"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Technology ruining the art.

Posted in: Forum Home >> Extreme Metal >> Technology ruining the art.

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 26 1 2 Last
Jan 17, 2010 1:27 AM ET #1 (permalink)

The topic speaks itself!

Degenerating knacks, crap headed flairs, fake discoveries. Are these the one great 80's and 90's dreamt of??

Jan 17, 2010 3:07 AM ET #2 (permalink)

I thought I was with you up until "Degenerating knacks, crap headed flairs, fake discoveries". What the hell is that about.

Anyway, my personal gripes are: Generic computer generated/shopped cover art (see Suicide Silence) and clicky mechanical production (unless your Necrophagist).

Jan 17, 2010 5:11 PM ET #3 (permalink)

i think one of the best things about metal is the cover art cynic...you can tell a lot about an album by the artwork. i totally agree with you on the cover art of those "popular" metal bands. i think they try to get trendy with it, maybe lookin at cannibal corpse artwork from back in the day and make it accessible for the kids. i always love pickin up an album with super gory artwork and knowing that the audio terror inside is just that: absolute audio terror to the 700th degree not some regurgitated shit thats been done a thousand times over protools (see suicide silence and their 1000 counterparts)

Jan 17, 2010 7:00 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I don't understand how bands put so much effort into writing great music and then have the cover and booklet look like a total afterthought. I mean, Primordial is one of my favourite bands but TTND had the most boring booklet I've ever seen.

Jan 17, 2010 10:32 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the artwork can do so much to enhance "the album experience." I know it's foolish to judge an album by it's cover (look at The Beatles' White Album) but with extreme metal (death metal particularly) it's almost necessary. Sometimes I end up checking out new bands simply based on the cover..

Jan 17, 2010 10:35 PM ET #6 (permalink)

definently. i also dont like the "no lyrics" thing goin on with some bands. like hypocrisy for example. their newest one (which i think is the worst one) is the only one with the lyrics printed in the booklet. it sucks because theres nothing better than sitting down with the cd and reading along with the lyrics after having listened to the cd a bunch of times. just to get what theyre saying or just the idea of what theyre singing about...anyone else a little angered about this?

Jan 17, 2010 10:42 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I love it when bands print the lyrics, but it's not a dealbreaker. But it does further enhance the experience.

Jan 18, 2010 2:43 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I think it's a good thing in some cases when bands don't print their lyrics... Children of Bodom springs to mind immediately.

Jan 18, 2010 9:35 PM ET #9 (permalink)

hey nat! you wouldnt wanna know what those extremely drunken finns sing about? maybe it would be like the magic eye of metal lyrics where you'd have to be quite enebriated to comprehend them....the band i never wanna know what theyre singing (?) about is anaal nathrakh....it would probably strip the world of its sanity...or everyone would start killing each other maybe...

Jan 18, 2010 9:58 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Artwork is very important for the cd browsers. I know for sure because when im browsing and just grabbing things to take to the sample area, I definetly grab the more metal aspiring looking album covers. God knows how many great albums I miss out on because I overlook the cd. I try not to do that, just in case of that happening, but its kind of inevitable.

Jan 18, 2010 10:28 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Haha Meggidaan, unfortunately at this point I can understand what they're saying a lot of the time without a lyric sheet. "I don't give a flying fuck motherfucker. I don't give a flying fuck motherfucker. I don't give a flying, I don't give a flying, I don't give a flying FWUCK!"

Profound. At least the music's good. Well, was good. The last two albums of original material were pretty half-assed. If they had combined the few good songs from each they could have had one likable effort.

(This post was last edited on January 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM ET.)

Jan 19, 2010 5:41 PM ET #12 (permalink)

the main thing I don't like is when the music starts getting digitized. Sometimes you can even tell when the drums are fake....

Jan 19, 2010 7:26 PM ET #13 (permalink)

yea. digital is good for some genres. i dont mind (well, i dont listen to) bezerker or grid lock or whatever digital super duper fast as shit stuff thats being put out there. but yea. it can get annoying as hell when its waaayyy over done. plus, some genres are better when they sound like they recorded it in a cave (blut aus nord comes to mind, funeral mist's salvation cd also) because its all about the atmosphere for me and black metal is alllllll about he atmosphere. fake drums are fuckin gay though.

hey nat. you are completly on! i just listened to in the sign of the black widow and thats exactly what they were saying...thanks man! ha.

i havent minded any of their albums though. anaal...is great. i personally like the way that theyve "progressed" from codex necro to hell is full....to in the sign. i love them all. but thats whats great about metal is that there is so much shit out there that if you start not liking a band then you can stop buying their cds and start on another band from their inceptions

hail metal!

Jan 19, 2010 8:04 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Oh, I was talking about Bodom, not Anaal Nathrakh.

Jan 20, 2010 6:06 AM ET #15 (permalink)

These days u can see the so called metal outfits', who lay super kicks and buzzy riffs prentended to ecxeed beyond human captivity in the mixing and recording sections and when you are to witness them live (pathetic!) then things get crystal clear. How the modernization and the so called computerized dumb softwares overlapping the human limbs yet worse emotives. And an output you won't probably be interested to!!!!!!

PS: Fuck the so called BM mall kidz these days. They undoubtedly sucks! Anal Nathrakh Rulz!

Jan 20, 2010 8:02 PM ET #16 (permalink)

oh. sorry nat. youre definently right about bodom though. too much vodka i guess...their first three albums kicked my ass and then they went, i guess, sour or something.

your right too kvlt...theres nothing i hate more than seeing a really cool "cd" band live and then you learn that they are about 2 steps behind what they do on cd. it makes the concert pretty lame. ill still go back and listen to their cd but with a totally different perspective on them. what can ya do? fuck em.

i hate talking to people at concerts and they talk about black metal like they know what theyre talking about and then when you ask them who they listen to its always, always dimmu, cradle or amon amarth or something like that...how about some "real" and "true" black metal folks...jesus christ. it makes my blood boil....

Jan 21, 2010 9:07 PM ET #17 (permalink)

The art work is the 2nd most important thing the music being the first. The artwork from Pig destroyer, baroness ect

Jan 21, 2010 9:17 PM ET #18 (permalink)

youre right deathfreak! when the artwork fits the album i think it makes it more of an expierience. like the blue record from baroness. listening to the album while looking at the artwork and booklet is great. kylesa's album static tensions is another one that just fits the record and adds to it. is it the same artist for both of those albums? it looks like it and it totally fits the music theyre playing....

Feb 2, 2010 9:54 AM ET #19 (permalink)

It’s really nice to see a great package, I mean a good cover, but don’t forget about the essential who music it’s. The publicity as professional vocation means a lot in this postmodern period, but the essential is contained in the music, maybe for other genres it takes more importance on this, but I think it ‘doesn’t less importance than can be affected the contained in terms musically...After all, we listen music do whatever things..

Feb 15, 2010 4:28 PM ET #20 (permalink)

black metal seems to suffer alot from tech
i prefer black metal that has an organic pagan mystical feel.
I hear more and more of an industrial "swirl" of sound from some recent releases

Mar 17, 2010 1:45 PM ET #21 (permalink)

i rlly thought this discussion was gonna go off about ppl dwnlding music, which i, for one, am VRY guilty of. i haven't bought an album in yr.'s and i rlly don't have any reasonable excuse. but at least i buy alotta band shirts and go to as many concerts as i can possible.

Mar 22, 2010 8:57 AM ET #22 (permalink)

some "bands" can pull off the fake drums though, like one of my favorite locals, the one man band Insidious Decrepancy. Cover art of course will draw me to the check out some new bands-i'll usually choose the album with some nice camera angles on a hooker wrapped in plastic wrap and stuffed with one dollar bills over the album with some hand drawn (and badly proportioned) zombies gangbanging a chick.

Apr 5, 2010 4:38 PM ET #23 (permalink)

I agree Plibt. Technology has not only ruined album covers, but even the
music and merch to go with it. (Then again, you have to factor in all the
idiots who think it's "trendy" to listen to the band and wear the album
design on shirts and what not.) I for one LOVE thrash albums not only
for the music, but the album covers! The albums, the merch, it's all well
done without all the modern technology we have today.

Apr 5, 2010 5:13 PM ET #24 (permalink)

3 cheers for Razorback records!

Apr 21, 2010 3:40 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Belus' ruined my fascination to post-Burzum!

Reply to Discussion or Return to Extreme Metal forum