"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> What do YOU think makes a true metal head ?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 57 1 2 3 Last
Jan 18, 2010 7:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I ano if anyone done this yet but if they have i cant be fucked going to look for it so im doing my own

Question as in the title ..

You can answer differently if you think its different for a man or a woman :)

Discuss

Jan 18, 2010 7:29 PM ET #2 (permalink)

BG1 is pretty iconic.

Jan 18, 2010 7:41 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Yeah gotta agree with Agent there. I don't think you get more metal than BG. Either him or Katon from Hirax. God damn that guys is just... metal.

Jan 18, 2010 7:44 PM ET #4 (permalink)

She's not asking who is the most true metalhead, but what makes a true metalhead. I think a "true metalhead" is a metalhead who tries their best to explore underground metal and genuinely enjoys it.

Jan 18, 2010 7:50 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I don't really know what makes a true metalhead to be honest. When I was thirteen I was all about the whole "Heavy metal rules the world man! Everyone should listen to it!" kinda thing. I sounded like Sebastian Bach really lol. Maybe a true metalhead is someone who eats, sleeps and breathes metal like Rob Halford but I dunno, you'd get some metal fans that say his lifestyle isn't metal. Frankly I don't feel it's an important question to me nowadays. I refer to myself much more as a "music lover" than as a "metalhead" because I enjoy listening to everything from Pet Shop Boys to Biohazard to Miles Davis, so my head isn't full of metal music.

P.S. If I may say so IN, you like very pretty in your latest avatar there.

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM ET.)

Jan 18, 2010 9:52 PM ET #6 (permalink)

i think people who wear all black and those studs, dye their hair black and get piercings on their face because they think it looks cool and think that "this is how a metalhead should look like" are posers. what Oz said is what a true metal head would say, he wouldnt give half a shit about what other people listen to or even about this question. idk what a metal life style could be but i think that when people listen to metal they should get a feeling that you can only get when you listen to metal you should get a feeling which you can only get when you listen to metal, you are metalhead, and that is what all true metalheads get. so basically anyone who listens to metal just because everyone else is listening to it and calling your self an idk, satanist or something, you are not a true metal head

Jan 18, 2010 10:01 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Oz's post completely sums it up for me, also agreed with CoHace. You wouldn't be able to tell that I listen to metal by looking at me. I've got style, muthafucka! Haha.

Really, the only way one can kind of say they live a "metal lifestyle" is if they are in a touring metal band or work in the industry.

Jan 18, 2010 10:45 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I'd have to wonder how much of a "true metalhead" I am if you go down the lifestyle road. Being a [metal] geek, I definitely don't fit the bill, despite an eyebrow piercing. But I listen to metal about 8 hours every day, spend hours reading and posting news and running this site, and metal permeates much of what I do on a regular basis. And I'm teaching my kids (3 and 7) what good music is like :-) I realize I don't fit the stereotypical metalhead, but it doesn't really bother me in the least.

Jan 18, 2010 11:01 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I wanted to hear the different answer's i could get .. nothing is a wrong answer , i mean like i liked to dress up metal goth if im going to a concert but for day to day life like i mean i have the piercings and i do have lots of black clothes but none of my friend describe me as goth or whatever they just think its odd for a girl like me to enjoy metal as much as i do ..lol

I think the answer's that have been given so far are pretty substantial =D

For me a METAL HEAD would be any true die-hard metal fan any one who can sit through en entire metal album and can get the messages being portrayed across when your having a shit day and you play some metal and it makes you feel better ..

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM ET.)

Jan 19, 2010 1:32 AM ET #10 (permalink)

...being Robocop.

Jan 19, 2010 3:41 AM ET #11 (permalink)

...or Johnny 5

On topic, I agree 100% with the Oz man.

Jan 19, 2010 9:38 AM ET #12 (permalink)

Being unashamed of what you believe in, and your swagger makes you a metalhead. An open appreciation to diversity in music, culture, religion, politics and other peoples likes and dislikes makes you very much a metalhead. The fact that you walk your own walk and defy status quo by being who you are and not some trendy little poser who changes with the tide makes you a metalhead. If you don't go out of your way to prove to everyone in the world that you are a metalhead, IMO makes you a metalhead.

Plus I listen to metal sooooooooooooo...that always helps.

Jan 19, 2010 10:27 AM ET #13 (permalink)

*finishes his breakfast which consisted of a hand full of rusty nails* Thanks to all the peeps for the props, but I believe this question was most adequately answered in "Metal: A Headbangers Journey". My mother recently watched it and she actually gets me now (after 43 years). If you haven't seen it yet go see it now.

(This post was last edited on January 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM ET.)

Jan 19, 2010 12:15 PM ET #14 (permalink)

"No disassemble Johnny 5!"

I agree with a lot of you on this thread on what makes a metalhead. I particularly like what ap1 said, though.

Jan 19, 2010 1:09 PM ET #15 (permalink)

AP1 is on the money.
i still wear concert shirts every day and none of my friends do. sometimes people dont get it they think i ma still hanging on to my youth but i tell them this is who i am. this is my passion. i do enjoy other music but i thrive on metal. i listen to it on average 8-10 hours a day but sometimes i will throw in other stiff. i always wear concert shirts and it prevents me from fitting in wich i like. i feel i am true to myself. i absilutely do not do things to fit in with trends and mainstreamers, but i still get respect. if peole dont like me i am still the same person so they can fuck off. to me this is metal.

(This post was last edited on January 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM ET.)

Jan 19, 2010 1:10 PM ET #16 (permalink)

I agree with BG, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey does answer this question...but for me personally I'd say a deep belief in yourself, you got to have an open mind and respect other people's beliefs too. And like ap1 said being unashamed of what you believe in too, ok basically everything that ap1 said too.

Jan 19, 2010 1:51 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the props, though I don't wear metal T-Shirts anymore. My wife has pretty much broken me from that. If I were still single, rest assured I would wear metal shirts.

NP: In Flames= Gyroscope

Jan 19, 2010 4:01 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Sarah-jane: do you wear piercing when you go to concerts? if you do, its not a very smart thing to go into a mosh pit with piercing, imagine getting one of them ripped off of you and what not? lol THAT would be metal but, it would still hurt

BG: Metal: A Headbangers Journey is one of the best Metal Documentaries out there, Global Metal wasnt as good though. have you seen "Heavy: the story of Metal? thats a really good one too

Jan 21, 2010 10:09 PM ET #19 (permalink)

the answer here is simple...

Snoring with a mustaine snarl

Jan 21, 2010 10:22 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Oh man that sucks AP! I couldn't imagine not wearing a metal shirt or music related shirt of some kind any less than five days a week. Get a metal tattoo! She can't make you take that off!

Jan 21, 2010 10:42 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Oz: I have a Biohazard tat on my left forearm if that helps. Don't think for a second I don't miss my t-shirts. Gotta keep the old lady happy though. To paraphrase Braveheart: "She can take my life, but she can never take, MY FREEDOM!!!!"

Shit, now that I think about it, she kinda did take my freedom. Oh well. *cracks open beer* Sam Adams anyone?

Jan 21, 2010 10:44 PM ET #22 (permalink)

Samuel Adams. ALWAYS a good decision! That and Samuel Jackson

Jan 21, 2010 10:47 PM ET #23 (permalink)

i agree with oz. Someone asked me not long ago why I always wore a band t shirt, it realy baffled me as its been a few years since i've worn much else but i came up with an answer "how else are people gonna know what music i like?".
It'd feel wierd to wear anything else, I've made alot of good friends via "nice t shirt" comments.

Jan 22, 2010 1:33 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Ha, I was gonna say AP1 is not metal, but if you have a Biohazard tat, then that works. Still... letting your wife tell you what to wear? :-) Working from home, I can dress how I want, luckily. T-shirts are the norm, about 2/3 of them being band shirts.

Jan 22, 2010 2:01 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Most of the t-shirts I wear are band shirts, too (no surprise there), but I've also got a few Jack Daniel's t-shirts too. :)

lmao @ ap1's Braveheart quote. Thankfully my wife never minded when I wore band tees. She'd have been shit out of luck. :)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum