"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 476 - 500 of 615 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 476 - 500 of 615 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 25 Last
Jan 1, 2012 12:14 PM ET #476 (permalink)

DB, apparently the remake of Total Recall will star Colin Farrell in the role of Arnold and will be directed by Len Wiseman, who directed Die Hard 4.0 and the Underworld movies.

I'm not excited about Farrell at all. He was great in some movies years ago, but I think it's all been downhill for him since SWAT, Miami Vice etc. And let's be frank, he was terrible in both of those films.

I would have picked someone like Sam Worthington - who I think is an amazing actor - over Farrell any day, but I guess Worthington isn't big enough of a star to get the role, which is a shame.

Oh well, I know I'll be checking the movie out anyway, so what am I bitchin about? ;)

Jan 3, 2012 5:10 PM ET #477 (permalink)

I hope Arnie cameos as the third tit.

What's this Conan was bad rubbish?? Khal Drogo swung a sword around for two hours, who's mad?!! ...ok, so other than Momoa it was godawful, but I would watch tellytubbies if it had that guy in it haha :)

3D Tintin was the first time I've been impressed by 3D since Avatar.

Jan 5, 2012 4:32 PM ET #478 (permalink)

Might go and see The Artist as it comes out over here tomorrow. Been waiting ages for it. Seems like the kind of film that works best at the cinema too.

Jan 10, 2012 7:13 AM ET #479 (permalink)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Recall_%282012_film%29

To be fair, the new Total Recall has a pretty good supporting cast.

Jan 13, 2012 1:07 PM ET #480 (permalink)

I went and saw The Artist today. Best cinema experience ever. The film was incredible and it was exactly how I imagined watching a film in the 1920s was like.

Jan 14, 2012 9:37 AM ET #481 (permalink)

You're far too cultured, Oz. I'd prefer Arnold as the 3rd tit any day.

I'm really looking forward to this year in movies. And my son is getting to the age where he can see some PG-13 movies with me (Avengers, The Hobbit, etc.). Red Tails is looking more interesting that I expected (from what I'd heard) as well.

(This post was last edited on January 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM ET.)

Jan 14, 2012 1:41 PM ET #482 (permalink)

Cultured? I wear turtle necks and smoke cigars, plus I'm British. How could one be more cultured?

Speaking of The Avengers, myself and a friend were discussing earlier how the film would be improved by recasting every superhero, with Eddie Murphy playing each role. The highlight of this epic would include a dinner scene featuring Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye having a farting contest.

Jan 16, 2012 10:18 PM ET #483 (permalink)

Ha. I just came back and remembered that left me speechless the first time. No rebuttal to that one.

Think I'm gonna have to get out and see something like Haywire or Red Tails this weekend.

Jan 16, 2012 11:20 PM ET #484 (permalink)

Eh, I read some reviews (by those I trust) and I think I'll skip The Artist. I've seen enough of the original silent/bw films it's trying to emulate anyway. I am however really excited about the new HPLS adaption of Lovecraft's "The Whisper In The Darkness". They did an phenomenal job of the "The Call of Cthulhu" silent film and this one looks just as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkos7WTHjg

Also, the trailer for Prometheus looked great. What can I say, it's basically another Aliens movie and that's good enough for me.

Jan 17, 2012 11:58 AM ET #485 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Prometheus. Tons of movies I want to see this summer.

Feb 6, 2012 11:23 AM ET #486 (permalink)

Anyone actually see Haywire? I've been too insanely busy and when I saw it was only 92 minutes, I decided I'd pass and wait til DVD/Netflix anyway.

Mar 6, 2012 8:30 PM ET #487 (permalink)

Went and saw This Means War tonight. It's not great by any means, but it was a good laugh and entertaining enough.

Mar 28, 2012 7:58 AM ET #488 (permalink)

Went and saw THe Hunger Games last night. It was enjoyable in places but dreadful in others. It's Battle Royale for 12 year olds basically. Hoping to see Wild Bill next week.

Mar 28, 2012 10:06 AM ET #489 (permalink)

just watched the grey last night and a old one house of thousand corpes stays good that movie

May 7, 2012 9:45 AM ET #490 (permalink)

Avengers was the bomb. Discuss.

I took my 9 year old son and he enjoyed it as well. Don't forget to stay through ALL of the credits. We were laughing at the ending.

May 7, 2012 12:51 PM ET #491 (permalink)

Missed the ending after the credits. As I said on n0thingheads facebook last night. Good film, but overrated as fuck and I prefered Thor and both Iron Man films (both times I've tried watching The Incredible Hulk I've had to leave, the second time was in a pub with no sound on and I only managed to get through fifteen minutes of Captain America.) Scarlett Johansson was impressive in the Avengers and Robert Downey JR is fucking great as Tony Stark. Way too long though. If you're going to make a film that's more or less all about action and one liners, don't try and make a two and a half hour long epic out of it. Very bored by the end.

May 7, 2012 5:15 PM ET #492 (permalink)

I saw the Thanos bit in the credits but didn't stay after that.

My verdict:

Yeah great film. Not perfect, no Bladerunner or anything but enjoyable. I have no problem with long films, felt like it was a good length actually, any shorter and the character arcs would have suffered a lot.

Probably the best 3D effects I've seen in a film so far, really enjoyed the visual aspect and man some of the sets were really well done - a lot of cool tech and small details and effects. Script was great, acting was perfect - we wanted superheros interacting and fighting and that's what we got. It was like Transformers except without all the things that made Transformers rubbish. I also liked how they dealt with Hawkeye/Black Widow - if you make them seem to powerful then that makes the superhero thing less special, too weak and they become annoying damsels in distress clogging up the action. They found the right balance where they were helpful but not trying to tackle Loki or anything.

Two gripes though - One was that the whole second act was pretty much exactly the same as the last Transformers film (I was forced into watching it!) I mean, (SPOILERS) big portal is opened up over city and bad guys including big flying snake things smash up city while good guys try and close portal. My main issue was the Chitauri army though, they could have done something cool, but instead chose a bunch of dull grey non-descript humanoid bad guy alien things (not counting the huge flying tanks). Loki wasn't really a physical threat since Thor could kick his ass and the "army" didn't even look like it could take over France let alone the world. Otherwise very fun film.

Also, the preview for "The Grey" looked so good I almost went to see it straight after "The Avengers" had finished!

May 8, 2012 6:34 AM ET #493 (permalink)

The Grey came out over here a few months ago, I was away when my usual cinema going friends decided to see it though but apparantly it's surprisingly good.

I never expected The Avengers to be another Blade Runner, Godfather or anything like that. I was basically expecting another Star Trek, namely an action film with a few funny moments and a big showdown. I like long films when the subject matter is fairly serious, hence why I've no problem with The Dark Knight being the length it is. The Avengers was very much a popcorn film though, it just happened to have some good actors, which makes me feel that the length was unwarranted. You knew from the start that The Avengers were going to defeat Loki and save the day, so why prolong it? Also you knew before you even watched the film how the characters would interact with each other (Stark charmingly winding the others up with his demeanour, Captain America taking the moral high ground and leading the team despite doing next to fuck all etc.) so again, why two and a half hours of it? I realise I'm probably coming off as a total dick and as I said, I did quite like the film, but all I've been hearing of late is how amazing it is and I just can't see it. Even while watching the film I had to ask myself, "Why aren't you enjoying this that much?

One film I will bring up that I fucking hated with a passion is Battleship. Another case of a pointless action film being way too long except it didn't have the solid script and good acting that The Avengers had and it was boring as shit. However, half way through it stopped being boring and offended me beyond belief when they cut to a News Cast talking about how the alien invasion was causing global panic, then proceded to use footage from the English riots of last year. I know people who lost their livelihoods in those riots. People were killed, business that had been going for over a hundred years destroyed and people were fearing for their lives, but the absolute cunts that made that fucking terrible film decided, "Fuck it, didn't affect anyone we know" and used footage of it just to give their two and a half hour toy advert some weight. I seriously considered walking out and demanding my money back but I didn't fancy waiting in the foyer for ages since it was late and the cinema is an hours walk from my house.

Hopefully seeing American Reunion tonight. I liked the others and all I'm expecting is a few laughs, like I got with the trilogy. Unfortunately I'll be away when The Dictator comes out, but it looks fucking hilarious. Something else I'm looking forward to is Ill Manors, if nothing else because I enjoy everything Plan B does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfxWjUcbzs

Speaking of which, The Sweeney might be entertaining too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtoM5O0eXvE

(This post was last edited on May 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM ET.)

May 8, 2012 11:52 AM ET #494 (permalink)

I didn't think Avengers was too long. I liked the character development and overall build up and the good guy on good guy fights. The parts that most bored me were the politics around Fury and Shield. The army could have been a little more overwhelming, I agree. (I like Cynic's assessment.) Overall, it was more enjoyable for me than any of the super hero movies, as it should be - a good combination of them all and a little better than any of them.

Cynic, you must be getting The Grey late. I'm pretty sure it's been out here as well. It looked good, but not summer blockbuster material.

I don't know about American Reunion... I want to like it, but don't know that I put enough faith in it being good to go see it in the movies. I might have to wait for the DVD rental. I loved the first two though.

May 8, 2012 1:11 PM ET #495 (permalink)

would like to see the three stooges

May 8, 2012 2:45 PM ET #496 (permalink)

Not going to see American Reunion tonight after all, mate's car won't start. I love the old Three Stooges shorts but I'm not sure about the new film.

As I said, I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't have that much fun watching The Avengers, but I could feel every single minute of it. I thought that Hulk (who was the best of the bunch in the film, acting wise,) was developed really well and Thor was advanced but Iron Man was exactly the same as he was in his own films and Captain America was just there because he's part of The Avengers. All he did was pop up now and then to say, "We have to make sure we're doing the moral thing." and then spend the action scenes struggling to pull levers and such. Thank fuck he seemed to take a back seat to everyone else. I know he was supposed to be the leader but Iron Man did so much more that I couldn't buy into the idea of Cap spearheading the group. As I've said, it wasn't a bad film, but the more I hear people rave about the more I go, "Well here's a load of problems I had with it..."

On an unrelated note, Men In Black 3 looks bollocks but I know I'll go and see it and I can't wait for Prometheus. I'll chop my balls off before going to see Dark Shadows however.

May 8, 2012 7:17 PM ET #497 (permalink)

Haha, I agree that MIB3 looks bollocks. I might re-watch the first one with my son and decide if I should take him to see the new one.

Oh, btw, there's a 3 hour Director's cut of Avengers coming on DVD/blu-ray :-) http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/would-you-sit-through-threehour-cut-of-avengers-714661.html?wss=mktfacebook&snid=fanpage

May 8, 2012 7:31 PM ET #498 (permalink)

It's funny hearing people's opinions on different superhero movies, although there's always a general consensus on the good and the bad everyone I talk to always has or two that just didn't click with them. Personally I wasn't a huge fan of either The Dark Knight or X-Men First Class for example. Don't even get me started on Spiderman.

May 9, 2012 6:02 AM ET #499 (permalink)

Didn't like Batman Begins the first time I saw it but it's grown on me since. Similarly I enjoyed The Dark Knight the first time I saw it, but enjoyed it alot more when I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I fucking despised X Men: First Class with a passion (partly as that was the week my cinema introduced planned seating so I got shoved away from my friends and had to sit next to some cunt who kept laughing at all the unbearibly corny lines.) As cheesy as Avengers was, First Class is in it's own league. "Call me.... Magneto! (dun dun dun!)"

"They'll be my students." "No, they'll be your... X-Men!"

And don't even get me started on the bit where they literally just come up with their names while getting drunk. If it wasn't for the fact that I saw Sucker Punch last year, I'd say it was the biggest waste of money of 2011.

I liked the first Spiderman when it came out, but that was probably because I was 12. Always hated the other two, especially the second. I'll probably go see the new one even if it's generating little to no excitement.

I kind of feel that superhero films need to take a break now though. Ever since X-Men came out in 2000, or possibly since Spiderman in 2002, there seems to have been a never ending slew of comic book adaptations. Some good (X-Men,) some bad (Daredevil) and some pointless (Elektra, Catwoman) and it's getting a little old for me now. I'm glad that The Dark Knight Rises will be the last of the Batman films (until it gets rebooted at least) and I think that The Avengers should have been the lid on that side of Marvel for a while, instead Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are going to be made soon.

May 9, 2012 4:20 PM ET #500 (permalink)

There's a lot of hate for the Spiderman movies (which set records even) - I'm surprised. I liked them overall and kinda hope the new one bombs because I don't care for the actor or the general style from what I've seen and am SICK OF REBOOTING. I hated every single actor/character in X-men First Class I think. Thought the movie was OK at best despite that and the story inconsistencies.

There have been a lot of super hero movies each summer (and year) for a while now. I think the Marvel ones have lead the way and been the big draws, and I'm looking forward to more Iron Man and Avengers for sure. To me, it's all the second tier comics being turned into movies that make it feel more crowded. Even though I pass on crap like Punisher, Watchmen, Hellboy (I saw #1 and it was ok), Fantastic Four (even on DVD, ugh), etc. it's still out there, being promoted just as hard. Then the bigger names like Superman, I'm just not interested in either. I could do without a Thor 2 for that matter... I am not even a big Batman fan, but this series has got me into it - I like the dark style and Christian Bale (I know, Oz :-P ) and am looking forward to the new one.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum