"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

THRASH METAL

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> THRASH METAL

Displaying posts 76 - 100 of 110 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Displaying posts 76 - 100 of 110 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Feb 25, 2010 2:04 AM ET #76 (permalink)

When thing comes to thrash metal then i can have no other choice except sodom and destruction.
Yeah, they have carried their legacy so well and obligedly year after year! While most of the bands get weary after two or three records, some displays their dignity so maturedly before and behind in the course of the battlefield called 'METAL'.

........"I Am the warRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Feb 25, 2010 5:27 AM ET #77 (permalink)

Sodom and Destruction are the masters of the art of TEH RIFF!

And the masters of the art of making non-crappy live albums! Live Without Sense is actually better than any of Destruction's studio albums!

Feb 25, 2010 5:41 AM ET #78 (permalink)

Nekro, you forgot Kreator (mmmmmm) been listening to hordes of chaos alot the past few days, and violent revolution.. nomnom. I have a suspition theyre going the way of exodus lately though, with releasing good, yet samey albums. Each new one seems to be repeating the one before, just getting a bit heavier each time haha, what do you think?

also, punk, anyone new to thrash should get some Overkill in their ears! asap! (this has nothing to do with the fact i'll be seeing them tonight in london *shifty eyes* also if anyones going, i'll be the bitch in the Obituary t shirt) I can't listen to Elimination without having a fit of pure joy tbh :p and if you like the fun stuff i reccomend Assassin too.

Feb 25, 2010 5:43 AM ET #79 (permalink)

It's all that Duke's fault.. if only that lovely chap Zetro was still in the band :P

Oh hi Ozz... *trollface*

Feb 25, 2010 7:34 AM ET #80 (permalink)

Overkill is one of the few bands that just defines the word "BADASS" :D

As far as Kreator goes, man, I love em to bits but they've been more about the extremity (first two albums) and the songs (next three and newer stuff) than the riffs themselves. Few Kreator riffs stick in my head whereas, I can pretty much name any Sodom/Destruction song based on just one of the riff xD

I like newer Kreator, though it isn't tr00 as fvck. I like how they add melody and groove while still being thrashy as fuck. I'll take newer Exodus over newer Kreator any day of the week though. I think Gary Holt is a great riff writer and I love every Exodus album, demo, compilation, live album - hell, I even love all their music vids LOL!

Speaking of german thrash, what does everyone think of Exumer? POSSESSED BY FIYAH!!!! *headbangs*

Feb 25, 2010 1:12 PM ET #81 (permalink)

"Terminal, what disease? You told me to late, what's this cough and wheeze?!" - Love that song...

Prokrastinator - I agree. Dukes is a cool dude and all, but he's not fit for Exodus. It's times like these where I wish Baloff was still alive. Have fun at the Overkill gig! They always know how to tear the place down.

Nekro - Exumer is a great band (Extremely underrated). FALLEN SAINT! Who cares if the main riff sounds a lot like Slayer's "Black Magic"?!

Feb 25, 2010 1:16 PM ET #82 (permalink)

Yeah, because the album has riffs that are 10 times better than it anyway!!

Feb 25, 2010 11:52 PM ET #83 (permalink)

Somewhat agree with that statement. Exumer is a great band though.

On the topic of German Thrash, have you heard of Holy Moses?

Feb 26, 2010 12:22 AM ET #84 (permalink)

Love Holy Moses, man. Only heard Finished With the Dogs, but fuck, that's a great album. Vicious.

Feb 28, 2010 6:44 PM ET #85 (permalink)

by old thrash metal, do you mean bands like slayer, sodom, ect...

Feb 28, 2010 7:25 PM ET #86 (permalink)

Just noticed your posts Proky and all I can say is, aahhhhh fuck ya. I love both Dukes albums and can't wait for the new one. However, I think this may have something to do with the delivery, much like Sepultura. Both Rob Dukes and Derrick Green have a more hardcore way of singing (an y'all know how much I be lovin' dat hardcore) whereas Zetro and Cavalera are straight up metal singers, Baloff I feel was also more of a hardcore singer but that can be debated and I don't care that much anyway. I tried listening to Tempo Of The Damned but Zetro's vocals seemed really bad on that one. I can listen to Fabulous Disaster stuff no probs but that album really put me off. I'd also say that the last two Exodus albums (not including Bonded By Blood remake) have quite a bit of originality to them and don't sound samey, at least not to me. Bear in mind though that Exodus, Kreator and other bands like Onslaught have had Andy Sneap behind the board and he has a way of doing things that you just know is his stamp.

Feb 28, 2010 7:42 PM ET #87 (permalink)

"Finished With The Dogs" is one of my favourite thrash albums, Sabina is awesome. Oh and I've always been a way bigger Kreator fan than Destruction/Sodom. Pleasure to Kill my friends.

Feb 28, 2010 7:54 PM ET #88 (permalink)

I don't know, I thought Zetro's vocals on "Tempo of the Damned" were great. He sounded a lot more angry than he did on his previous efforts with Exodus.

On the Kreator/Sodom/Destruction debate, I'd have to say I like Kreator best as well, but that's probably because I haven't heard as much Sodom and Destruction as I have Kreator (I have every Kreator studio album except for "Cause For Conflict," and I only have 4 Destruction and 4 Sodom albums).

Feb 28, 2010 8:01 PM ET #89 (permalink)

Don't have anything of Sodom. Have a Destruction DVD and a shirt and I have three Kreator albums. Out of the three I'd probably go with Kreator, followed by Destruction. Sodom are good but I was never a huge fan.

I was just checking out some more of Tempo Of The Damned and the vocals aren't as bad as I previously thought, the song that put me off was "Shroud Of Urine." I've never been big on Zetro's vocals anyway. They're alright but not worth all the butt hurt from people who don't like Dukes.

Feb 28, 2010 8:13 PM ET #90 (permalink)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Dukes is great, in my opinion, but not my favorite Exodus vocalist.. that's got to be Baloff, but I might be biased because "Bonded by Blood" was just a monster. Perfect album, if you ask me.

Feb 28, 2010 8:42 PM ET #91 (permalink)

Definitely one of the best thrash albums out there and probably one of the best debuts in metal.

One of my other favourite thrash albums has got to be Onslaught's "The Force" despite it's crap front cover and title lol. I must say that unlike alot of people with BBB, I wouldn't mind if Onslaught re-recorded it because the production is dog shit.

Mar 25, 2010 9:35 PM ET #92 (permalink)

Going out to newer thrash, my vote goes to a band from Colorado called Havok. They are true thrash.

Mar 26, 2010 6:25 AM ET #93 (permalink)

"One of my other favourite thrash albums has got to be Onslaught's "The Force" despite it's crap front cover and title lol. I must say that unlike alot of people with BBB, I wouldn't mind if Onslaught re-recorded it because the production is dog shit."

Blasphemy. Everything about that album is awesome. The cover makes me want to mutilate a virgin on Eid and jack off inside a mosque - as does the music, production and everything else about the album.

Sep 1, 2011 3:51 PM ET #94 (permalink)

Sorry if I'm digging in an old thread. But I really love Thrash Metal. It got me ito Metal through Metallica and then the rest of the Big 4. Out of the 4 I like Slayer the most. But I also like Megadeth & Metallica. Lately I started with Anthrax. Anyway. I was lookimg for other bands and I fond Sacred Reich & Dark Angel. So far I got The American Way and Darkness Descends. And I think I'll get their other albums too. What other thrash band could you guys recommend, especially with a similar style (like Slayer & Dark Angel)?

Sep 1, 2011 4:39 PM ET #95 (permalink)

R10

Wow,holy old fuckin thread! Dude,just into thrash eh? You'll need Exodus' Bonded By Blood record for starters. Hook.yourself with some old Overkill,get Doomsday Deciever by Flotsam and Jetsam. Also,check out some of the German thrash that came out at the same time: Kreator/Pleasure to Kill, some Destruction,Sodom. Also Death Angels first two,Ultra Violence and Frolic . After that,hit up some of these new " retro" thrashers, Evile,Warbringer,Havok,etc.

Sep 2, 2011 7:57 AM ET #96 (permalink)

Hey R10! Yeah I really love Thrash. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely going to give them a try. I informed myself about overkill and I think they'll be next. I already got Kreator's Pleasure to Kill and I like it. Thanks for your album suggestions on Exodus, Flotsam and Jetsam etc. What album do you think is the best to get into Sodom and Destruction?

Sep 2, 2011 9:41 AM ET #97 (permalink)

If you really like Slayer, try Demiricous - they're like Slayer + death metal or a more extreme Slayer. Also Testament is excellent. Personal favorite is "The Gathering" by far.

Sep 2, 2011 10:30 AM ET #98 (permalink)

Testament 100% RECOMMENDABLE

Sep 2, 2011 10:54 AM ET #99 (permalink)

Alright thanks. I'll check those bands out. I've also read about Testament and I thought I should listen some of their stuf, but strangely I haven't yet... It's time!

Sep 2, 2011 12:52 PM ET #100 (permalink)

R10

While there not catorgorized as thrash,but they made thier mark at the same time,Mercyful Fate and King Diamond should get some plays. Mercyfuls Dont Break the Oath record is an all time classic. Kings Abagail and Fatal Portrait records were awesome. Another couple of thrash bands who came out in the late 80's were Forbidden;Violence;andHeathen. Canada had some good ones to in Annihilator and Sacrifice. Those early Dark Angel records were awesome,sounds like.you got into them already.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum