"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MY TESTAMENT/OVERKILL/FLOTSAM AND JETSAM EXPERIENCE

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> MY TESTAMENT/OVERKILL/FLOTSAM AND JETSAM EXPERIENCE

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
Feb 13, 2013 9:47 AM ET #1 (permalink)

A 20-something year long quest finally came to an end Sunday night at the Fillmore here in Charlotte NC. I was finally able to see one of the TRUE top 4 THRASH METAL bands of all time and that is TESTAMENT. Testament proved they still possess the skills to throw down anytime and destroy everything in their way!! Prior to the show I was briefly able to chat with Testament's bassist Greg Christian and he said it was going to be a great show and he was absolutely correct...

FLOTSAM took the stage and ripped it to pieces. The energy the produced drove the crowd nuts. They worked the crowd like they were putty in their hands. The pits were spiining, weaving, heaving all through their set. The crowd was a very mixed crowd. All ages were in attendence from young kids to grey haired thrashers (and they were thrashing!!) FLOTSAM showed they are very powerful force to be reckoned with and will not back down from anyone when it comes to performance!! 10 of 10.......

FLOTSAM AND JETSAM SETLIST:
1. Ugly Noise
2. Iron Tears
3. Escape from Within
4. Hammerhead
5. No Place for Disgrace
6. Motherfuckery

THRASH legends OVERKILL took the stage a thunderous roar. It almost seemed as if the crowd was there to see them and not TESTAMENT! Bobby was singing like a crazed mad man and it was driving the women nuts. He is still able to hit those hiiiiiiiiiiigh notes and it was making the women become absolutely insane and it seemed as if the women were about to take over thrashing duties for the night. Even the security guards noticed how they kicked in the madness once Bobby took the stage. It was a very crazy scene all around. OVERKILL worked the stage with masterful precision. Bobby would run offstage and let the band have their moments all through the set. Then he woul,d run back out and each time the women would scream so freaking loud it would pierce our ears so bad it hurt! ITS JUST BOBBY DAMNIT!!! During OVERKILLS set I was row 2 stage right and had an excellent view of the show and can give them a perfect 10 of 10.........

OVERKILL SETLIST:
1. Come and Get It
2. Rotten to the Core
3. Wrecking Crew
4. Bring Me the Night
5. Electric Rattlesnake
6. Infectious
7. Ironbound
8. Elimination
9. Fuck You (Subhumans cover)

The lights went out and the Fillmore began shaking from the rabid response from the crowd. The moment I had been waiting for over 20 years had finally come to be. TESTAMENT stood before us! From the opening of Rise Up to the close of Formation of Damnation TESTAMENT showed that they will never take any prisoners and leave everything in its wake in rubble. Chuck Billy commanded that stage like a true metal legend does. They played with such precision and showed they have not lost one ounce of resolve in giving every single person in attendance the night of their life. The pits became so violent that I can honestly say they were the most brutal pits I have been in since I moved to Charlotte NC. It was absolute chaos from start to finish and TESTAMENT kept the anarchy at maximum overdrive!! Gene Hoglan was slamming the skins in the back and Greg Christian on bass kept up with Gene keeping the low end rolling all night. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson shredded the strings like true guitar masters do. They traded off all night and you could tell they were having a blast up there. And the CHIEF himself Chuck Billy belting out the songs without holding anything back. He gave everything he had and let the crowd know he was happy with them! For the song "Into The Pit" 2 people fom the VIP Meet and Greet were brought out help sing the chorus. Chuck said that he was finally happy that there was a woman out there because its been sweaty dudes everytime before. When the song ended she ran to Chuck and grabbed him and would not let him go. It was funny. She finally let go and then ran back and hugged him again. Her night was perfect then!!! My night was perfect too. I was able to hang with some old friends and met some new friends. I bought a $5 patch you can iron on clothing to help out with band expenses. Couldnt afford anything more on my budget. TESTAMENT ruled the night and, IMO, belong in the top 4 of THRASH METAL (a certain band can be taken out of the category now since they gave up on THRASH)!!! Having to have waited for over 20 years was a long time and I definitely will give TESTAMENT a PERFECT 10 OF 10!!!

TESTAMENT SETLIST:
1. Rise Up
2. More Than Meets the Eye
3. Burnt Offerings
4. Native Blood
5. True American Hate
6. Dark Roots of Earth
7. Into the Pit
8. Practice What You Preach
9. Riding the Snake
10. Eyes of Wrath
11. Trial By Fire
12. The Haunting
13. The New Order
14. D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
15. 3 Days in Darkness
16. The Formation of Damnation

(This post was last edited on February 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM ET.)

Feb 13, 2013 10:02 AM ET #2 (permalink)

R10

Looks like I'm in for a hell of a show Saturday night. Have been listening to all three bands for 25 years plus, so seeing them all in one night will be sweet! Flotsam I haven't seen since early '87 opening for Megadeth when Newsted was still in the band. I can only imagine the pits were pretty fvcking brutal.

Feb 13, 2013 10:15 AM ET #3 (permalink)

My left shoulder is hurting from getting plowed over by some 6-5 gorilla as I was crossing through the pit at an angle and not going with the circle flow. My left ribcage is sore from a few elbows. My legs feel like jello from all the thrashing about. My neck is shattered from the headbanging and it was worth every aching painful moment im having now!!!

(This post was last edited on February 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM ET.)

Feb 13, 2013 11:52 AM ET #4 (permalink)

truly truly truly jealous.......ugh, and they played 3 of my favourite songs
my bf is seeing them next week and he keeps rubbing it in cause im 2000km away and cant hurt him

Feb 13, 2013 11:54 AM ET #5 (permalink)

WHAT A DICK!!!!! hahahahaha. Im sure you will get payback one day!!!!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum