"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

any soccer fans out there

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> any soccer fans out there

Displaying posts 101 - 125 of 886 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36 Last
Displaying posts 101 - 125 of 886 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 36 Last
Mar 15, 2010 4:45 PM ET #101 (permalink)

BG1, a tough one... really depends on the ref / official. I do remember someone doing a totally over-the-top version of it, and the ref didn't allow it. What do you say, Oz?

As for deception, there's plenty of that in soccer, mate! Like someone falling over when the other player wasn't even near, trying to get the players of the opponent team warned and eventually sent off etc. There's a good amount of acting going there, the italians take it too far, though (sissies!)

And Oz is right, that self obsessed C. (for guess what) Ronaldo does that A LOT, now that I think of it.

Oh man... if it is allowed even my country could have made it to the world cup. Hmmm.. :(

Mar 15, 2010 4:48 PM ET #102 (permalink)

Wolf: That's my point. If it's going to be considered cheating, the league needs to step up and force a rule against it don't you think? Otherwise, I see it as fair game.

Mar 15, 2010 4:52 PM ET #103 (permalink)

BG1, fully agreed. It shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. They should act upon it now, cos it happens all the time

Mar 17, 2010 3:09 PM ET #104 (permalink)

Congratz to Inter!! Haha @ Chelsea!! ( Clapz for Eto'o lol )

Mar 27, 2010 7:07 AM ET #105 (permalink)

Tottenham Hotspur for fourth place.....

And FA CUP FINAL

Mar 27, 2010 10:34 AM ET #106 (permalink)

Couple of things to say here.

First to you Diamond: were you one of the englishmen that were sending Beckham death threats after his world cup mishap in, I think, 1998? haha. I was on the outside looking in being here in America, but it seemed like some really serious shit.
Also, do you brits call the football teams by their "mascots". IE: isnt Man United called the Red Devils?

Secondly, Man United vs. Bolton Wanderers today. Its actualy on FSC so I can actualy watch a Man United match. Yay!

Mar 27, 2010 1:31 PM ET #107 (permalink)

No I wasn't MS, I was 8 at the time.

Occasionally we call a team by their nicknames, but not often. Man Utd fans would just call them United.

Mar 27, 2010 2:43 PM ET #108 (permalink)

Oh. Ok. Isnt there a team called the Rovers? I forget which team it is, maybe Blackburn, but the F is a Rover? Ive always wondered that.

I call Man U Red Devils while talking about football with my friends husband who is from Manchester and he looks at me like Im retarded. haha.

Mar 27, 2010 3:31 PM ET #109 (permalink)

Hmmm i know i just call them Man U or United.
Anywayz looking forward to the Arsenal vs Barcelona match.

Mar 28, 2010 1:37 PM ET #110 (permalink)

Lol yeah, he'd most likely just call them "United". There's a few teams with the Rovers tag, Blackburn is one of them. Bristol is another one. There's more but I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Fans would just call them "Rovers" as a rule. Another example would be I support Queens Park Rangers and I usually call them "Rangers" or QPR. QPR is a better term though because one of the two big Scottish teams is called Glasgow Rangers and everyone calls them Rangers.

Mar 29, 2010 2:08 PM ET #111 (permalink)

They had a Premier league game on last weekend. I enjoyed watching it, but I couldn't tell you who the teams were.

Mar 29, 2010 4:46 PM ET #112 (permalink)

^ lol

Mar 29, 2010 5:32 PM ET #113 (permalink)

What? I liked it, but they advertize on the front of their jerseys instead of having the team name on there. Besides, aren't the team names just the name of the town they play for?

Mar 29, 2010 8:09 PM ET #114 (permalink)

That fake penalty kick, stutter step thing is so goddamn stupid. Im not a fan of at all. I know deception is a big key to winning at sports but c'mon, the goaltender in a penalty situation is already at a severe disadvantage, ya know? I dont think it should be allowed.

Thanks oz. Ive always wondered about that. Its always good talking football with someone in the middle of it (in Europe I mean) and not the random American that THINKS they know what they are talking about cuz they watch the minor leag....I mean MLS. hehe

Lastly, I loathe watching the Italian league because they all dive at some point during the game. Its like watching the Italian national dive team practice for the Olympics. haha. It seems like the game goes way too slow because there is always a player laying down on the pitch. Horrible. I think its what makes some people not like football. My opinion.

Mar 29, 2010 8:21 PM ET #115 (permalink)

Yeah the Italians are the worst for diving. Makes the sport look bad.

And BG is right, most of the teams are named after where they're from. Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham City and so forth.

Mar 30, 2010 6:07 PM ET #116 (permalink)

Well i'm an American and nobody EVER accused me of knowing what the fuck i'm talking about when it comes to European football. I have a basic knowledge of the sport from playing it when I was a kid but that's as far as i'm willing to go.

Mar 30, 2010 11:29 PM ET #117 (permalink)

BG: I was talking about the douche-canoes that watch 2 or 3 MLS games a year and talk about football like theyve watched it all their lives. It gets annoying. Im totaly not saying I know everything about the sport (which is why Ive asked OZ a bunch of questions) but I try to watch 2 or 3 matches on tv every weekend to learn. Nothing was directed at you BG just the ones that pretend to know everything about the sport.

Mar 31, 2010 11:01 AM ET #118 (permalink)

MS: It's all good man, I just thoroughly enjoy being a smart ass. lol. BTW, douche-canoes? I like it. I may use it in the future and in return please feel free to use douche rocket. It's a term I coined last year. I actually really enjoyed watching the premier league game and I wish it was on more often, but basketball and baseball are in season.

Mar 31, 2010 7:42 PM ET #119 (permalink)

BG: Cool! You actualy have to thank LivingDeadBeat for the "douche-canoe", shes the one that said it first.
I will use douche rocket...im actualy gonna use it tomorrow in fact. i know someone that needs to hear that. haha
laters

Apr 9, 2010 5:16 AM ET #120 (permalink)

nothing makes me happier than Arsenal losing.. and when they get utterly fucking spanked by one man and his mates (Messi) i laugh like a child...

Cup semi final this weekend. Yids should do pompey... shame im working..

as for the whole teams named after the citythey are from.. theres about 12 teams based in London.. so that would be difficult. 3 teams based in birmingham as far as i know.. 2 in manchester, 2 in liverpool, and so on.. easier just to have seperate names linked to where the teams are based.
if you follow football you dont need to have the team names on the shirts, you get to know who plays in what colours and who the players are for the respective teams.

Apr 9, 2010 5:37 PM ET #121 (permalink)

^ That match was awesome!!!

Man U = Shit
(because of their fucked up match with Bay)
Couldn't even win! steupz!

anywayzzz......

Apr 12, 2010 7:09 PM ET #122 (permalink)

Jackrum: I'm tryin man. I watched it again this weekend, but i'm just getting started here so I have no clue who was playing. Plus I was drinking too so now all I can remember is that one team was in red and they had a Carlsberg logo on their jersey's. Oh and the score was 0-0. 0-0 ties kind of suck guys... Does that happen often?

I also watched the half-time show (if thats what you blokes call it) and learned that many people don't like Chelsea (sp?) and they still have a shot at 4th place? I dunno. Like I said... I'm trying to learn and get into it but it's hard. AND i'm an American drunkard.

Apr 12, 2010 7:34 PM ET #123 (permalink)

I hate Chelsea!

Apr 13, 2010 8:53 AM ET #124 (permalink)

few more weeks before the world cup
my team fc utecht sucked this weekend

Apr 17, 2010 6:33 AM ET #125 (permalink)

BG1

alot of the commentators during the half time breaks are Ex players from back in the day and their old rivalries are still there, No one relly likes chelsea because they have a billionairre russian old baron who goes around buying absolutly everyone they can. although that seems to have stopped and man city are trying to do the same. Chelsea currently are 1st in the league with 4 games left. but have spurs today. man utd are second and have man city today. massive games for all 4 teams

0-0 draws.. happen often but can still be crucial to the overall result for the league. Tottenham hotspurs missed out on 4th place a few seasons back due to 0-0 and 1-1 draws with teams that should have been tanked.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum