"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 426 - 450 of 615 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 426 - 450 of 615 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 24 25 Last
Nov 3, 2011 12:16 PM ET #426 (permalink)

Oz, I've seen Scherlock Holmes as well and had exactly the same reaction. Overall, the film just didn't impress me on any level.
And when you have someone like Robert Downey Jr - mr Iron Man - as Holmes... I mean...?? Is it a comedy, a parody, a Wild Wild West type of thing?

I think it's a shame they didn't make a truly creepy Sherlock Holmes movie with Daniel-Day Lewis, who'd been the perfect Sherlock Holmes, imo.

Nov 3, 2011 12:38 PM ET #427 (permalink)

Oh wow a Sherlock Holmes film with Daniel Day-Lewis would be fantastic! I like Robert Downey Jr but as you said, as soon as you see he's playing Sherlock, you didn't know how to take it. I think he was pretty much just there for mainstream advertising, like Russel Crowe in Robin Hood. Never been impressed by Jude Law so once again he succeeded in getting me to give less than a shit about his character. The other thing I couldn't work out was why so much of the background music was Irish folk stuff. Scenery looked good though.

Nov 3, 2011 12:55 PM ET #428 (permalink)

I lked the Sherlock Holmes movie, just because of a) the slow motion explanation of an ass-kicking and b) the whole free mason thing.

Wolf- Be careful with any Michael Moore movie, he is unknown for his one-sided biased information and staging events solely to support his "documentaries." Watch "Michael Moore Hates America". it is a tongue-in-cheek documentary where a film maker re-visits the location and people that Michael Moore interviewed for his Columbine movie. If you want to see a real documentary that will blow your mind, check out "The Fall of the Republic"

Oz- It's Hollywood. Some producer probably said, "Make sure the music is authentic music from the UK" and left it at that. To put it in perspective, it is kind of like you watching a move that takes place in Alabama and noticing the music is from the Ozarks.

(This post was last edited on November 3, 2011 at 12:57 PM ET.)

Nov 3, 2011 1:06 PM ET #429 (permalink)

Don't know what the Ozarks are I'm afraid Bruno, so I wouldn't know the difference. If a film wanted to tell me they were in Alabama, all they'd have to do is play Lynyrd Skynyrd lol.

Never trusted Michael Moore, always seems like an attention seeker with a half-hearted belief in what he's saying, as he's still very happy to make money. See also: Rage Against The Machine.

Nov 3, 2011 1:25 PM ET #430 (permalink)

The Ozarks is a region of middle America that is the same distance from Alabama as Ireland is from England. Hence, the music from said area is a minor regional difference that would only be evident for someone with a knowledge of that particular part of the world.

Ironically, Lynnard Skynard is from Florida, not Alabama.

You hit the nail on the head with Michael Moore and Rage Against the machine. I picture Tom Morello and Michael Moore sipping $8 lattes in a mult-million dollar mansion talking about how much better Cuba is than America. I could maybe take one of them seriously if they woke up tomorrow and donated 99% of their money to a charity and lived off 25 grand a year (which is the annual salary of a minimum wage American) but strangely for all their hate of the rich they cannot seem to give up their cushy posh lifestyle.

I call people like Morello and Moore "Limo Liberals"

(This post was last edited on November 3, 2011 at 1:28 PM ET.)

Nov 3, 2011 2:02 PM ET #431 (permalink)

Good term, I just call them pricks :P

Nov 3, 2011 3:01 PM ET #432 (permalink)

Bruno, I definitely agree on Michael Moore. He bends the truth his way. When he interviews people, you can tell where he's going with it all and what reactions/responses he wants out of people. He claims he gives people the opportunity to have their say, but in fact he's leading them quite harshly.
I did like the 1989 Moore film "Roger and Me" though.

The movie "Inside Job" was definitely more to my liking, as it was very much based on facts and figures. The director Charles Ferguson really put few of the fat cats in a tough spot in his interviews.

Nov 3, 2011 3:27 PM ET #433 (permalink)

Oz- That always works too :)

Wolf- The thing about Michael Moore is that when he stops promoting communism he actually can make a decent movie. I just recently found out he directed one of my favorite films, "Canadian Bacon" with John candy.

Speaking of that fat hypocrite Moore, did anyone see last Monday he was on MSNBC ripping the rich and spouting class warfare. When the host (I think it was Mr Maddow) pointed out, "Aren't you one of the rich?" he adamantly denied being part of the dreaded 1%. By Wednesday he issued an official retraction stating that he had just found out that he was rich. I really wonder of these people believe the crap that comes from their mouth.

Nov 3, 2011 3:29 PM ET #434 (permalink)

My bad, it was Piers Morgan on CNN. Story and transcript below:

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-spokane/wealthy-filmmaker-michael-moore-denies-being-part-of-the-1-percent

Nov 3, 2011 3:53 PM ET #435 (permalink)

"he issued an official retraction stating that he had just found out that he was rich."

I hope I have to issue a statement like that one day.

Nov 3, 2011 4:10 PM ET #436 (permalink)

LOL Me too Oz, but I ain't counting on it, hahahaha

Nov 5, 2011 8:09 PM ET #437 (permalink)

I just got the 1950s The Thing From Another World from Netflix and watched it and it was pretty decent. I liked the characters and some of the dry humor. But the concept of the monster wasn't that interesting (not even talking about the special effects). Makes me appreciate Carpenter's version more.

Next up... Splice.

Nov 6, 2011 8:01 PM ET #438 (permalink)

I just watched a pretty good film called London Boulevard. Bit of a gangster flick starring Colin Farrell, with Kiera Knightley and Ray Winstone, written by the same person who wrote The Departed. Worth a watch.

Nov 6, 2011 11:36 PM ET #439 (permalink)

DB: Splice was just alright to me. Girls got some pretty sweet tits though.

Nov 7, 2011 4:07 AM ET #440 (permalink)

^ Best movie review ever.

Nov 7, 2011 4:21 AM ET #441 (permalink)

Splice was a fucking waste of my life. I was so mad after watching that piece, then I saw it was Canadian produced or something and I raged.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was amazing.

Nov 7, 2011 2:06 PM ET #442 (permalink)

Not long got home from seeing The Ides Of March. Pretty good, not the tense thriller I was expecting but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Nov 9, 2011 7:42 PM ET #443 (permalink)

paranormal activity 3: good scare, weakest of the 3, even worst story. terrible continuity based on the first 2's stories.

the thing (2011): great! if only the original didn't exist >;.>; it was beat-for-beat almost an exact copy, but meant to just get good scares out of u. a lot was explained, like the science/nature behind the "thing", but too much else was NOT explained -.- and *SPOILER* the entire aspect of the spaceship was stupid as hell.

the craft: caught this on netflix. typical 90's teen angst. teen girl moves into new city, new school, new friends. friends are pseudo-witches, but then the girl is actually a witch herself. just a good halloween movie i guess.

Nov 10, 2011 11:52 AM ET #444 (permalink)

RTB

agreed VP with the PA3 take, i liked the whole covenant/ witch part but in the end its obvious the franchise/studio is trying to stretch this story out as much and as long as possible...in a way you cant blame them, PA3 has already exceeded its profits from part 2 and is on track to make more than the original already making at this point 100$ million world wide...
nothing intriguing for me movie wise coming out any time soon, from a horror standpoint we have TCM 3D coming out in late summer of 2012 and the lords of salem from rob zombie coming out about the same time...

Nov 10, 2011 11:54 AM ET #445 (permalink)

RTB

forgot to mention i'll probably go check out the last exorcism part2, however i dont really have the highest expectations for it

Nov 10, 2011 6:50 PM ET #446 (permalink)

I went and saw My Idiot Brother the other night at the $4 theater and was an awesome flick. It is a really good movie about this optimistic stoner who gets dicked around by everyone but always keep his positive outlook. My expectations were really low, because movies like that are so often retarded but I gave it a shot because it had Paul Rudd and Zooey. I am glad I did, very good story and the character Paul Rudd plays is one to remember.

(This post was last edited on November 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM ET.)

Nov 10, 2011 11:27 PM ET #447 (permalink)

^Ive always thought Paul Rudd was an underused actor. He could be really funny if given a decent oppurtunity. Like the way (to me) Ben stiller isnt really all that funny until you watch him in Zoolander and Dodgeball. I might watch that then. Also, Dinner for Smucks had the same reaction from me; I thought it would be mediocre despite having both Zach Galafanakis and Steve Carell in it, and then it ended up being really funny.

Nov 12, 2011 9:44 AM ET #448 (permalink)

this morning before power went off was watching rockstar on tv ok its a cheesie movie but a fun movie do love it
have seen it now at least 50 times hahaha

Nov 14, 2011 10:22 AM ET #449 (permalink)

RTB: yeah man. but there's plenty of great films coming out from late-Nov til the end of Dec now.
Muppets
A dangerous method (Viggo Mortensen and Michael Fassbender as Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung, respectively, just spells out amazing)
coriolanus (based on the shakespeare play, but set in modern times... i know, BUT it has gerald butler >;.>; lol... AND Ralph Fiennes)
tinker tailor soldier spy (incredible ensemble cast that includes gary oldman, tom hardy, mark strong, etc. so u can't go wrong)
mission impossible: ghost protocol
sherlock holmes: game of shadows
the girl with the dragon tattoo (american version by david finch, based the swedish films/books)
the adventures of tintin
darkest hour (interesting looking sci fi about an alien invasion, but the aliens are invisible balls of energy)

Nov 14, 2011 10:29 AM ET #450 (permalink)

^Even though i didnt expect to be, I've ended up being mildly intrigued with "The girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I judged it as shit that hipsters get excited about, but it legitimately looks really good.

Also, the new Mission impossible, "impossibly" looks badass. Considering I havent given two shits about the sequels, despite generally liking the first, I would say this is a great achievement. Simon Pegg being in the movie doesnt hurt either.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum