"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

NWOBHM bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> NWOBHM bands

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 36 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 36 1 2 Last
Jan 17, 2010 3:02 AM ET #1 (permalink)

So like most metalheads I listen to my Diamond Head, Witchfinder General, Angel Witch etc. but I also happen to know that NWOBHM was a massive explosion of bands that tapered off as the 80s went on and there must be some awesome bands out there that I haven't heard before.

This has been reinforced by finding the band Legend, whom Slough Feg cover. They're not actually British but awesome of course, and came out around that time (http://www.myspace.com/legendfromamerica) . So any recommendations of bands from those knowledgeable out there??

Jan 17, 2010 4:11 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Tank
Raven
Atomkraft
Warfare

Are you familiar with any of these?

Jan 17, 2010 4:30 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Raven yeah cuz they toured with Metallica back in the day, was checking out Tank just before actually because they get talked about a bit here I think... not the other two though so thanks as usual Shred!

Jan 17, 2010 5:07 AM ET #4 (permalink)

hell yeah raven love this band
check out tygers of pantang
budgie

Jan 17, 2010 6:01 AM ET #5 (permalink)

I've never considered Budgie a NWOBHM band cause their first album was released in 1970/71, one of the two. So they're more in line with the first wave of metal bands like Black Sabbath, Blue Cheer and Cactus. Tank are very good indeed, their founder used to be in The Damned. Jaguar are pretty good too, as well as early Praying Mantis.

Jan 17, 2010 7:57 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Jaguar
Bronz
Praying Mantis

All of which i had the pleasure of seeing at the old Astoria a few years back.. with Diamond Head in support.. awesome gig..

Jan 17, 2010 10:35 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I just recently ordered Tank's "Honour & Blood" thanks to this site, lol. I was definitely impressed.

Jan 18, 2010 8:18 PM ET #8 (permalink)

There's something about the whole NWOBHM in general that I really love. It's amazing the impact it had considering it was killed pretty quickly by record companies, splits and the thrash movement. By the way, I'll be doing a Sunday Old School on another NWOBHM band soon and I haven't decided which one yet. Who would you all like to see featured?

Jan 19, 2010 4:45 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Why hasn't anyone recommended Saxon to Cynic yet? Is it too obvious? Am I crazy here? Also, UFO (even though they were more like 1 and 1/2 wave). MSG? Y&T?

Jan 20, 2010 4:18 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Blind - Which albums would you recommend for a first time Saxon listener like myself?

Anyone ever heard of Rock Goddess? They were an all-female NWOBHM act in the early 80's. Not one of the best, but pretty decent nonetheless.

Jan 20, 2010 6:38 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Umm.. Yeah, perhaps Saxon was just too obvious.?
They are... BY FAR...my favorite of all NWOBHM bands.! Hands down \m/
Another good one, that I havent seen mentioned., Girlschool

Shredder - "Denim and Leather" and "Wheels of Steel" are two classics that would be a great place to start... but then again, after obtaining their entire 21 disc collection, I have to say.. there really isnt a bad one out there.!
The latest release "Into the Labyrinth" is quite amazing.!!

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2010 7:00 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Motorcycle Man has always been one of my favourite Saxon songs, along with 20,000 Ft and I thought If I Was You was an outstanding one too. Samson are a good band to check out too. Bruce Dickinson was their first singer.

Jan 20, 2010 10:29 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Saxon are obvious, but cannot be strongly enough emphasised. Whoever mentioned Atomkraft up there has played well.

Jan 21, 2010 5:38 AM ET #14 (permalink)

bg did not want to bring up saxon because its normal that they belonged to the sceene
will see them this year on grasop

Jan 21, 2010 11:34 AM ET #15 (permalink)

Gotta say I'm bloody jealous of you Jackrum. I remember when that show was being held and me and a couple of mates tried to work out how to get there and shiz. Being skint, fifteen and idiots, we couldn't work out a way to get there.

Jan 22, 2010 2:06 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Notice how long I waited until I said I told ya so? Even though it was the obvious, Shredder is following up on it. My work here is done... Yep, yeh, yeah... *sighs*

Jan 22, 2010 2:15 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I've heard and read so many mixed reviews about Diamond Head, so I never really checked them out. Any recommendations about an album to start with?

Shredder: "Strong Arm of the Law" is my personal favorite Saxon album, but they've got a lot of great ones. The ones godlike mentioned are great to start with too.

Jan 23, 2010 7:36 AM ET #18 (permalink)

Dimond mate.. your going to hate me.

I got free tickets for that gig from a competition on the totalrock website. only about 50 people turned up and i met diamond head afterwards

Jan 23, 2010 11:57 AM ET #19 (permalink)

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Feb 15, 2010 4:17 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I know this discussion is kinda dead but i wanted to make my voice heard. The street smart vibe of nwbhm that oz was speakin of still has the same feel even 30+ years later. If you haven't heard saxon's latest album anyone reading this forum should. Also risking souding like sissy, i gotta say that def leppard on though the night and high and dry are great albums if you can get over the commercial part of their career from that point on.

(This post was last edited on February 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM ET.)

Feb 15, 2010 10:23 PM ET #21 (permalink)

im gonna be honest but i dont know what NWOBHM means/stands for :((

Feb 15, 2010 11:08 PM ET #22 (permalink)

new wave of british heavy metal

and now we know deadbeat can use google

Feb 15, 2010 11:22 PM ET #23 (permalink)

How about Virgin Steele? They technically aren't a NWOBHM band, being from Long Island and all, but they do have the whole "classic heavy metal" sound. Their first album was released in 1982, but their finest work actually came much later on with a streak of five consecutive masterpieces from '94 to 2000. They're quite worth your time.

Feb 17, 2010 4:46 AM ET #24 (permalink)

did think the new wave of britisch heavy metal
did create me on my metal vieuws the last 30 years
but indeed i did forget jaguar
did see them once live in holland

raven hell yeah waiting for their new album
damm saxon my all time fav band
got many fav bands but this one in the top 3 of metal bands for me
dont matter wich album you oick they are all good
remember
dudes and girls

and the band played on

Mar 1, 2010 10:56 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Guess I should post something since I started this thread. I have been reading it and cheers for all the recommendations - Hammerheart, "Lightning To The Nations" is what you are looking for, killer album and you'll know some tracks since Metallica has covered half of it.

Thanks for the Saxon recommendations, I'd given them a sly check out before but I know I'll need to take a double check on that now.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum