"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Any MMA Fans in the House?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Any MMA Fans in the House?

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 52 1 2 3 Last
Jul 12, 2009 8:48 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Just curious how many MMA/UFC fans we have here. Who saw UFC 100 last night?

Jul 12, 2009 10:27 PM ET #2 (permalink)

O man UFC 100 was FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!I'm happy Brock Lesnar won,but I'm NOT happy that GSP won...again.

Jul 12, 2009 10:41 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Yeah, same here. I wan't to see GSP get beat finally, but he dominated. I did want Brock to win too, but his poor sportsmanship and drama was a bit of a disappointment. Still, he's a beast and I don't know who can touch him after the utter destruction of Mir.

Jul 13, 2009 3:32 PM ET #4 (permalink)

A friend of mine is dating Brock's trainer. That dude is fucking huge!

Jul 13, 2009 3:46 PM ET #5 (permalink)

"I'm gonna go home, open a coor's light, because Bud Light doenst give me any money, and then I might get on top of my wife tonight! YEAH!!!!" -Brock Lesnar, biggest douchebag of all time.

Jul 13, 2009 7:58 PM ET #6 (permalink)

think its time the ufc will invite the dutch fighters
holland will kill them all

Jul 13, 2009 9:37 PM ET #7 (permalink)

There's a couple Dutch fighters in there. If the sport isn't big in a given country and there aren't enough high caliber fighters to train with, then I don't think you'll see many good fighters from there. They either move to the US or UK to train with other good fighters or keep fighting in the middle tier at best. That's about where Hardonk and Struve (I think he's Dutch) are. I have no idea what the fight scene is like in the Netherlands tho. What's big there? Kickboxing seems to be fairly big in Europe overall.

(This post was last edited on July 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM ET.)

Jul 14, 2009 9:59 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I just recently got into UFC/MMA fighting a few weeks ago via a late Sunday night highlight reel that they show on a local channel. I don't know very many of the fighters except for Lesnar, Chuck Liddell (I think?) and Evans, but I think it's damn entertaining.

Jul 15, 2009 12:15 AM ET #9 (permalink)

It takes a while to learn the sport AND lots of the fighters across 5 weight classes (+3 more if you watch WEC with the really lightweights). But I enjoy the complexity, strategy, and technical aspects of the fights a lot.

Jul 16, 2009 1:50 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Me too, I just haven't been watching it long enough to get names down. It's kind of hard when the show consists of only 4 fights and it's an hour long, lol. But I watched this "Science of MMA" thing on YouTube and it gave me a better insight into the sport.

During a Ground 'N Pound, a single punch packs as much force as the equivalent of a car driving over your head, all because of grounding, weight distribution, and kinetic energy! That's just insane.

Jul 16, 2009 6:36 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Red

LOve Ufc and did watch ufc 100. What do you guys have against GSP ?
He's freaking awesome, represents MMa very well, he's classy, humble, hard working...I really don't get you guys seriously.

I mean what agreat champ. Brock Lesnar is a huge dumbass and do not represent the sport well.

So instead if wishing a class act and excellent fighter to loose, you should encourage him to continu his excellent streak.

Jul 16, 2009 8:41 PM ET #12 (permalink)

^ I'm sorry Red but the reason we all hate GSP,well,my reason at least,is cuz he knows he's good & is just a huge douche about it.I mean the man does have some good skills in the octagon.Here's an example of his doucheness,he was fighting Matt Hughes in a rematch,obviously the fight went to the gound & guess what,GSP's balls were in Matt's face so GSP did an arm bar on Matt in such a way that GSP's ball's were in his face.So what happened?Matt tapped,not because it hurt but because GSP's ball's were in his face.Another time,I forgot who was fighting,I think it was Matt Hughes again,but when Matt won Joe Rogan did the post fight interview & GSP had a couple of words for Matt.GSP said & I quote "That was a good fight,but I am not impressed by your perfomance Matt & I look forward to seeing you in the ring."So that's why GSP needs to DIE!

Jul 16, 2009 11:22 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Yeah, he (GSP) may seem classy and humble now, but he was cocky before he got upset by Sera. Mostly I don't like seeing these guys who seem unbeatable continue to win for too long, and especially put on long fights without finishing. I'd just like to see the reign come to an end (moreso with Anderson Silva). Brock has holes in his game still and is largely untested, so I think it's more entertaining to watch him just to see what happens.

Jul 17, 2009 1:34 PM ET #14 (permalink)

If you think about it, Brock Lesnar being an arsehole is great for the company. It's something he picked up from wrestling, people will pay good money to see someone they don't like lose. Apparantly Dana White loved his promo after the fight. It may not be good sportsmanship, but it's good business. Similar to Mike Tyson. As a kid I knew how hard Tyson was but didn't like him at all, so my family (being boxing fans) would shell out the money for the pay-per-view, stay up until three in the morning for the Tyson fight and be disappointed when he lost, but Don King and Sky Sports made their money from us.

Jul 17, 2009 5:02 PM ET #15 (permalink)

When I saw it, I honestly thought that he had chosen to play a villain type character (drawing on his Wrestling experience) and that it was intentional. I don't know if it was or if he was just hyped/pissed, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded to see Lesnar lose because Mir has a great story and represents the sport more. But the utter domination was a nice comeback for Brock's previous loss too. I enjoy good, exciting fights. So when fighters seem too dominant, it takes away the excitement if the result is essentially a foregone conclusion. And again, when it's a 5-round foregone conclusion, it's a bit boring.

Jul 17, 2009 9:54 PM ET #16 (permalink)

Red

Gsp rules and well ok if you hate him because he learned from his mistakes.

He is not a douche and let's face it, he is phenomenal and there is no way he doesn't know it so what ? You would go around if you where in his shoes and pretend you where a hobbo ? C'mon.

And about the Matt Hugues thing, yes he did say he was not impressed but admitted that he did that to prmote the fight...and Dana was quite happy about it. And anyways he went on to kick Matt's ass huge time so I guess he was right !

GSP RULES !

Jul 18, 2009 1:47 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Yea I hate 5-round decision fights,they're so boring.I just like to see a good ol' knockout like in the Dan Henderson-Michael Bisbing fight.That was awesome.

Jul 21, 2009 12:16 AM ET #18 (permalink)

I loved what Lesnar did. It's about time people stopped being polite and started being real (sorry, The Real World is on in the next room). I want to see athletes so invested in winning that it consumes their psyche and prevents them from making any acts that could be interpreted as being cordial or polite (I'm looking at you GSP). Not with all of them, just a healthy dose. Also, minus the theatrics, it's no different than LeBron skipping handshakes after getting beat. Athletes aren't paid to be sportsmanlike, they're just expected to be. If I wanted to see sportsmanship I'd go to a little league game, but I want to see unbridled competition. People pushing themselves as far as possible. Exceeding expectation and challenging our personal realms of possibility. I guess that's why I'm sort of a front-runner. I love me some Fedor and Silva. But enough about me, how about Bisbing getting knocked back to 1776!!! USA! USA!

Jul 21, 2009 12:59 AM ET #19 (permalink)

^ ......YES!!!!!!I cannot put into words how great that was typed & dang right Michael Bisbing got knocked back to 1776...I just wish we could knock back those damn dirty Japs.lol.I love you Iggy...not in a homosexual way,the way black people say it to their friends.lol.

(This post was last edited on July 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM ET.)

Jul 21, 2009 7:25 AM ET #20 (permalink)

Red

Gsp rules ! Sportsmanship is necessary in the UFc because those guys aredestroying each other out and in the end, when all is said and done, you need to recognize the courage and hard training it took to get there.

What Lesnar did was WWE shit and I certainly don't want to see it in the Ufc. I think Mir got is lesson in the octagon and he didn't need for Lesanar to get in is face at the end. He was already down for crying out loud, he just lost and Lesnar proved his point. it was cheap, unecessary and idiotic.

And well I did laugh my ass out when Bisping got rocked solid. He kept circling towards the right hand and got it !!!

When he woke up, you could hear him ask : did I win ? That was hilarious. Congrats to USA for showing those Brits who the real men are.

Jul 21, 2009 8:18 AM ET #21 (permalink)

"Congrats to USA for showing those Brits who the real men are."

Oi! We'll have less of that!

Jul 21, 2009 9:24 AM ET #22 (permalink)

Well the Brits did own the US on the reality showlast season. But I was pleased to see Bisping get ktfo too (has nothing to do with US vs. UK), as he's highly overrated and has been doing a little too much back peddaling the last couple fights. He did vs Hendo too, but Hendo just waded right back in and Bisping never really threw anything that could hurt him.

Jul 21, 2009 11:08 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Red

Yeah he kept circling right in Henderson's mean right hand...it was bound to happen.

Bisping is goos though, not overated but he met a legend and a brilliant fighter. HEnderson was just the better out there and is certainly one of the best to go inside the octagon.

That was a mean knock out.

Jul 22, 2009 12:31 AM ET #24 (permalink)

Thanks Hebrew, I've always wanted a Jewish friend haha

I normally like Bisbing, but I always love Hendo! If I have one complaint from UFC 100 it's that they didn't put Jonny 'Bones' Jones on the main card. Anyone seen him fight? Possibly/probably the most entertaining fighter to watch. Maybe the most athletic fighter in the UFC (and that's saying something). It's as if Dana White let a 14 year old video game nerd create a fighter. Belly-to-belly suplexes, flying elbows, superman punches, fireballs...the guy is nuts. And he's only 21 or 22.

(This post was last edited on July 22, 2009 at 12:37 AM ET.)

Jul 22, 2009 10:17 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I'm just starting to get into MMA - Had a friend a few years ago who was solidly into UFC, I couldn't understand it then (though I did love the brutality of it hahah). Now I'm doing Muay Thai for some healthy excercise, and our trainer also does MMA stuff as well, so that's gotten me a lot more interested in the whole thing.

It's a lot more interesting once you realise there are actually tactics and strategies and it's not just trying to elbow the shit out of the other guy's head (though that can be fun to watch too).

Oh, and I saw that Fight Science doco too, it was crazy! Instead of tiring out from lactic acid build up, the dude was decreasing his lactic acid levels WHILST straining non stop holding a headlock!!! Blew my mind hahah

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum