"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Classical Music

Posted in: Forum Home >> Non-Metal Music Discussion >> Classical Music

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 30 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 30 1 2 Last
Jan 17, 2010 8:51 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I'm wondering if there are any classical music fans around here. Even if you don't like it, what is your opinion on it?

Jan 17, 2010 9:08 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Yep - Bach, Handel, Chopin etc., baroque counterpoint stuff. Not a fan of Mozart. Prefer it played on an organ or cello or something, not a fan of piano or violin.

Jan 17, 2010 10:21 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Bach's fugues FTW. lol. I like classical, baroque, romantic period, etc. music. It's extremely relaxing. Cynic mentioned a few good composers, but I'd like to add Liszt, Vivaldi, and Wagner ("Ride of the Valkyries" is epic) among others.

Jan 17, 2010 10:32 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I'm more of a Bethoven guy myself, although Toccata and Fuge in D minor, (by Bach), is still my favorite classical piece.

Jan 17, 2010 10:44 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Beethoven's good, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he's quite as good as a lot of other classical/baroque/romantic composers.

Jan 18, 2010 4:19 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Cynic- Did you mean you don't like Mozart's piano works, or that you don't like piano period? I ask because Chopin is synonymous with piano. The only Mozart works I enjoy are his Requiem and Clarinet works.

I love Liszt, Schubert, Bach, Shostakovich, Rachmoninov, Prokofiev, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Philip Glass at times.

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM ET.)

Jan 18, 2010 6:17 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I pretty much don't like piano period (just the timbre of it doesn't sit well), but I enjoy music written for the piano. Piano has it's place and there are some songs with piano I enjoy (Widow's Wall by Hammers of Misfortune), but in general I prefer something more powerful (synths, organ, guitar etc.)

Jan 18, 2010 6:31 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I can somewhat understand that. Piano can be powerful, though. The fluid-like style of Chopin has become a bit cliche, but I like his technical proficiency. However, no one can rival Rachmoninov. Franz Liszt can be quite impressive too. But you're right, it's not the same kind of bone battering power of an organ.

Jan 18, 2010 8:03 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I'm not really a fan of classical music but I certainly appreciate it. I'm not ignorant to think "classical music is r8 gay" or anything and I used to regularly go to recorder concerts to hear classical music (by best friend was in the orchestra). It's certainly a fascinating type of music.

Jan 19, 2010 2:10 AM ET #10 (permalink)

Holy crap, someone else that's heard of Shosta! I don't mind Paganini and Brahms, either. Not too big on Chopin, though he does wow me. Debussey... meh. Bach and Beethoven are my favourites, along with Vivaldi's 'Seasons', and while Mozart flaws me with the genius of his music, most of his catalogue doesn't appeal to me. I love piano in classical music, but rarely like it elsewhere.

Jan 19, 2010 11:35 AM ET #11 (permalink)

Yeah...Shostakovich and Rachmoninov are by far my favorite composers. I enjoy the others I mentioned plus probably 50-100 more I forgot (Mendelssohn, Dvorak, Handel, Haydn, Salieri), but these two really stand out.

Jan 19, 2010 3:39 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Fuck I forgot all about Dvorak! What have I done?!?!!

Yeah man, Shosta is the bee's thighs for sure. Too much love.

Jan 19, 2010 3:52 PM ET #13 (permalink)

i think Classical Music is really cool, if you replaced the violins and trumpets and what not with guitars and drums, then classical music would be metal... thats just how i see it

Jan 20, 2010 3:56 AM ET #14 (permalink)

Hahah not quite that simple, but basically, yeah. Personally, I see a lot of similarities between classical and certain forms of electronica. They both tend to play with and around a central motif (or sometimes even a few motifs).

Jan 21, 2010 2:23 AM ET #15 (permalink)

What's people's opinions on Charles Ives? I'm having trouble making up my mind.

Jan 22, 2010 2:36 PM ET #16 (permalink)

How could I have forgotten Shostakovich?? I believe there's even a museum about him here in Iowa somewhere. I'd actually like to go there someday.. :)

Feb 1, 2010 4:09 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Wagner, Bach, Betoven, Motzart, Berlioz, Travorsky,Tchaikovsky and DeBussey are my favorites from the age. Then Paco De Lucia.

Feb 5, 2010 3:50 AM ET #18 (permalink)

The guitarists: Christopher Parkening and Andres Segovia! And Yngwie Malmsteen!

Feb 19, 2010 12:53 PM ET #19 (permalink)

i wuldn't mind listining to that type of music. if someone made me listin to it id like it. but for not ill stick to rock

Feb 19, 2010 1:16 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Debussy just never caught my interest. I think his stuff is just terribly boring, personally...

Feb 20, 2010 6:05 PM ET #21 (permalink)

^Sames. Though, to be fair, I've heard very little of his work.

Is anyone else absolutely in love with the music to the movie 'In Bruges'??

Feb 21, 2010 5:29 AM ET #22 (permalink)

some classical... but some orchestral movie scores..

basically anything i can chill out too. Mike Oldfield - music of the spheres is something id recommend

Feb 24, 2010 3:41 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Classical yupp has a soul and especially eastern classical not only orchestra ,piano or else but also the sound of flute tuching the classical notes zigme, etc has some specipied music showing culture of some region or or place

May 20, 2010 4:29 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Renaissance classical choral works are hypnotizing. I can totally see why people followed the crusades if they were hearing this prior to taking the cross. And you get bio-pics like Don Carlo Gesualdo: "When not murdering people, this Italian Prince wrote inventive and progressive madrigals."

Feb 10, 2011 9:20 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I kept seeing this pop up on Amazon and decided to get it finally:

The 99 Darkest Pieces Of Classical Music
http://www.amazon.com/99-Darkest-Pieces-Classical-Music/dp/B0048NUUS2/

99 MP3s for $5 or $6 - good way to try out a lot of stuff that might appeal to a metalhead.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Non-Metal Music Discussion forum