"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

2012 a reflection.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> 2012 a reflection.

Displaying 12 posts
Displaying 12 posts
Dec 20, 2012 3:29 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I don’t think MU did a best of list last year and I don’t know if they’ll do one this year so I’ll weigh in with my favorites from the past year.
My best of…not a top ten, just my favorites…BrianMN’s 2012 metal awards…for which the winners receive absolutely nothing.
In no particular order…as well as a recommended track to go check out.
Cheers.

Meshuggah – Koloss
Heavy, catchy and genuinely tasty…recommended youtube track “Do Not Look Down”

Cryptopsy – Cryptopsy
A triumphant return, brutalicious…recommended youtube track…”The Golden Square Mile”

Fear Factory – Industrialist
A lot of people ripped this album.
I think it’s probably their most well rounded album to date.
The only thing that’s growing old is the lyrical subject of man vs. machine…yawn…recommended youtube track “Virus of Faith”.

Amon – Liar in Wait
Deicide….one coin…two sides.
After listening to Glen rip the Hoffman brothers for years saying they never did or wrote anything we get to hear what the Hoffs have to say.
Sorry Glen and Steve you may have the Deicide name but you are Deicide in name only.
The heart and soul of that band lies with Eric and Brian.
Liar in Wait simply obliterates everything Deicide has done since they left.
Still unsigned you can buy the disc from Eric directly. Still no word on tour plans. The Amon camp has been pretty quiet lately.
Even if Glen and Steve wrote the majority of the material post “Legion” that really doesn’t matter since Eric and Brian wrote the first two albums…and really those are the only two Deicide albums that ever mattered to begin with.
The video for “Among Us” is on youtube.

Nile – At The Gates of Sethu.
The most consistent band in the underground Nile released a somewhat controversial album with crisp and not so muddy guitars much to some peoples displeasure…but not mine.
Another home run for the Egyptian gods of metal.
Recommended youtube track… “Ethno-Musicological Cannibalisms.”

Testament – Dark Roots of Earth.
The Ritual II (???)
Kind of…
A brilliant 80’s era Testament return with leads, riffs, vocals… you name it.
Recommended youtube track…”A Day In The Death”.

And BrianMN’s album of the year goes to……..
Enslaved – Riitiir.
Brilliant, amazing, you name it.
For all of you who hated Opeth’s Heritage…Enslaved proved you can do hippy prog metal and still be brutal as fvck.
Recommended track…all of them.
I started with Thoughts Like Hammers and was hooked.

A couple of awesome songs that I bought but not the actual album….
18 Days from Six Feet Under….Barns revisits “Bleeding” era Cannibal Corpse and succeeds.
The Manticore from Cradle of Filth….great track…didn’t care for the rest of the album though.

Looking forward to 2013
Rings Of Saturn yeah the album leaked but it’s still a Feb 2013 release that I’ll be buying on day one.
A front runner for album of the year.

New albums from Project Hate, Slayer (maybe), Carcass, Suffocation, Alice in Chains, Born of Osiris, Broken Hope, Entombed, an EP from Vildhjarta, Possessed and a slew of others. 2013 is shaping up quite nicely.

And two as of yet unsigned bands that I’m looking forward to hearing more of…
Siren’s Cry (thank you Cromcarl for the intro)
And another symphonic band called Dead Silence Hides My Cries. I’ve only heard the trailer but it sounds very promising.
And there you have it.

Dec 20, 2012 7:51 PM ET #2 (permalink)

To put your fears aside Brian, MU will be bringing the Best Of "awards" back in the next few weeks. I voted today :)

Dec 20, 2012 7:59 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Glad to hear. Just about every band I've come to like over the past three years has been because of the staff and regular posters here.

Dec 21, 2012 11:26 AM ET #4 (permalink)

I dropped the ball last year. I've passed the honors on to Ty (xFiruath) and sent in my votes as well.

(This post was last edited on December 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM ET.)

Dec 21, 2012 12:38 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean it as any kind of cheap shot.
I love to hear from everyone what their faves were...that's how I get introduced to new bands.

Dec 21, 2012 1:01 PM ET #6 (permalink)

No worries. I need to give RIITIIR another try as well.

I only had about 5 albums that I REALLY liked this year, so picking a top 5 was easy. I can't reveal my picks til it's published, however. I still bought a bunch of music - mostly stuff I missed from last year and older stuff I'm just now discovering.

(This post was last edited on December 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM ET.)

Dec 21, 2012 1:20 PM ET #7 (permalink)

I think I only bought five metal albums that were released this year, so I didn't have much choice about my votes :P

Wasn't taken as a cheap shot. I think on the contrary, it's a compliment that you'd be interested in what the writers think and that you'd take our word on what bands and albums to check out.

Dec 21, 2012 1:30 PM ET #8 (permalink)

^^^Understood.
And...lol...that's why I didn't do a top ten...I couldn't come up with that many. :)

Dec 23, 2012 1:33 PM ET #9 (permalink)

We've just released a 3 track 2012 themed concept, link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHp3ZHLz54
Thanks. The whole thing is there. Just not interested in selling CDs anymore. It's all about personal exploration of the art:)

Dec 26, 2012 11:34 AM ET #10 (permalink)

R10

A few of my favorites of '12: Testament, Accept, Kreator, Between the Buried & Me, Wintersun, and the new Deftones. So many other great releases in '12 . Good year for metal. Slightly dissatisfied with Gojira's and High on Fires new albums. Decent, but failed to live up to the hype.

Dec 26, 2012 2:51 PM ET #11 (permalink)

@R10
I've been meaning to check out Kreator and Wintersun.
Thanks!

Dec 26, 2012 4:18 PM ET #12 (permalink)

R10

You will not be disappointed in either album , Brian mn! Both are great. I could list 25 albums that came out in '12 that really connected with me. It really was a strong year for metal!

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum