"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MY 2ND DOWN EXPERIENCE

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> MY 2ND DOWN EXPERIENCE

Displaying 10 posts
Displaying 10 posts
Oct 3, 2012 9:05 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Well another DOWN show in the books. It was a great and absolutely insane night had by all who were in attendance. I type this with a very cloudy (and "smoky") brain and a battered body that feels like tenderized beef jerky while trying to gather my senses to be able to remember everything about last nights extraveganza.

I arrived at 1030 am (which I will never do again!!) to see I was the very 1st person there. By some strange twist of luck the gates were open. Shortly after arriving the sky fell!!!!! It began pouring all hell down. Thankfully I was under cover near the front door. DOWN was the 1st band bus to pull in. My "Need a roadie for the day" sign didnt work. As the day wore on moire people showed up. These were the V.I.P. ticket holders. There was a meet-n-greet prior to the show and for only $120 you got to meet and chat with and get signed gear by DOWN. I, sadly, was not among them.....

My buddy showed to collect his ticket and we made sure to smoke our brains right before heading in!! Doors opened at 7 and the scramble was on to get the good spots up front. Tremont Music Hall is not a big huge venue. It is an excellent place to see your favorite bands in a close and personal setting. There is not one bad spot in Tremont. The opening band, Mount Carmel, was a blues/rock/jam band, which, IMO, was odd for the night. The band is very talented and can work their groove with great precision. I just couldnt feel their groove. I guess I was too jacked up with energy that it wasnt reaching me and I mean that with absolutely no disrespect to the band, I took the halfway point of their set to grab some H2O from the bar. I will give Mount Carmel a 10 of 10 based on their skills and execution of their skills. I definitely want to check them out again but under more laid back conditions!!

Next up was the mighty WARBEAST.....The nights chaos level went up 3 levels when the action started. Fists flying, pits circling, bodies floating, and WARBEAST bringing the soundtrack of the chaos!! From the 1st song to the last WARBEAST kept the crowd going. Tremont's main stage is not a big stage so the band was somewhat cramped but it didnt slow them down one bit. They tore through their set with absolute no holds barred and no holding back. "Crush The Enemy", "Scorched Earth Policy", "Nobody" were just a few songs WARBEAST played in their set. Stage left you could see Phil and Pat from DOWN sittin there enjoying WARBEAST's set and stage right you could see Jimmy Bower doing the same. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE.....CHECK OUT WARBEAST LIVE!!!! 10 of 10

Last up was the reason we were all there DOOOOOOOOOOOWN!!!! The rafters were shaking from the thunderous applause the crowd gave DOWN as they took the stage. The chaos meter broke at that point!!! There was no stopping the crazy horde of rabid nutcases that we became!! From the opening sounds of "Eyes Of The South" to the closing multi band member jam on DOWN's gear, we let the band know we loved them so damn much!! Phil was in great spirits and was on point all night (minus his chats which sometimes got as bit annoying from length of talking and even Jimmy Bower was getting a bit peeved) and whirled us up into an absolute ball of chaotic anarchy!! The air was alive with the smell of weed all night and it seemed like all you had to do was just breathe in and you were stoned!! At one point Phil was talking with someone in the front row and he told Phil he had a joint. Phil says well "bust that thing out". The guy was saying he didnt want to get kicked out. Phil said "whos gonna kick you out? ""IM"" RIGHT HERE!!!" So he sparks it up and passes it to Phil and Phil puffs a puff and hands it back. It was a smoke filled night as there were joints everywhere! The pits were category 5 hurricanes!! Men, women, kids, it didnt matter, we gave our all last night to let the band know we came out to show some love! I didnt have the $ to be able to get a shirt, but I have something from the show that will suffice as a souvenier....I grabbed water bottel Phil drank from then tossed into the crowd. While just about everyone will see that as a piece of garbage, we metalheads know it is something more!! They closed out with "Bury Me In Smoke/Nothing In Return" and had all the other band members come in and play their instruments in a closing jam kinda thing. And just as the other 2 bands, I give DOWN a perfect 10 of 10 as well. The entire night was perfect and there was not one disappointed person who left out of Tremont last night. The ride home was even a perfect thing as it was a smoke filled one too!!

SETLIST IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
Eyes of the South
Witchtripper
Lysergik Funeral Procession
Open Coffins
Lifer
Pillars of Eternity
Losing All
Ghosts Along the Mississippi
New Orleans Is a Dying Whore
Temptation's Wings
Misfortune Teller
Hail the Leaf
Stone the Crow
Bury Me in Smoke

CHARLOTTE NC SAYS THANK YOU TO DOWN AND WARBEAST AND WE AWAIT YOUR RETURN!!

(This post was last edited on October 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM ET.)

Oct 3, 2012 12:56 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Very cool review branded. I'll tell Bruce to check it out when he has a chance.

Oct 3, 2012 3:12 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Who is Bruce?!

Oct 3, 2012 4:06 PM ET #4 (permalink)

The frontman for Warbeast, and rumored to be my twin brother.

Oct 3, 2012 4:17 PM ET #5 (permalink)

DUDE I SWEAR TO GOD I COULD SEE IT LAST NIGHT TOO!!! NO FKN BS!!!

Oct 3, 2012 5:16 PM ET #6 (permalink)

LOFL, we are both well aware of the resemblance. We could definately be brothers. I even asked my mom and she said "Knowing your father it's not just possible... It's probable". XD

Oct 3, 2012 5:19 PM ET #7 (permalink)

wuhahahaahaha

Oct 3, 2012 10:15 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Now i really have myself for missing this show! Great review!

Oct 13, 2012 11:46 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Another great NC show missed. Why did I have kids again??? Oh yeah, I need someone to mow the grass in a few years.

Great review Brand! Sure would have liked to see if Phil had that guy's back if in fact he was kicked out.

Oct 13, 2012 12:57 PM ET #10 (permalink)

Yea Cozen, Phil was in great spirits all night. video of the show (almost the full show) has been posted and DB said he would try to get it posted up for all to see.....

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum