall out Boy and Nickelback. Those faggots.)

May 7, 2011 9:58 PM ET #53 (permalink)

My existence proves my metalness.............bitches.

May 16, 2011 9:50 AM ET #54 (permalink)

comes from the heart i do think
but a must is going to concerts and join the wall of death or circle pit
and yes id do got the shirts and the rings

May 16, 2011 9:56 AM ET #55 (permalink)

One ring to rock them all.

I never take part in pits or anything though.

Jun 1, 2011 6:28 PM ET #56 (permalink)

You just gotta FEEL metal! listening to it because it's cool just makes you a hipster, and listening to it because it's not cool makes you... obnoxious (and a hipster). As long as you don't give a damn WHO or WHAT your "image" is of, then you've got it right.

Jun 3, 2011 2:10 AM ET #57 (permalink)

My view:

While a big part of being a metalhead is appreciating the music, I believe a bigger part is the lifestyle and the way one approaches obstacles in life. The "Fuck it/I don't give a fuck" mentality. And most people don't see it, but when we congregate in shows there's always a deep comradery for each other. The type of comradery where you just met the guy/girl and you feel like you've known them for years. I hope and I'm also quite sure that that will never go away.

I was on the way to work yesterday and dude had a Lamb of God shirt on, and of course its hard to let someone know you're a metalhead when you're in a suit or a security uniform (I was in a suit one day and some kid in a Pantera shirt looked at me like I was mocking him when I threw the horns up...That kinda blows). But usually once you throw up the horns its that universal "FUCK YEAH!" reaction. I love the way we can fraternize. I feel that the comradery is key to being a true metalhead. Hell, there are even studies that show metalheads are the most social of music subcultures. That whole stereotype that we're a bunch of either quiet and reserved school-shooters, or that we're a bunch of loud, drunk and angry knuckledraggers is preposterous.

Now after music appreciation and comradery, a true metalhead FEELS IT (What IT is, I don't know, its an intangible factor). A true metalhead feels it in their heart and soul. That part of you that just wants to break shit when you're pissed, the part of you that wants that adrenaline rush from feeling close, almost ONE with death. The feeling is love, hate, life and death all at once. That feeling is only followed by headbanging to your favorite song, or a good song is playing and you get that feeling again.

I know some of this shit is kind of off the wall, but thats my experience of being a metalhead. All of that is my conclusion drawn from my experience. That is what I believe makes a true metalhead

(This post was last edited on June 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum