"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 576 - 600 of 615 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 576 - 600 of 615 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 Last
Aug 5, 2012 10:16 PM ET #576 (permalink)

Just finished Hostel 2 a while ago... It was ok. Pretty predictable except for the very last scene, which was so over the top and off the wall... I busted out laughing. (won't spoil it for anyone here). They definitely toned the overall grusomeness down a lot in this one though.

Aug 6, 2012 2:51 PM ET #577 (permalink)

Yeah, didn't care for 2 myself.

@Oz: Heh...

Aug 7, 2012 6:54 AM ET #578 (permalink)

I just got Netflix so I'll be giving Dexter a try now that I can see it from the beginning. Same with Sons Of Anarchy. Watched Breaking Bad for the first time last night, good stuff.

Aug 7, 2012 11:29 AM ET #579 (permalink)

Oh yeah, all of those are excellent cable series collections. Just curious... Can you stream Dexter there? We can't here. We have to order them on disk.

Aug 7, 2012 11:41 AM ET #580 (permalink)

I assume so. I put Netflix on the PS3 and I've had no problems so far. If I have to disc it I won't bother. I was a bit annoyed to find there was no Rome on Netflix. Saw about seven episodes of that at a friends and wanted to finish it. Same goes for Luther. I might give Californication a go though.

Aug 7, 2012 11:51 PM ET #581 (permalink)

Dexter had seasons 1+2 streaming for the longest time, but I watched the rest on DVD. I found the initial episodes sort of repetitive and wasn't sold on it until the 6th one or so. And then season 2 is about 10x better than season 1.

I've watched a couple Breaking Bad so far and am not yet hooked on it. I'll watch an episode or two more still when I have some free time again. I've had Californication in my queue forever and never got around to it.

I just saw Batman tonight finally and it was good. I don't think it's as good as all the hype and I was a little disappointed they did the setup for all these characters when they're at the end of the series basically. It feels like it's for nothing. And I thought it was funny that I knew nothing about the story, but pegged the new guy as Robin from the previews even. He just looks like a Robin...

Aug 8, 2012 6:05 PM ET #582 (permalink)

Just finished watching Blitz, a British crime film that came out last year starring Jason Statham, Paddy Considine and Aiden Gillen. Not amazing, but not bad at all. Worth a watch at least. Also watched a documentary earlier called South of the Border which is about Hugo Chavez and his allies. Very interesting. Having a browse through Netflix now to see what else I can watch before bed. Coffee and Cigarettes is the front runner so far.

Aug 8, 2012 11:19 PM ET #583 (permalink)

finished Cowboys and Aliens this evening with dinner. very meh.

I also watched hockey comedy Goon with Sean William Scott(?) the other day. Between the cringe-worthy moments (terrible writing overall) it was pretty good. The main hockey plot line was good anyway and I loved the fights. I definitely liked it more than Cowboys and Aliens - at least it made me laugh.

Aug 9, 2012 8:17 AM ET #584 (permalink)

I went and saw Coyboys and Aliens last year and thought the same thing. My mum actually tried watching it the other day but gave up after half an hour.

I didn't watch Coffee and Cigarettes last night, but instead checked out The Devil's Double, which is a film about a guy forced to be the body double for Saddam Hussein's oldest son, Uday. Very interesting film, remined me of The Last King of Scotland in a way, but not as captivating. Good film though, well worth your time. Currently finishing off a documentary called Trekkies. Guess what that's about...

Aug 23, 2012 10:25 AM ET #585 (permalink)

How is Trekkies? I thought to watch it once, but I'm not really a Star Trek fan.

Finally saw American Reunion and it was interesting. Funny in a lot of ways like the earlier movies, but more cringe-worthy moments and cheesiness that I didn't care for as much. I thought how they worked a lot of the old characters back in was well done, but some were just lazy or too cheesy (e.g. the MILF guys and the Nadia "cameo"). As much as Stiffler is a dick, I love him in this one and Sean William Scott in general. He'll always be Stiffler to me and is best in those sort of asshole roles (like in Goons too).

(This post was last edited on August 23, 2012 at 10:25 AM ET.)

Aug 23, 2012 12:54 PM ET #586 (permalink)

Trekkies is alright, it's strange because it was made in 1997, so it's funny hearing them say about all FOUR versions of Star Trek and seeing fans getting super excited about First Contact. It's also just weird seeing people who EXACTLY like how Star Trek fans are portrayed in comedies like Fanboys. Worth a watch, but don't expect anything great.

I liked American Reunion, but I know what you mean about some of it feeling forced. It's hard not to make a film where the basic premise is, "Hey, remember us? Those characters you loved back in school/college etc." and not force references in though I suppose.

I went and saw Expendables 2 the other night and loved it. Lundgren was the surprise stand out, Arnie was hilarious, Van Damne was cool as shit and Chuck Norris was there purely for Chuck Norris jokes. Like the first one, don't expect much in terms of story, and you might be disappointed that your favourite action star doesn't get much screen time. One thing that I wish had been written into the script, a fight scene between Van Damne and Jet Li.

Aug 23, 2012 5:17 PM ET #587 (permalink)

Alright, I've just seen Batman so it's safe for me to re-enter this thread. It was good, I liked the ending because it tied up the loose threads and felt like a triumphant end to a grim tale. Everyone keeps saying they had Gordon-Levitt pinned as Robin which is funny because it didn't actually cross my mind. The reason I think is because unlike most others, I hadn't seen any trailers or info and so didn't even know he was in it. When he first appeared I thought it might be a cameo, so it wasn't until his role grew and I thought "Oh, so he's actually playing a significant role" that I even had a shot at thinking he'd be Robin. Otherwise, yeah I thought the same things about the film as everyone else.

Anyone else excited for Dredd 3D? Initially I thought it'd be bad, but the trailers have me hyped and the previews have all been really positive. Can't wait for it now.

Aug 23, 2012 7:10 PM ET #588 (permalink)

Not really. There's been way too many comic book films lately and I'm sick of the sight of them. I heard it was a good film, but I saw the trailer and thought it looked shite if I'm honest. So, not excited, but I may yet end up going to see it.

Watched Darkman a few hours ago. Liam Neeson plays a scientist burned horribly by gangsters and goes out for revenge. It wasn't good, but not the worst film I've ever seen.

Currently watching Red Scorpion, in which Dolph Lundgren plays a Spetsnaz agent sent to an unnamed African country to help put down an anti-Communist resistance, but switches sides after he meets one of the rebels and an extremely annoying American journalist, who basically just swears and calls Lundgren a commie pig constantly. It's garbage, but quite fun, which is all I expected really.

I'm looking forward to The Sweeney though. Could be enjoyable. That, and Taken 2.

Aug 26, 2012 12:15 AM ET #589 (permalink)

Damn, Oz is breaking out the oldies... I don't think I've seen Darkman for 20 years or close to it. I had no idea it was Liam Neeson in it. I saw Darkman 2 a few years ago on Netflix and remember nothing about it. Man, Red Scorpion...I remember that one, but only that it was horrible.

But you got the wrap up of Expendables 2 dead-on. I liked it more than the first. And yeah, I would have loved to see Jet Li fight Van Damme. I thought this was funny - from the second they showed the guy tied up in the chair with the hood over his head, I said "that's Arnold." I could just tell. [/proud fanboy moment]. I was glad to see he got some more screen time in this one and his last line was perhaps the best of the movie.

Taken 2 looks pretty decent and I'm really looking forward to Last Stand in January. After The Hobbit of course.

(This post was last edited on August 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM ET.)

Aug 26, 2012 6:45 AM ET #590 (permalink)

I didn't think it was Arnie because I knew one of the Expendables died, so I assumed it was Mickey Rourke's character and that he'd be killed with a bag on his head as a way of explaining his absence. I liked that they referenced Dolph Lundgren's chemistry degree as well. Plenty of great humour in there.

I'll definitely be going to see The Last Stand next year, as well as Bullet To The Head and The Tomb. Plenty of action to look forward to. Not excited about The Hobbit though I have to say. Turning it into three films reeks of cash grabbing to me and anyone who thinks it's a good idea is a fucking idiot.

Aug 26, 2012 4:26 PM ET #591 (permalink)

I suppose Dredd being another comic adaption doesn't bother me because he's not a traditional superhero. Don't worry though - I totally know what you mean about it not looking great... there was just something about how all the lines were delivered the second time I watched the trailer.... "Judgement time". The whole "climb the building" aspect is probably just an excuse to keep the film low budget but if it works it could be ok.

Aug 26, 2012 8:57 PM ET #592 (permalink)

I know what you mean about him not being a traditional superhero, but I'd still be thinking of it as a comic book adaptation. Same as The Punisher is very different from Spiderman etc. but if I'm not in a comic mood, I won't watch it.

Speaking of not watching, after several people told me to give the show, Firefly a watch I did. Never again. Dreadful.

Aug 27, 2012 5:22 PM ET #593 (permalink)

Oh no, not a fan of Firefly? I thought it was ok. I'm not a big fan of the sci-fi western stuff really. But it grew on me. And I really enjoyed Serenity, the movie that followed up the canceled show. You seen that one?

I'm worried about The Hobbit too, but still looking forward to it and planning to see it.

I watched an oldie the other day - Donnie Darko. It was mildly disturbing and weird. But not great. Also got started on disc one of Game of Thrones, which looks very promising. I liked it a lot. Already hoping some people get what they deserve though.

Aug 27, 2012 7:42 PM ET #594 (permalink)

Serenity was actually on tv tonight, but I passed in favour of Idris Elba's How Clubbing Changed The World, which I really enjoyed.

Didn't like Firefly at all. Joss Whedon can come up with cool environments and whatever, but he can't create characters or write dialogue for shit. For example in the episode of Firefly I saw, two characters are discussing someone else, before one of them says, "You can tell him yourself." Enter that character. Three minutes later the EXACT same conversation took place with different characters. Nothing about it interested me in the slightest, total waste of time. Most of the people that recommended Firefly also recommended Dexter, so I'm more hazy about giving it a go now.

I'll probably watch The Hobbit, but I'm not in a rush. I'll do what I did with Lord of the Rings and wait for them all to come out on DVD, then watch it all in one go.

I only saw Donnie Darko for the first time a few months ago. I enjoyed it, it was good, but as you said, not great. Imagery was sweet and the soundtrack was immense, but a little pretentious. You can see why it's a hipster favourite.

I love Game of Thrones, but I try my best not to hype it too much because it does have it's flaws.

Watched a British film today as well called Shifty. Quite short (about an hour and 20 minutes) but it's pretty good. It's got Riz MC (Four Lions) and Jason Flemyng (Lock, Stock) in it.

Aug 28, 2012 3:14 AM ET #595 (permalink)

Loved Donnie Darko. I'm a fan of avant-guarde film though so no surprise.

Aug 29, 2012 5:30 AM ET #596 (permalink)

Went and saw The Watch last night. It was surprisingly funny. Richard Ayoade is always good and Jonah Hill has impressed me lately.

Aug 29, 2012 8:11 AM ET #597 (permalink)

After Donnie Darko I just sat on the couch post-mortem for an hour trying to figure out what the fuck I just watched.

Aug 29, 2012 11:22 AM ET #598 (permalink)

I just saw The Dark Knight Rises last night and was thoroughly impressed. Going into the theater I knew there was no way it was not going to top The Dark Knight, and of course it did not, but what a great way to end the Nolan trilogy. Also saw the Avengers flick a couple months ago and thought that was an excellent flick. Pretty much the only movies that catch me attention these days are comic bok adaption, although I admit to being a comic book nerd and have a pretty large collection of comics from 1980-1994, but most of the collection consists of books from 1990-1994.

I agree with Oz, the new Hobbit just does not look worthwhile. When I initially heard that they were making the movie I was stoked, but everything that I have seen since then looks extremely gay and disappointing. If it is a trilogy my hopes for the film(s) just sunk even lower.

And Donnie Darko is the shit, I was in a period of heavy drug use when that movie came out and remember how much stranger that movie is when you have not slept for five days. Love that song at the end of the movie, too. News to me that it is now a "hipster" movie, as it bombed rather hard at the box office when it came out and was a very underground movie for a long time. But then again, I have no contact with hipsters at all so I will take Oz's word on that one.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion" ROFL

(This post was last edited on August 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM ET.)

Sep 2, 2012 9:43 AM ET #599 (permalink)

I went on an MMA movie run lately. Finally watched The Warrior, which was better than I expected. I thought it was very good all the way through except the final fight continuing despite the arm injury. That was very unrealistic and cheesy. I also saw The Hammer (story of Matt Hamill, deaf wrestler turned UFC fighter) and it was much better than expected for an indie film. I wasn't so sure while watching, but by the end I thought it was quite good. Next up is Jen's Pulver's Driven (I think it's called).

Sep 2, 2012 7:28 PM ET #600 (permalink)

I just watched a French film called, A Prophet. It's quite long at two and a half hours but well worth your time if you don't mind subtitles.

I went to see Warrior when it came out and I had quite a few gripes with it, not least the casting (though Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton were very good) and the fact that when Kurt Angle entered the arena, there were Soviet flags hanging. Apparantly the makers know their history about as well as Ian McKellen knows vagina. It was basically a 21st century, Rocky though. It was alright for what it was, but I felt both the film and Nick Nolte got more praise than deserved.

Currently recording a film called Submarine which I've been wanting to see for a while. I'd watch it now but I have to be up early.

Update: Submarine was really good. Quirky is the best word I can think of for it.

(This post was last edited on September 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum