"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 351 - 375 of 615 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 351 - 375 of 615 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 Last
Aug 26, 2011 5:30 AM ET #351 (permalink)

DB, not sure, but the one I saw was one of the episodes where Dexter has just killed the relative of the guy played by Jimmy Smits (shows how much I know of the show ;)

I don't know.. I've watched maybe 5-6 episodes of Dexter and they all seem alike to me. Kinda like CSI these days.

Sep 1, 2011 1:40 AM ET #352 (permalink)

Oz, I finally saw RockNRolla last night.

erm... I thought it was terrible! Definitely worse than Revolver imo. Not for me.

Sep 1, 2011 2:31 AM ET #353 (permalink)

Oh, god, this is nothing like CSI - you need to watch them all in order to get the story and backstory. You definitely can't just jump into Dexter. I liked the original CSI, but Dexter is more of a story, and the individual episodes don't really stand on their own that well.

Sep 1, 2011 6:30 AM ET #354 (permalink)

Wow really? Each to their own I guess Wolf, I least you tried it.

There's an Irish film just come out that I really want to see called The Guard, it looks hilarious but it's not being shown in my town which is frustrating. It stars Brendan Gleeson has a small town policeman, Don Cheadle as an FBI agent and Liam Cunningham as a drug dealer.

Sep 1, 2011 5:50 PM ET #355 (permalink)

I kind of agree with Wolf, I got 3 episodes into the first season of Dexter, and just got bored with it. Like the same thing over and over. My friends love it. Idk, maybe like DB said, I need to give it a few more episodes. Im pumped for SOA season 4 tuesday, and sparticus come january!

Sep 3, 2011 1:51 PM ET #356 (permalink)

Apollo 18: if Blair Witch Project was about a moon landing... Funny thing is that I came home and saw the preview in HD and it looked SOOO crisp. I swear the movie felt like I was watching at 320 YouTube video in full-screen. The movie wasn't that bad, but the annoyance factor was so high that I wanted it to be over... and I think it was only about 1:20. So I can't really recommend it.

Sep 3, 2011 2:29 PM ET #357 (permalink)

It did look quite shit. Not really any films out at the moment that I want to see but I can't wait for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Drive. I'll watch anything with Ryan Gosling lol.

Sep 3, 2011 7:45 PM ET #358 (permalink)

Did anyone go see Conan? Even after the bad reviews, I'm still tempted to go see it just for some mindless fun. Probably won't though.

Sep 4, 2011 4:39 AM ET #359 (permalink)

Saw a true classic yesterday: THE CANNONBALL RUN!!

Lol! If that film doesn't make you laugh, please see a doctor asap. I know, silly and childish stuff most of it, but still funny as hell.

Sep 4, 2011 5:08 AM ET #360 (permalink)

Oh man I haven't seen The Cannonball Run since I was like ten years old. I seem to remember it being very funny.

Speaking of true classics, I watched Gandhi last night. Absolutely phenomenal film. Ben Kingsley certainly deserved the Oscar for that performance. The whole film was amazing though, I actually had a tear in my eye during the massacre scene.

Sep 4, 2011 7:55 AM ET #361 (permalink)

Oz, Cannonball Run, I hadn't seen it in like 15years. Still super funny film, in an idiotic way, but hey, it's the laughs that count ;)

I liked Ghandi as well. Remember it being really good. Fully agreed, it's a classic. Hmm... should definitely watch it again...

Sep 4, 2011 12:49 PM ET #362 (permalink)

I dont know if someone has mentioned this already(hell, I might have already), but BLACK DYNAMITE is the greatest movie ever made.

It's like a blaxploitation film parody. it looks like it was mad eint he 70s but it was mad elike two or three years ago. Can you dig it?

I'd like to take the credit, but dig, mama, there's no "i" in "revolutio...", in "team."

Sep 5, 2011 5:17 PM ET #363 (permalink)

watched Thor last night. my bf turned it off on me untill i stopped giggling.

im not usually that shallow, but chris hemsworth with no shirt will do that to a girl

Sep 5, 2011 8:53 PM ET #364 (permalink)

I was planning to see Conan, but I haven't found the time and it's nearly gone. I'd rather see it in non-3D than 3D, but for some reason it's only got like 2 3D showings in my theater.

My parents were reading something and ran across The Thing, which is coming out in October. They thought it was another remake, but turns out it's a prequel (just the same movie name). Carpenter's remake just hit Netflix streaming so I watched that and sure enough, the prequel fits right in and is about the Norwegian camp that they visit in the beginning of the movie. I never realized they left it so open to be expanded upon. Now I'm super-interested, although I'd be more excited if it was Carpenter directing again.

(This post was last edited on September 6, 2011 at 9:46 AM ET.)

Sep 5, 2011 8:57 PM ET #365 (permalink)

Best be in Norwegian otherwise they have no excuse for the Norwegian not talking English at the start of the John Carpenter film (and completely ruining the plot if you speak Norwegian.)

Sep 5, 2011 10:48 PM ET #366 (permalink)

Somehow I don't see a horror movie subtitled its entire length though... I wouldn't mind if it was a well-done foreign film though.

Sep 5, 2011 11:16 PM ET #367 (permalink)

Conan was disgustingly good. Walked in with low expectations, walked out with a massive broner.

Saw rise of the planet of the apes yesterday. Definitely a lot better than I had it pegged for.

Sep 6, 2011 12:57 PM ET #368 (permalink)

I saw Conan a couple weeks ago and it really surpised me how good it was. Granted, my xpectations were pretty low but I am going to buy it when it comes out on DVD.

I went and saw Rising of the Planet of the Apes yesterday and it was a really good movie. It well written, good cast, and they even threw in the "Get your hands off me you Dirty Ape, " line which brought a chuckle from the audience. I could tell the makes actually respected the original material, which seems to never happen in Hollywood. James Franco is one of the best actors today, and the Indian doctor who played the female lead was really good as well.

There was a preview before Planet of the Apes for a movie called In Time that is coming out in November that looks really good. The only thing that worries me is that it stars Justin Timberlake, who cannot act his way of a paper bag. I am really looking forward to though

Sep 6, 2011 5:26 PM ET #369 (permalink)

Saw Rise of the planet of the apes the other day too. At first I was like, yeah right, apes take over planet from a population culled form a zoo and a primate reserve. yeah, sure. Unfortuantely for my cynicism, it was actually worked out quite well how it would happen, with the inclusion of the pilot scene at the end, leaving the audience the ability to imagine what happens next in their own minds. Plus, the movie was damn good.

Bruno: that new "Predators" movie paid the same level of repect to the original, with lines like "what the hell are you", among others, occasionally popping up, while still maintaining itself as a wholly autonomous movie experience. If you havent seen it, and were a fan of the first one, I would absolutely reccommend it.

Sep 8, 2011 5:09 AM ET #370 (permalink)

I know this isn't 2010, but Jim Carrey's 23. Just read Cynic diss it on the latest Megadeth article, and I'm curious; every time that movie comes up, people seem to hate it. Personally I like it. I posted a comment in the article, but I really wanted to hear what other people thought about the movie, so here's my reply (plus embellishments):

I thought Jim Carrey was really good in 23, he played the disturbed role superbly for someone who is instantly typecasted as an affable goof, perhaps even better because of it. In fact I like him more, by far, in his semi-serious roles than his typical comedy ones which at this stage are so far overdone it's (and they're) not funny. As for the movie itself, 23 was well written; it based its plausability solely on the fragility of the human mind while keeping suggestions of the supernatural blurred and out of focus - the audience can't be sure the film actually alludes to anything more unreal than the paranoid imaginings of an emotionally unstable man. It flirted with that Sin City-esque noir feel, too, which I also liked. Frankly, I don't see what everyone's beef with 23 is. Along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I would say it is among Jim Carrey's best film of his career.

What do you guys think??

Sep 8, 2011 6:15 AM ET #371 (permalink)

Ok here's what I meant - I like Jim Carey, and thought he did fine in the movie. The problem was the fact the plot was cheap. Since Oz was interested I won't give anything away, but the point is I can list several other films with the near exact same type of plot.

Sep 8, 2011 6:22 AM ET #372 (permalink)

Cheers for not spoiling it Cynic :)

Sep 8, 2011 6:16 PM ET #373 (permalink)

True, it didn't exactly break any new ground, but I don't know that any movies really have done since like, the 50's. They're all exactly the same as a million other movies, only difference is how well its written, cast, produced and directed really. Who can come up with a genuinely original story these days? Not me :(

Sep 8, 2011 6:41 PM ET #374 (permalink)

"Who can come up with a genuinely original story these days?"

That sounds like a challenge to me!

Here we go then. There's this attractive woman who's unable to settle down with a man her age because she gets bored easily and isn't looking for anything serious. Soon her and her attractive male friend decide that it would be fun to have no strings attached sex, convinced that it won't ruin their friendship. But surprise is in store for the pair when love rears it's head! Guarantee you won't see another film like that this year.

Sep 8, 2011 7:14 PM ET #375 (permalink)

Oh totally, I mean there are valid cases for not caring about original plots too (i.e. I want to see Stallone beating the snot out of people VIII). I think my problem was that it was expanding a specific type of plot setup that had been done already.

Or put more succintly, imagine if 3 or 4 movies came out which all had slight variations on a plot where the outcome of the plot was that it turns out the weird stuff in the movie was happening because the main character was actually the reincarnation of Jesus, or Bhudda or some deity (or maybe Superman like Unbreakable). Pretty specific plot device/twist right? Well when a 5th movie that comes out with that same plot element, and one doesn't even do it as well as the previous movies at that, gets a comment like I made in that thread :)

On another topic - can we have more good Jim Carrey movies please? He's a great actor and I think given the chance has classics left in him (not involving penguins).

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum