"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Pantera

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Pantera

Displaying 9 posts
Displaying 9 posts
Aug 15, 2012 12:46 PM ET #1 (permalink)

Man i have talked about this with friends family and even random people in chat rooms what genre of metal would you classify Pantera as man. My opinion is groove metal

Aug 15, 2012 5:00 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Yeeeep. Anyone who calls them thrash metal probably doesn't listen to a lot of thrash metal. Thrash has a pretty consistent sound across a slew of bands and Pantera sticks out of those like a sore thumb, they clearly were doing something different. CFH is on the borderline and things get interesting if you take into account their prior albums, but no-one does.

Aug 15, 2012 5:15 PM ET #3 (permalink)

^Pretty much this. Always annoyed me when people called Pantera "thrash."

Aug 15, 2012 6:30 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I may be wrong, but I thought Vinne Paul coined the term groove metal.

Aug 15, 2012 10:15 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Is "Exhorder clone" considered a genre?
How about...just metal?

Aug 16, 2012 10:00 AM ET #6 (permalink)

see man i was thinkin trash at first but man you listen to songs like im broken and walk it just isnt thrash so much is missing for it to be thrash man.

Oct 11, 2012 7:58 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Ya I'd say they are just "Metal" but you could definitely call them "Groove Metal" as well. Physco Holiday and some riffs in A New Level are great examples of the groove aspect.

Oct 11, 2012 9:10 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Groove metal for sure. The drum beats just groove.

Nov 12, 2012 7:17 PM ET #9 (permalink)

definitely groove metal all the way.....

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum