"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Movies in 2010

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Movies in 2010

Displaying posts 276 - 300 of 615 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 Last
Displaying posts 276 - 300 of 615 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 25 Last
Jul 21, 2011 6:35 PM ET #276 (permalink)

"I was interested in the new spidey trailer until they showed that first-person view parkour thing. Then I got pissed off."

I thought the same thing. Total immersion fail - felt like I was watching a game demo, not a movie.

Jul 21, 2011 6:35 PM ET #277 (permalink)

"I was interested in the new spidey trailer until they showed that first-person view parkour thing."

Agreed, awful.

Conan? Yeah trailer looks good, no doubt. And I suppose when you think about it, there's a lot more to the Hyborian Age mythologies than the original ever covered (was more a vehicle for Arnie to be awesome in), so whether it will come out and seem like 'remake' vs a 'reboot' is an interesting thought.

Jul 21, 2011 6:47 PM ET #278 (permalink)

Yeah, I thought they figured out the first-person action movie shit didnt work in Doom? I really hope it isnt in the movie, and it's just in the trailer.

Conan, I havent even seen the trailer for, and Im excited anyway. Even if it's just a silly remake with some muscle dude trying to be brutal, I think it could be fun. The last Rambo had plot like a clownfish has acne, but goddamn was it fun to watch, so I look at it that way. Even if it sucks, it could be awesome.

Jul 21, 2011 6:59 PM ET #279 (permalink)

I liked the last Rambo too, First Blood is one of the great imo. Predators was also good in the same way, faithful to what made the original great.

...Here's a scary thought, if they're remaking Total Recall and Conan as well as recently new Predator/Terminator movue - does that mean we'll get another Commando?

Bad guy - 'Fuck you, asshole!' (realizes he has no bullets)
Matrix - 'Fuck *you*, asshole.

Shakespearean stuff.

Jul 21, 2011 10:32 PM ET #280 (permalink)

LOL. I was in a programmer's online meetup (geek stuff) today and the guy ended his slide show with a photo of bodybuilder Arnold. Someone made a crack about the house maid situation and I half-quoted Commando and said "he could break your neck like a chicken's" (Maybe it was "snap your neck"...) I don't think he got it.

Commando was never one of my favorites though. I hope Arnold gets a decent role in Expendables 2 or some decent action movies.

(This post was last edited on July 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM ET.)

Jul 22, 2011 9:57 AM ET #281 (permalink)

I always liked Commando just because it was so silly. As far as Arnie in Expendables 2 goes, Sly said they want to expand his role but it won't be massive. It's more likely he'll have a main role in the third one. Jean-Claude Van Damne has confirmed that he will be in Expendables 2 though, most likely as a villain.

Jul 22, 2011 9:08 PM ET #282 (permalink)

^JCVD! Holy shit awesome monkeyballs dick-rhino shitasm. That was the one cheesy action star they were missing and now they have him.

Lord FAN is pleased.

Jul 22, 2011 10:11 PM ET #283 (permalink)

Van Damme looked pretty terrible last I saw him on TV. Worse than Steven Segal, who keeps popping up in the MMA world for teaching techniques to certain Brazilian fighers.

Jul 23, 2011 5:50 AM ET #284 (permalink)

I don't know if it's being aired in America but I keep seeing an advert on telly of JCVD promoting Coors Light. I like it because it's a blatant piss take. Here it is for anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHocrK59bo

Jul 29, 2011 2:06 PM ET #285 (permalink)

Have to say as a lifelong Conan fan (saw the movie in the theatre at age 5, own and read all the Robert Howard stuff) I'm not sure I'm on board with the stylized, 300 type violence. I guess in my head I've always saw the Hyborian age as much more visceral.
The slo-mo technique worked for 300, (and then for a few movies afterwards which ripped it off) but I'd rather see less CGI and more realistic gore in the manner of Valhalla Rising or Ironclad. Ironclad was a very little-known film that was almost not released if my facts are straight. Had some really well known names with Paul Giamatti, Brian Cox, and James Purefoy. What it turned out to be though was a disturbing look at medieval warfare. VERY violent, ugly and a bit disturbing at times. I loved it.
I will be there to see Conan when it's released, but I have a feeling I will walk away from it wishing I had seen more set interaction, better acting and less green screen/CGI film technique.

Aug 3, 2011 11:52 AM ET #286 (permalink)

I saw Captain America last night and thought it was pretty good. I loved all the Avengers tie-ins and didn't realize it would be so connected (Howard Stark, vibranium shield, Norse mythology, etc.) I've heard people say it was cheesy, but I didn't really get that feeling much. I thought Thor was at least 10x cheesier, though still enjoyable.

Aug 3, 2011 5:18 PM ET #287 (permalink)

^I saw it recently as well. Not as good as Thor in my opinion(though I may be a bit biased, if anyone knows what i look like lol) but about on par with Iron man i would say. Not as much action as I would have liked, but I honestly thought they developed the story very well, even with that corny war bonds schtick, which helped explain the rediculous costume.

And for anyone who may have thought it was cheesy...it was a movie set in the 1940's...what the fuck did they think the movie would be shooting for? It's the contrast between the campy forties and the present day's moral ambiguity that made Captain America's moral compass so important; that contrast is the definiton of his character and his role in the marvel universe. Hence, I believe they approached that movie's atmosphere very well, especially for a movie that's supposed to be a superhero action flick.

Aug 3, 2011 5:57 PM ET #288 (permalink)

Yeah, I agree - they did a great job of developing his character as well as tying it into the Avengers. I liked it a lot actually.

Looking forward to the Planet of the Apes prequel and Conan now...

(This post was last edited on August 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM ET.)

Aug 3, 2011 6:04 PM ET #289 (permalink)

Since it's set in the 40s, does Captain America go around forcing black people to the back of buses and the like?

I'm interested in Conan and Planet Of The Apes, but from what I've been told, if you've seen the trailer for the latter, you don't need to see the film as it bacically sums everything up, like The Fighter.

Aug 3, 2011 6:38 PM ET #290 (permalink)

^actually, there was a black dude just running around in their company, and I may possibly have had a racist joke in my head that was withheld from being spoken aloud, due to my proximity to several floating smiles in the dark theater.

I only want to see Apes becasue it's going to be a fun distraction, and I mildly want to see if theyre trying to tie it into the Mark Wahlberg remake, which would fail miserably and be stupid, but i still wanna see if they try.

Aug 3, 2011 6:49 PM ET #291 (permalink)

Haha, I kinda wanna see Apes too just because it seems like it's been a while since I've been to the cinema, though this is probably due to the fact that I've enjoyed few films that have been released this year and went alot more last year. But yeah, I can't see them trying to tie it into the Wahlberg version, I think (and hope) that film has been buried.

Aug 3, 2011 7:08 PM ET #292 (permalink)

I think I'll skip Apes. I barely bought the idea of apes taking over when Slough Feg wrote the concept album, I doubt I can suspend belief for a full movie. Maybe if every household had an ape lying around waiting to go... err apeshit yeah, but what, you only need 30-40 apes to take over a city these days? Give me a break!

Aug 3, 2011 9:35 PM ET #293 (permalink)

haha, I'll let you know how it is then :-)

Aug 3, 2011 9:59 PM ET #294 (permalink)

I just watched a film called Specied which was released in 1995. I watched it for two reasons. Number one: I remember Matt Stone and Trey Parker talking about it alot on a South Park video I had when I was a kid. Number two: Ben Kingsley was in it and I just can't turn down Sir Ben. Anyway, it was a pretty enjoyable sci-fi action flick and supporting roles from Forest Whittaker and the Australian guy that played Doc Ock in Spidey 2 were welcome additions. The CGI at the end was hilariously bad though.

Aug 5, 2011 8:58 PM ET #295 (permalink)

Oz, you seen Layer Cakes with Daniel Craig? Just saw it last night (for the 2nd time, saw it around 2005 but I was way too pissed to follow it through). Liked it. Good stuff (although on occasions, somewhat pretentiously brutal)

I honestly don't know why Daniel Craig took the "James Bond" role. I know, I know, I guess it's the ultimate compliment for any British actor... but still... on Layer Cakes he was absolutely dynamite!

And bad new for Terminator fans (like me): apparently, the next Terminator film will involve the producer Neil Moritz, mostly known for cinematic masterpieces such as "Fast and the Furious", "XXX" and "Bikerboyz".... and as an icing on the cake, apparently Mr. Paul Walker will be in the fold... lovely. Just add Vin Diesel (although I think he's an amazing actor, based on his performance on Boiler Room and A Man Apart) and Michelle Rodriguez, what do we have then? Terminator 5: The Fast And the furious (6)?

Just go and ruing Alien, Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now while you're at it.

How about Apocalypse Now 2 with Justin Bieber? Oh.... I think I'm seeing the future now.

Aug 5, 2011 9:06 PM ET #296 (permalink)

I have indeed Wolf. Fantastic film, so stylish! I remember when it came out, some people were really disappointed because they were expecting another Lock, Stock or Snatch. Fools. In any case, I love everything about that film, especially the soundtrack.

Staying at a friend's flat in Winchester atm and not long watched 24 Hour Party People. It's a really fun film. It's a sensationalised account of the careers of Joy Division and Happy Mondays. Speaking of Joy Division, I don't suppose any of you have seen the movie "Control"? I wanna check that out quite badly.

(This post was last edited on August 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM ET.)

Aug 5, 2011 10:29 PM ET #297 (permalink)

Oz, I haven't seen "Control" but thanks for reminding me on it, gotta see it! I am A huge Joy Division fan!
Don't know... maybe the the film would open up to what really went on with Ian Curtis. Most likely it won't but still, it's absolutely a "must see" for me. I like New Order as well, and you can sense the ghost of Curtis there somewhere.

Joy Division is one of the most underrated bands ever! People hear 'Love will break us apart' now and go - "whats this 80s synth crap, they guy cant even sing"... but he was singing with everything he had. And he really meant what he said. Yes: didn't sound like Bono, didn't sound like Chris Martin, or Ricky Martin... cos he was real.

As for Lock Stock and Snatch. I absolutely love Snatch. Lock Stock is ok. Snatch is a movie I wanna see over and over again. Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels isn't.

Speaking of Guy Richie? Seen Revolver with Statham?
Saw it a while ago... hmm... it was ok... but, just that. Seen it?

Aug 7, 2011 9:54 AM ET #298 (permalink)

Apparantly the film is a little exaggeratted by when asked about it, New Order said it's more exciting than what actually happened and praised the film. I love both bands too, fantastic music.

I love both Lock, Stock and Snatch, but I actually prefer Lock, Stock because I think it's alot more stylish, whereas Snatch reminds me too much of boring grey, drizzly days, though it's still awesome. I tried watching Revolver when it came out, I think we turned it off after half an hour. It was boring and stupid. That said I haven't seen it all the way through so maybe I should give it another shot. Have you seen Rock N' Rolla?

Aug 8, 2011 5:13 PM ET #299 (permalink)

"If a slap don't work, you cut 'em or you pay 'em, but you keep your receipts, 'cause this ain't the mafia."

Aug 9, 2011 4:45 AM ET #300 (permalink)

Haven't seen Rock N Rolla. Isnt that the Guy Richie one with the Gerard Butler fella?
I agree with you on Revolver... it was just way too confusing. Not that bad, but still just too many coincidents etc.

Just saw "The Other Guys" last night. Not bad at all... liked it!

Welcome back, Headie!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum