"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Help with triggering/sampling live

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Help with triggering/sampling live

Displaying 4 posts
Displaying 4 posts
Jan 8, 2010 12:46 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Heyy, I'm relatively new to this forum, but my friend recommended me posting this problem here, and seeing if anyone here could help me.

I'm hoping to use bass booms live, along with maybe a sample of a firecracker and some other sounds, along with triggering the bass drum. At the moment I have an Alesis DM5 USB Pro Kit. So I have pads that I can use as triggers. I'm wondering if I could buy a sampler that will use the midi notes from the Alesis Trigger I/O.

I was also considering buying a Roland SPD-S, and have all the sounds uploaded there, but I don't know if you can have an input triggering one of the pads (for triggering the bass drum)

Just looking at the most cost effective way of doing all this, all your help would be much appreciated :)

Jan 8, 2010 12:58 PM ET #2 (permalink)

You probably should have posted this in the musicians chat, but i'm sure DB will move it for you at some point. My drummer uses the DM5 in tandem with a midi sampler (BOSS). He has no issues with the bass booms and the sample running at the same time. Is this what you were asking?

Jan 8, 2010 1:09 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Hey there, Thanks for your reply.

I think thats pretty much what I'm going for. Do you know exactly what midi sampler it is?
I just looked around for 'Boss Samplers' roughly, but couldn't find anything that useful.

And yeahh, I noticed I kinda posted it in the wrong place afterwards xD

Thanks, Ash

Jan 8, 2010 2:29 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I don't know the model, but it's an older unit. His first one broke last year and I remember him bitching about how long it took to find another one on Craigs list.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum