"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Discussing Metal Composition Techniques?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Discussing Metal Composition Techniques?

Displaying 12 posts
Displaying 12 posts
Jul 24, 2012 2:24 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I've always thought it would be cool if more bands talked about their song-writing process. I wrote something along those lines for my band:

http://cytokinestormrock.com/thoughts/?p=9

Has anyone else written anything like this? Or would you maybe want to talk about some of your compositions? I'd love to hear what goes through the minds of fellow metalheads when they're writing music!

Jul 25, 2012 5:56 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I know you're just plugging your band, but I wrote an article on this a while back - http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=46898

Jul 25, 2012 11:12 PM ET #3 (permalink)

your way is better than ours, we sit around waiting for our vocalist and half drunk by the time he gets there, then we think of random sh!t that we can't work with... nothin ever gets done.

Aug 7, 2012 6:40 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Heh, I swear I'm just trying to start a discussion. I've learned plugging your band to a bunch of other metal musicians is a piss poor way of getting fans anyway.

Like the article (though it's more of a heavy metal primer than a discussion of specific techniques). I did think the point about harmonies was really well made, especially regarding the bass, which so often just drones or mirrors the guitar. My band has been messing around with bass driven harmonies a lot lately. For instance, chances are your bad-ass riff starts on the root note of whatever key you're in, and probably the bass harmony does too. If you start, say, the 3rd repetition (out of 4) with the bass on the 6th scale interval, suddenly the harmony sounds more like a 6th chord instead of the root chord, and the flavor of the riff changes completely without changing the guitar line at all.

Aug 8, 2012 4:48 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Hah - fair enough, if you've actually come and post I've no reason to complain.

Sep 18, 2012 10:35 PM ET #6 (permalink)

I think the most efficient way to write is too have one guy write a song at a time, outside of practice. then you can tweak it and add it the drum, bass and rhythm compositions. you will waste a lot of time if you have more than one guy tring to write the basic groundwork

Sep 18, 2012 11:20 PM ET #7 (permalink)

How to write metal: Tune to Drop A

Oct 15, 2012 8:22 PM ET #8 (permalink)

I don't know much about writing songs, but it ALWAYS has swearing, i handle most of the swearing and the metal elements of my band, but i'm writing a really hardcore metal/screamo song with the drummer about.. Wait for it... Jellybeans, If anyone could help i'd appreciate it. Email me at my band email address; bradrox2010@gmail.com

(This post was last edited on October 15, 2012 at 8:31 PM ET.)

Oct 24, 2012 1:04 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Hello,

Please expose your opinion :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0-55dK3Cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8AL77TW5jM

Oct 25, 2012 11:33 AM ET #10 (permalink)

My composition technique differs from most. I write lyric and melody and then turn it loose to the band to tweak, regardless of the monster it turns into (sometimes good, sometimes not so much). We often record EVERYTHING we do so that those drunken cool licks and bridges get captured and aren't left to the short term memory of one specific musician. In my experience, the songs I truely hate to perform live or in the studio are the ones that came from one individual. They often sound forced, overwritten, and generally stale, but that's just my experience.

Nov 3, 2012 4:32 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I start with a song title, and from there I write a rough draft of lyrics/story. The lyrics help me setup the structure.  I hammer out an intro, verse, and chorus, and bring it all to practice, where we make tweeks, and add on what is necessary. Once we get the basics down the singer decides what fits lyrically, and rewrites accordingly.  

Our band's goal is to tell an effective original horror story in the shortest amount of time, so this method allows us to score to the story.  Coming in with a rough idea helps trim the song down, and cutting out unnecessary parts.

Jan 5, 2013 9:05 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Tell me what you think and what you want to know about that ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn6qt3UralI

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum