"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Why does this forum exist?!

Posted in: Forum Home >> Core >> Why does this forum exist?!

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 35 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 35 1 2 Last
Jan 16, 2010 10:25 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Not to be disrespectful DB but, why make a section to these horrible shit-tastic genres?! UGH!!

Jan 16, 2010 10:39 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Quite simply because:

1. Hardcore punk was the merging of punk and metal and
2. There are enough offshoot and related genres that it's actually a pretty broad topic on its own and
3. Given the popularity of many of those styles in the past decade, there are plenty of bands to discuss

I know a lot of people don't like it, but we cover it and it makes sense to provide a place to discuss it.

Jan 17, 2010 1:10 AM ET #3 (permalink)

I think in my opinion if he didn't some people might bitch about it .. like some people .. ergo you .. are bitching about it's existence .

(This post was last edited on January 17, 2010 at 1:10 AM ET.)

Jan 17, 2010 1:18 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Ahem! someone needs a life out here!

Jan 17, 2010 1:41 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Aww hell, alright DB. I just find it shameful how these type of bands have evolved into what they are today.

Jan 17, 2010 2:49 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Then just think of it as a place to discuss grindcore and hardcore punk.

Jan 17, 2010 10:28 AM ET #7 (permalink)

I liked some of the earlier bands that came out of the movement, but there's been a lot more that I don't like that's come out of it once metalcore and post hardcore achieved full-on trend status.

Jan 17, 2010 2:18 PM ET #8 (permalink)

we will let this one slide db, but next time we will go on strike!!!

Jan 17, 2010 3:49 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I don't think metalcore really deserves all the hate it gets. 80's and revival thrash was (and is) just as guilty of having hundreds of bands that have done nothing to advance their genre, but you don't really see hordes of insecure metalheads going around saying "fuck thrash". I was just as fed up as anybody with the bajillionth wave of metalcore bands whose popularity peaked around '07, but many great bands came out from the genre before then. Like it or not, they revolutionized heavy music as we knew it, and paved the way for many other styles of metal to get the attention they deserve.

Jan 17, 2010 6:08 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I agree with Natsquatch about the new wave of thrash bands. The only one I listen to is Seregon because they actually do something original with their take on thrash, but so many of the others flat out copy the thrash bands of the 80s. Thrash by numbers.

On the -core subject. I fucking love Hardcore. Everything from the early stuff like Bad Brains and Black Flag to the later wave like Sick Of It All and Biohazard and there's a few out there now that I really dig like Terror and even Hatebreed.

Jan 17, 2010 7:02 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I agree with you Nasquatch, back in the late 80s there were plenty of throwaway 4th tier thrash bands. To me however, even the top/seminal metalcore/deathcore bands ideas are redundant so that's why I personally don't enjoy it.

Revival thrash is a bit meh, but then again I get bands like Violator so can't complain.

Jan 18, 2010 12:34 PM ET #12 (permalink)

every genre has 1000 people who copy the formula of every other band from that genre: prog, power metal, death metal, black metal, you name it. in any case i'm glad this topic forum is here cause it'll filter out a lot of people who may not understand other genres and say we're fags for listening to it visa versa hehe.

Jan 18, 2010 9:34 PM ET #13 (permalink)

im glad this topic is here too, i dont mind some deathcore or metalcore bands, i got into metal through Lamb of God, and there were a few deathcore bands i used to listen to back in the day, ie. Job For a Cowboy and Bring Me The Horizon. i feel kind of ashamed for that part. though

Jan 18, 2010 11:55 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Because it's Metal.

Simple enough.

Jan 25, 2010 8:13 PM ET #15 (permalink)

^actually, by definition, core is not metal. It's actually a seperate genre from metal entirely, it just intersects a lot of the time, hence it being a relevant topic. :P

I like core stuff, but it has to be awesome. Pig Destroyer, the_network, After The Burial, Himsa, The Agonist. blah. anything less than fucking awesome gets the boot.

Jan 27, 2010 5:35 AM ET #16 (permalink)

I saw The_Network not to long ago. They are pretty live.

Feb 1, 2010 4:11 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Wiggles!!! Where the fuck have you been?

Feb 1, 2010 4:31 PM ET #18 (permalink)

Australia.

Feb 2, 2010 9:38 AM ET #19 (permalink)

Smucken Fart Ass.

Feb 5, 2010 3:56 AM ET #20 (permalink)

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 9, 2010 11:40 AM ET #21 (permalink)

Oh man are you kidding me? I think it's good to check out bands that are outside the metal circle. I have been turned on to some great extreme music in the past 3 years and going to places like the 1511, ES Jungle, The Dojo and Casa De La Kotex plus the Emerson to see some great bands like Fight Amp, Expire, Hellmouth, He Who Corrupts, Ice Nine (well i was a fan of them way back in day) and so forth. And get cds from bands like Coalsce, Reign Supreme, I think you get the picture it really opened a lof of good opportunities to have fun in indpls when i thought that no shows came through my town when i was just listening to just dm and bm all the time hell i mean dont get me i was always listening to punk and hardcore anyways but i just kind rediscovered it recently.

Feb 9, 2010 11:41 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Oh I even like some Deathcore now as well. TTEOTD and Suicide Silence are the shiit IDGAF.

Feb 14, 2010 9:17 PM ET #23 (permalink)

they only thing (maybe not the ONLY thing but close) when i think of "core" is windmilling, judo punching and kicking kids in the mosh pits. i dont frequent the mosh pits at all anymore but i sometimes watch it and it looks like a fucked up jet li movie or something. maybe a jackie chan film but not as funny, at all. i dont listen to much "core" but i really hate the concerts. actually, not totally hate, cuz that little machine that the drummer hits sometimes that makes a huge bass sound that shakes your insides is pretty damn cool and adds another dynamic. well, thats my rant. hails.

Feb 15, 2010 10:21 PM ET #24 (permalink)

yeah mosh pits sound messed up, ive never been in one and i dont really want to, something about the possibility of getting stabbed and possibly gang raped by a group of bisexual teenagers doesnt appeal to me much

and about the deathcore, i dont mind some of it, some Winds of Plague and Born of Osiris here and there is ok

Feb 18, 2010 1:45 AM ET #25 (permalink)

Damn, u don't know! Asshole u need to be sodomized man!

Reply to Discussion or Return to Core forum