"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

THRASH METAL

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> THRASH METAL

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 110 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 110 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Jan 17, 2010 9:59 AM ET #1 (permalink)

OK YOU THRASH FANATICS OUT THERE, OPEN UP WITH WHATEVER THRASH TALK YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT!!!

THRASH METAL ABOVE ALL ELSE!!!

Jan 17, 2010 1:49 PM ET #2 (permalink)

ill get it going. I have been into thrash since 1985. i became aware of it through Metallica. i dove into it like a diver into water. i looked everywhere i could for thrash albums to buy. one band that no-one ever talks about that i thought was an excellent thrash band was Znowhite. female singer, great thrash riffs, and bad ass grooves overall. another band that never got mentioned came out of brazil called Overdose. Sepultura took all the limelight and Overdose got "overlooked", which is a real tragedy. i am a Sepultura fan, so im not bashing them. anybody have any bands that they like that didnt get any attention? if so, tell the world and we can all enjoy the music!!!!

Jan 17, 2010 6:04 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Hirax deserves alot more recognition than they get. Great band with interesting vocal style. For a short time in the late 80s, Paul Baloff was their singer.

Jan 17, 2010 10:37 PM ET #4 (permalink)

^ Yeah, Hirax is definitely underrated. I don't understand why they didn't get bigger.

Also, Heathen is another thrash band that should have been way bigger than they were. Their first 2 albums were (and still are) great. I haven't heard anything from their later releases though, but I do know that their guitarist Lee Altus has been in Exodus since '05 (and he's still in Heathen).

Jan 18, 2010 6:53 PM ET #5 (permalink)

You're not wrong there HH, Heathen were/are a fantastic band that were criminally overlooked. I can't wait for the new album. That reminds me, I really must buy the new Hirax record too. A friend of mine suggested we mention Holy Moses. Can't say I've heard them to be honest but I'll give 'em a go.

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 8:15 PM ET.)

Jan 18, 2010 8:33 PM ET #6 (permalink)

To start with i'd say Death Angel deserve more respect in the metal world, they might already get alot if you're into thrash but i'm shocked to hear just how few people take note of them outside of the genre. I recently had a friend of mine (labeling himself as a thrasher, but more towards this new popular wave if you know what i mean) saying they werent as cool as municipal waste (:s) then realising his mistake now hails the ultra violence as his favourite album, hah.

And I know Oz will hate me for mentioning them but Sadus are way to unknown for my liking. The sheer technical skill they have as musicians (I mean DiGiorgio on his own.. he's worth a listen in any band) commands some royal ozz-loving (yeah you heard).

Jan 18, 2010 8:50 PM ET #7 (permalink)

That's ok Proky, whether I like them or not, Sadus are definitely worth respecting and no-one can deny DiGorgio's talent. I fucking love me some Death Angel though. I was talking about them here yesterday I tink.

Jan 18, 2010 8:59 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I'd bum me some Death Angel dude, and good for you man! keep on preaching haha

Jan 18, 2010 9:04 PM ET #9 (permalink)

While we're on the subject, I think it's about time we mentioned some Onslaught up in here! One of my personal favourites in the thrash field. New album this year, great stuff!

Jan 18, 2010 9:28 PM ET #10 (permalink)

i think Voivod is pretty amazing, this one of my fav music videos and songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Ly8nstfxo

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM ET.)

Jan 18, 2010 9:34 PM ET #11 (permalink)

You're not wrong there. Voivod are bloody brilliant.

Jan 18, 2010 9:39 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Onslaught, if anyone gets the chance to see them do it, no matter who you have to sleep with for a ticket! Such a tight band live.
Also I've just remembered Sabbat..

Jan 18, 2010 9:53 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Oz: hell yeah, and they're Canadian too =)

Jan 18, 2010 10:32 PM ET #14 (permalink)

They certainly are. They're from Quebec if I'm not mistaken.

And another good point you have risen there, Sabbat rule so hard.

Jan 18, 2010 10:43 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Somebody on this site recommended that I check out Artillery sometime back in ze day. Whoever it was, I salute you.

Jan 18, 2010 11:57 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Glad to see that the thrash is comin alive in here!!!

Jan 19, 2010 1:32 AM ET #17 (permalink)

Holy crap, never seen that Voivod clip before, that was amazing!

Jan 19, 2010 8:03 AM ET #18 (permalink)

MUCH LOVE TO METALLICA .... thats all :D

Jan 19, 2010 12:03 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Voivod are one of those bands that I never really got around to checking out, but that clip was awesome.

Jan 19, 2010 3:44 PM ET #20 (permalink)

Natsquatch: yeah Artillery is amazing, Therapy is my song by them

Jan 19, 2010 4:48 PM ET #21 (permalink)

New Thrash = Warbringer. LOVE those guys. Hard workin little son's a bitches too.

HH: Really? Piggy and the boys absolutely shred.

(This post was last edited on January 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM ET.)

Jan 19, 2010 4:55 PM ET #22 (permalink)

BG: was Piggy the one that died of cancer? i remember seeing him on Metal: A Headbangers Journey and on the commentary they said that one of the guys from Voivod died...

Jan 20, 2010 7:39 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Check out Living Sacrifice's first album. Some great thrash before they turned metalcore.

Jan 20, 2010 12:17 PM ET #24 (permalink)

All I can say is Watchtower!

Oh and Voivod are amazing.

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2010 1:30 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Artillery: YES, and also check out Assassin, excellent stuff..

oh btw, metallica can suck my short and curlies

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum