"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 401 - 425 of 615 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 401 - 425 of 615 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 25 Last
Sep 22, 2011 12:11 PM ET #401 (permalink)

I saw a movie called Gattaca yesterday that I thought was really good. The movie was one that I had never heard of, but now I want to buy it.

Sep 22, 2011 12:14 PM ET #402 (permalink)

I've heard of it but never seen it. What's it about?

Sep 22, 2011 1:29 PM ET #403 (permalink)

In the future human beings have two options at having a child, the "God or Natural Way" or the "Valid Way". The God/Natural Way is the way we have always known, man and woman have sex, BAM, baby! The Valid Way is to genetically engineer the child in the womb, taking man's sperm and woman's egg in a test tube and creating the child to your liking. You can chose their skin/eye/hair color, as well as eliminate any health condition, ie heart, prone to violence/alcoholism, etc. The scientist says, "Basically, you could try a thousand times and never create a child as good as this." The story focuses on two brothers, the older Vincent a Natural Child and younger Anton a Valid Child. The older child has multiple health conditions, such as heart problems and he needs glasses. The younger way is bigger, stronger, faster, but the spirit of the older one causes him to physically surpass his younger brother as they reach the end of their teenage years. Vincent's lifelong dream is to be an astronaut, and he leaves his family to go work at Gattaca, which is basically a corporate NASA. Since Natural Children, or In-Valids, are basically deemed inferior and are treated like second class citizens, Vincent can only get a job as a janitor. Everyday, however, he watches the shuttles launch into space and never stops wanting to be on a mission. One day the door for him to be a part of the program is opened when he contacts a man who illegally allows IN-Valids to assume the identity of Valids, in this case a Valid British Olympian swimmer named Jerome who has broken his back in an automobile accident. Vincent becomes Jerome, which is no easy task considering the security measures that are standard in the future (think Big Brother) such as daily blood and urine samples. The New Jerome works his way to the top of the space program and is finally told that he will launch in two weeks, but when the Program Director who opposes Jerome as best man to go into space is suddenly murdered a thorough police investigation is conducted in the lab and Jerome's entire life hangs in the balance. Is Jerome involved in the murder someone? Is his secret discovered by the detectives? Check out the movie to find out.

Sep 22, 2011 4:19 PM ET #404 (permalink)

Cool that sounds like a pretty interesting film, I'll have to check it out.

Sep 23, 2011 11:17 AM ET #405 (permalink)

I thought it was interesting, but not great. Fell asleep trying to watch the original Planet of the Apes the other day. I expected worse for such an old movie, but it has aged fairly well. Need to find time to finish it.

Sep 23, 2011 11:24 AM ET #406 (permalink)

Ever since I saw I remake I have been wanting to watch the original POTA. I thought Rise of the POTA was pretty damn good.

Sep 23, 2011 5:27 PM ET #407 (permalink)

The original was listed as "Very Long Wait" on Netflix and it took me about 6-8 weeks to finally get it I think.

Sep 23, 2011 6:38 PM ET #408 (permalink)

Damn, 6-8 weeks! That is a long time. I have been waiting for it to be shown on AMC or something but I have not seen it. I better consult my buddy Steve. He is one of those old-time stoners who have every movie known to man.

Sep 26, 2011 5:28 PM ET #409 (permalink)

Went to see Drive tonight, opinion of the film seemed to very mixed among the audience. I really enjoyed it. It's not the best film of the year I must say, but it's not bad. Like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, it's a surprisingly quiet film. The first half hour or so actually feels more like a romance movie to a degree, but when the action happens, it's fucking awesome. I heard some people say, "There's two hours of my life I won't get back" and one of my friends said to me, "I don't care if it is your birthday, I'm never going to see a film with you again after that." My other friends seemed to enjoy it but on different levels, I don't think anyone loved it though. Ryan Gosling is very good as always, but there were a few complaints because he didn't talk very much, though this suited the character perfectly and once again drew a comparison with Tinker Tailor due to the leading man staying relatively quiet throughout. All in all, I'd say it was a good film and worth a watch, but it's not the masterpiece everyone claims it to be. Final thought: That elevator scene man, that elevator scene.

Sep 26, 2011 7:51 PM ET #410 (permalink)

I've heard that it's not bad, but not quite the action flick or even as much driving as you'd expect from the previews. Seemed like a rental to me. Someone recently reminded me of Haywire - I forgot that is coming out, but it looked good from the previews. Looks like it's not til late January though. Guess The Thing is the only thing in the near future to see.

Sep 26, 2011 8:25 PM ET #411 (permalink)

Yeah the trailer was a little misleading. As I said, I thought it was very good, it certainly took everyone by surprise, which I like in a film. Don't know anything about Haywire but I'm looking forward to The Ides Of March, a political thriller starring Ryan Gosling and George Clooney, as well as Tyrannosaur, which I mentioned in an earlier post.

Sep 26, 2011 8:40 PM ET #412 (permalink)

Haywire looks great, though it strikes me as a girl version of Jason Bourne. Although, the fact that it feels like a rip-off and still has me intrigued is a testament to how good it looks. Plus, Gina Corana can kick my ass any day. Right after I fuck her of course. :P

Plus, all the names in the movie lend it a bit of credibility, what with Michael Douglas, Bill Paxton, Antonio Banderas, and Ewan Macgregor, who I always thought was a rather underrated actor(it's not his fault Star Wars 3 was the most hilariously terrible big budget movie ever, Seriously, I watch that movie just to laugh) Channing Tatum I used to hate, but after watching The Eagle Ive relaized hes actually a really great actor, hes just been underused in shitty plots, so his part in this movie could be good to.

So basically, it amounts to an all-star cast, girl version of The Bourne Identity, but with a girl who is actually an MMA fighter, and a damned good one at that, so if its anything near what the sum of it's parts suggest it to be, is should be great.

Here's the trailer Oz www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFV0Uvzpz0o

Sep 27, 2011 4:18 PM ET #413 (permalink)

Hmm, didn't look very appealing to me I have to say. I agree about Ewan McGregor being a great actor though. One of the main reasons why Trainspotting is my favourite film is his performance.

Just watched Valhalla Rising. Once again, a very quiet film. Almost no musical score and not alot of dialogue. Not bad but I'm not in a hurry to watch it again.

Oct 14, 2011 10:43 PM ET #414 (permalink)

Saw The Thing opening night tonight (I'm not a big horror fan, but have been looking forward to this since I heard it was a prequel) and it was exactly what I hoped and expected and then some. Think John Carpenter's The Thing with some Alien/Aliens mixed in. There were quite a few scenes actually that reminded me of Alien or Aliens, especially with all the alien hunting with flamethrower in hand. Except for a tiny bit of cheesiness, I loved the ending on all accounts. I don't want to give anything away because the surprise (mild as it was) was a pleasant one that was all the more enjoyable as a surprise.

Oz, I was quite surprised that there was a good mix of Norwegian with English subtitles, despite my doubts expressed earlier. They used it to good effect, but not too much - threw some Americans in there to justify speaking English more often than not.

Oct 14, 2011 11:07 PM ET #415 (permalink)

I'm going to see The Thing on Sunday with a couple of co-workers (I know, I know, I'll be missing football) but I watched the original & I'm not a horror fan (I scare easy) but the original was a masterpiece. I hope this one is as good.

Oct 15, 2011 6:02 AM ET #416 (permalink)

Good to hear DB, I'm gonna wait for DVD though, or at least until a friend downloads it.

Watched Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas yesterday. Never seen it before and it took me a while to get into, but ultimately I enjoyed it. Not in a rush to see it again though.

Oct 15, 2011 7:55 AM ET #417 (permalink)

Oz, Fear & Loathing is pretty fucked up film - in full meaning of the expression.
I think both Depp and del Toro were amazing on it. Some of the "drug haze" visions were a bit over the top to my liking but, oh well, it's a film by the visual genius Mr Terry Gilliam, so what do you expect.

Speaking of fucked up, saw 'Crips and Bloods: Made in America' documentary film directed by the original Z-boys, DogTown skater Stacy Peralta last night.
Man... I knew these two gangs were killing each other without a reason especially in LA, but what a tragedy it has become. Bodycount of 15000... it's unreal! More than the entire Northern Ireland situation. In other words, it is a war over there.
Amazing how far feuds can go.

Oct 21, 2011 8:57 PM ET #418 (permalink)

Saw a documentary on Norwegian Black Metal 'Until The Light Takes Us". I remember some of you guys talking about it quite a while back.
Definitely an eye opener for me. A good insight into their world. I was suprised that most of em arent even satanists nor want to be labeled as satanists. Interesting.

Oct 21, 2011 9:24 PM ET #419 (permalink)

That might have been me. I actually posted the documentary in a MetalUnderground article along with another black metal documentary and one on grindcore. Here's the link.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=71196

Oct 21, 2011 9:26 PM ET #420 (permalink)

That one hit Netflix streaming too and I checked it out. Same reaction. I can see how to those who don't like metal or black metal, it woudl serve more to further repulse them from it. But I watched with a sort of fascination and found a lot of interesting points about it, from the non-satanist stuff to the artistic angles and more.

Nov 1, 2011 11:47 PM ET #421 (permalink)

I finally saw The Human Centipede. WTF? That was a dumb movie and why the hell would they make part 2?

Nov 2, 2011 8:29 AM ET #422 (permalink)

Yeah it's average at best. It's just the hype that surrounded it really. Once people get past the whole eating poo thing they tend to see it's just another bland horror film.

Should be going to see The Ides Of March this week with my friend Steph, if I feel like it, I'll go see TinTin today too, but we'll see on that front.

Nov 2, 2011 1:33 PM ET #423 (permalink)

RTB

ya isaw the blackmetal doc as well, thought it was well done...for me i was not surprised about being mislabled as satanists, for the most part ive always thought blackmetal symbolized individualism in a sense
saw paranormal activity 3...
uh, not bad but not great, id reccomend to see it if your a fan of the series but id recommend the matinee showing
there were parts i liked and some were a bit too familiar...like oh thats just like that other movie
scale of 1-5 skulls?...2 1/2

Nov 3, 2011 10:51 AM ET #424 (permalink)

True. The film's a bit amateurish, to be honest. But I enjoyed it! Would give it 3 1/2 myself.

Seen a few "financial" films lately: The Inside Job and Michael Moore's Capitalism: A love story.

All I can say it's truly sad that money runs the world and the fat cats can really get away with absolutely anything. It's incredible what amounts these bank CEOs have been earning. They're not just making a million here, another one there, they're making HUNDREDS of millions.
It's sick.

Nov 3, 2011 11:05 AM ET #425 (permalink)

I watched Sherlock Holmes last night. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just couldn't. Robert Downey JR's awful English accent was a big part of this I think, but all in all it just didn't grab my attention. Mark Strong was good as Lord Blackwood though.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum