"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Jan 22, 2010 7:38 PM ET #26 (permalink)

I seriously dont think a metal head should be defined for what he drinks, eats, wears, walks, etc
being a metal head is a mater of personal choice.
I started listening to metal like danzig, iron maiden, sepultura, overkill, morbid angel, cannibal corpse between my age of 6 to 10 year old and it kinda "branded" my musical choices, i do hear other kinds of music (i do like opera music lol) but metal always been there since i was a kid, and i doubt it will ever change, i dont think its a way of life, i think its more of a personal feeling that compels us to feel good when guitars are shredding and the rithym is high, as for the clothes someone wears i think i will quote Napalm death - Sceptic in Perspective : "fashion talks, the bullshit flies"

Jan 27, 2010 9:55 AM ET #27 (permalink)

I do think being a metalhead does go pretty far beyond just listening to the music. For me, it permeates through nearly every aspect of my life. Wake up and go to sleep to it. Drive to it. It affects my general outlook on everything. Listening to this kind of music does set you apart from a lot of people and the "status quo". It did me and I was glad for it. It allows me to stay true to my own beliefs and principles when others oppose them. That's what makes a metalhead. Stepping off the well-trodden path and saying f*ck you, I'll make my own way."

Jan 27, 2010 10:17 AM ET #28 (permalink)

Again, for those of you who haven't seen it. Metal: A Headbangers Journey. I've never heard it summed up in such a way that doesn't offend me and perfectly describes what it is to be a metalhead.

Jan 28, 2010 7:49 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Richard Simmonds is pretty metal!

Seriously I go with AP1. I do have band tees (wearing a Bleeding Through tee now). And I have an Arch Enemy bumper sticker on my wheelchair.

Jan 29, 2010 10:36 AM ET #30 (permalink)

DIE: That is the most metal thing I've heard in weeks. Gives new meaning to metal on metal.

Jan 29, 2010 10:51 AM ET #31 (permalink)

ANVIL!

Jan 29, 2010 1:05 PM ET #32 (permalink)

Tricky question. In my opinion there's no way telling. My answer is, You're simply into metal, and it may be one of the most important things in your life. That's how I see it. I listen to anything from Ministry to Miles Davis, from Slayer to Sibelius, But Metal is the one music "genre" I couldn't live without. It's a big part of my life and it's always been that way.

BG1, Agreed again. The headbangers journey is essential viewing. Pretty incredible to think that metal is actually forbidden in certain countries.

Jan 30, 2010 2:47 AM ET #33 (permalink)

Metal taught me to lead a life right from therewhere the rest seemed to have obstacles and think from the very point where other seemed to be clueless, moreover what i think and what i believe outbursts in my behaviour, that's all!

Jan 30, 2010 5:27 AM ET #34 (permalink)

have to agree with oz

same thing for me as well when i just started out on the road of metal i did think everyone should lissen to this metal band and that metal band
it changed not so much for me afther all these years
i still live and breath metal
and still got the rings and t shirt
now i am a old man but still play metal music and go to concerts not so much the moshpit any more
it costs to much mone i do lose my glasses in the mosh pit

but on the end it does not matter how you look metal music comes from our heart and our black soul

but hell yeah if there would be metal president it would be bg

Jan 30, 2010 6:49 PM ET #35 (permalink)

"Pretty incredible to think that metal is actually forbidden in certain countries."

Stay tuned, politicians already tried to outlaw some outta here! Fact is if we let them, metal will probably become a forbidden music, much like drugs, when they say its imoral and drive youngsters to commit crime... lol
i swear a god i dont know if i cry or laugh my ass off due to those neet suits.

A true metal head doesnt need to prove anything, he just is, thats all!!!

Feb 2, 2010 3:02 AM ET #36 (permalink)

like BG1 has said before, metal: a headbangers journey does sum it up nice. metal transcends being just a genre of music, it defines the lifestyle that says this is my life, these are my choices, and if you cant deal with that then fuck you coz i cud not care any less. it is sticking up for what you believe in. of course a hatred for the establishment and the system i think is another constant... rejecting the world as it is handed to you and taking your freedom in your own hands.

Feb 3, 2010 7:40 PM ET #37 (permalink)

A true metal head,is one that stays true to his or her metal roots. When you start out listening to metal,Ive found that you are usually into only one band,then expand upon the variety and eventually will reach the extreme metal genres. But sticking to it becomes the hard part. Many Posers have I seen who have been into metal and lost their "trueness" (funny offtrack story) There was a kid I know named dylan, Biggest poser in the world,always did what his friends wanted or was the latest stlye. Went to the guitar store one day and bought a Guitar. Guys at the guitar store told him it was a Gibson. Turned out to be an Epiphone (never want to go to that store) He came over to couple of friends of mine and said "hey guys,I just went and bough a Gibson Epiphone!" That was when he was into metal. Bout 2 years ago I think. Now hes one of those little rap punks... Didnt stay true to his roots. My point being a True metal head stays true to their roots and doesnt stray from the path.

Feb 5, 2010 8:55 AM ET #38 (permalink)

NemesisTSC, Maybe that will happen... maybe some new movement raises once again and they'll ban metal for good.
They've been banning/censoring metal album covers for years so who knows. When it comes down to crime, I think they should ban Hip hop and RnB since that's what most criminals are into these days (or so it seems). I personally couldn't care less if they did, actually ;)

Feb 16, 2010 8:31 AM ET #39 (permalink)

WOLF7, they can try to ban metal all they wanna, they will always fail, history proves me right, metal is no longer an "outcast society", but this reminds me of manipulation of the media whore, that whenever a massacre takes place, metal is always to blame, just gets me angry that scum comits the deeds and points the finger at metal as its a way to prevert minds of the people, i dont think anyone in "power" really understands the metal comunity and what stands all about, thus the way to control peoples mind is to target a single group and wish they perish... no way in hell a true HEADBANGER will let that happen... and remember, some bands are actualy banned from certain countries, the censorship is not targeting just album art or songs, they already managed to ban certain musicians from certain "civilised" north western countries, people just need to stick together for this to be avoid.

PS: forgive me for my poor english

Feb 18, 2010 1:24 AM ET #40 (permalink)

That's the main reason why bands like Xasthur and burzum cry and shout loud in their vicinity pointing towards the frailties lurking beneath the so called humans. Who's to blame and who 's not to be?? Rather the mirror ideology can perfectly manifest the weakness inside them, if u know what i mean.

Feb 24, 2010 9:40 AM ET #41 (permalink)

To me, being 'metal' is about knowing where your balls are, standing with your head up high and giving respect where respect is due. Some people have told me that ideology is more in tune with NYHC, though.

Feb 24, 2010 9:47 AM ET #42 (permalink)

metal is stay true to you music it comes from the heart
liisen only to metal and nothing else 24 hours aday

Mar 2, 2010 12:49 AM ET #43 (permalink)

Listening to metal. End of discussion.

Mar 2, 2010 10:11 AM ET #44 (permalink)

Dasher: Wrong answer. There really is much more to it than that. BTW Blitzen is the most metal of all reindeers. lol.

Mar 2, 2010 1:49 PM ET #45 (permalink)

Really? I thought it was Prancer. *In flaming gay guy voice* He's SUPER!

Mar 3, 2010 1:34 AM ET #46 (permalink)

Okay now, tr000 metalhead:

Long ass greasy hair
Denim, blue
Metal shirts - an absolute must
lots of black shit
army shit too, camo shorts
bullet belts
leather - also stinky
facial hair, even if your female
wristbands/armbands with gnarly studs on 'em
combat boots - also a must
if not army boots then the most haggard sneakers you can find
only listen to "tr000" metal, which is black metal apparently
worship satan
burn a church while your at it, punch a couple babies too.
don't shower either
anyone not fitting this description is a poser

wait, was this a serious discussion? sorry guys

(This post was last edited on March 3, 2010 at 1:41 AM ET.)

Mar 3, 2010 2:24 AM ET #47 (permalink)

SM: That sounds like yer mum. :P Or Blind's...

Mar 3, 2010 10:04 AM ET #48 (permalink)

Hey! My mother doesn't have ANY facil hair! She's a fairly hairless woman. In fact, she even shaves her BALL SACK.

Mar 3, 2010 10:22 AM ET #49 (permalink)

Wait. Did someone say bunch a couple babies??

FUCK YEAH!!!! Now thats metal. \m/\m/

Mar 3, 2010 10:46 AM ET #50 (permalink)

if i think about it its me a metal head

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum