"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Different Seasons…

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Different Seasons…

Displaying 1 post
Displaying 1 post
Jul 31, 2012 1:01 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I had a curious thought a few days ago.
I’m wondering if I’m all alone in my insanity but do any of you associate certain albums with certain seasons?
I was thinking that the time of year they were released may have something to do with it but that didn’t turn out to be the case.
Anyway, here are my seasonal favorites.

Spring.
The snow melts, the birds chirp and it’s time for WAR, WAR, WAR ENSEMBLEEEEEE!!!
Slayer, Seasons in the Abyss.
Originally released on October 9th 1990.
I have no idea why I love this album during spring.
With spring like ditties Blood Red, Spirit in Black and Hallowed Point this album SHOULD remind me of winter.
Especially the commercial they used to play on Head banger’s Ball to promote the album.
One line in the commercial stated…”It’s going to be a BRUTAL winter”…and it was that year.
Sorry, spring album.

Summer.
Hot, humid, storms, tornadoes!!!
Nothing can match the intensity of summer quite like…
Nile, Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren Ka
Unleashed on April 28th 1998 this one should be a spring album but with the album cover, the subject material.
Egypt, mummies, sand….ETERNAL FVCKING OCEANS OF THEM!!!
No summer could be complete without a healthy dose of Opening of the Mouth.

Fall.
Ahhh the air turns crisp; the leaves turn brilliant shades of red, orange, and yellow.
My favorite time of year with Halloween right around the corner.
Nothing gets my metal Autumn going like…
Overkill, I Hear Black.
Originally released on March 9th 1993 I’m not sure why this disc gets heavy rotation during the autumn months but it does.
Maybe it’s the orange/black cover art?
One of Overkill’s finest, most mature and overlooked albums.

Winter.
Cold and brutal with snow up to your a$$.
Nothing sums up the insanity of winter quite like…
Pantera, Far Beyond Driven.
Released also on March (I must have a thing for spring albums) 22nd 1994.
You need Strength Beyond Strength to make though winter.

I’m also not counting countless other genres like rock.
Anything Van Halen screams summer.

Pop.
Duran Duran, Rio is a summer album.
The Wedding Album would be a strong winter.

Goth/New Age.
This one is a no contest with groups like Midnight Syndicate and Nox Arcana making albums just for Halloween and in Nox’s case a few for the winter pagan celebrations.

Thoughts?

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum