"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Anti-Smoking "Shelter" Campaign on School Campus

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Anti-Smoking "Shelter" Campaign on School Campus

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 53 1 2 3 Last
Dec 14, 2009 6:52 AM ET #1 (permalink)

My school which will be left unnamed for purposes of privacy is a great, environmentally-friendly school. We've got a Green campaign going on, our mentality toward how we deal with things is in tune with a certain local Native tribe, and we've worked to having smoking reduced on campus. However, even I, a non-smoker, am beginning to have the impression that smokers are being treated like criminals with this new initiative of "smoking shelters," which I can only imagine are like every other type of "shelter" out there: confined spaces designated for specific purposes. And I really want to emphasize the "confined" here.

How do you feel about smoking shelters? I'll admittedly say I don't have all the information about them just yet, but I thought that since there's plenty of smokers on here, I just wanted to sort of hear your side of another tale of smokers sort of being outcasts in our society.

Dec 14, 2009 10:59 AM ET #2 (permalink)

i say if you chose to smoke it should not interfere with anyone elses life. we who chose to not smoke (wich is more natural so should come first) should not have the bad decisions of others be a concern in our lives. we all have to conform to certain rules or customs for each other and if it is a pain in the ass toward soemthign we chose to do we have to man up and deal with it. i get so damn tired of neighbors smoking outside their townhomes and stinking mine up. i cannot open my windows during good weather because of that shit. when it affects me in my home i cannot help but get pissed off over this. it is so nice now being able to go to a bar or take my wife to a pool hall and not come out of there reeking like a disgusting ash tray. smoking needs to stay out of the main social settings.

Dec 14, 2009 11:29 AM ET #3 (permalink)

i say stop making cigarettes period! im tired of having to smell the smell of it and the smell of the stinky people who smell like a dirty ashtray!

Dec 14, 2009 12:57 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I hate how smokers are treated sub-humanly around Iowa. At work, my boss won't let any of the smokers take breaks just because he's not a smoker. I'm tired of being treated like scum because I smoke.

Dec 14, 2009 1:02 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Your boss is pretty fucked up. Isn't there some kind of law in Iowa against that sort of discrimination that you could use to sue him?

Dec 14, 2009 1:08 PM ET #6 (permalink)

There is in most of the nation, but not in Iowa.

Dec 14, 2009 1:32 PM ET #7 (permalink)

i get pissed becaue everywhere i have worked smokers get breaks to go outside and me not smoking get shit if i take a break and go outside, it is considered not working if i do it. it is not really discrimination if they do not give you a smoke break. smoking is a choice and others should not compinste for it. everywhre i have worked smoke breaks are always taken advantage of and they get away with it. if you want to smoke do it on your lunch break and if that is not satisfactory- quit! i have no sympathy for smokers. i smoked for 14 years myself and never bitched about it so i can say what i am saying.

Dec 14, 2009 1:52 PM ET #8 (permalink)

^^sounds like you should just start smoking:p but seriously, i dont drive and i hate people who do cause they are polluting my beloved earth and killing more people than cigarettes.. but fact remains i have to deal with the crazie old people driving polluting and always getting in the way cause there in a hurry, and if i dont like it i can go fuck off right? do u drive agent? to me its the same thing. we live on this earth together, if u dont like people smoking near u, stay inside and stop crying if u cant deal with it.

Dec 14, 2009 2:41 PM ET #9 (permalink)

I'd like to say, KanadianKorn, that yes, car pollution is a problem, but I'd be a hermit without mine. I live in rural Iowa where there is no public transportation.

I made my point on smoking: I can't be pro-choice on abortion and then anti-choice on smoking, ya know? I simply request that you go outside, as my lungs are shit enough already. :P

I'll add that I don't mind the initial smell. It's one thing I always notice and love about concerts. The residual smell is off-putting. I have no clue about smoking's evironmental effect.

Dec 14, 2009 2:43 PM ET #10 (permalink)

no its the smokers who should be staying inside. if they dont give a shit about their health or stench then thats on them and we should not be forced to deal with it. smoking is not something that needs to be done. unfortunately we have to drive sometimes. but i fought it as much as i could until i had to get a vehicle for work (i was 27 when i finaly did) we are not going to give up vehicles that is just a pointless argument. and i dont see many people sucking on an exhaust pipe and blowing the smoke into my home.

Dec 14, 2009 2:57 PM ET #11 (permalink)

^^ok.....its called public transportation, carpooling, walking, biking whatever u fancy. apparently its driving, mine is smoking.

Dec 14, 2009 2:58 PM ET #12 (permalink)

lol because the gases emitted into ur everyday life isnt in comparison at all.

Dec 14, 2009 3:26 PM ET #13 (permalink)

death in the eye-ur right mang. all im trying to say is we all have to deal with eachothers bullshit bad habits. and that we need to get over it. lifes to short to cuss out everyone who does something u dont, ya know? i as a smoker am polite enough not to smoke around other people. i feel that is enough and is all im willing to do, ex. i need a smoke while waiting at the bus booth, i step outside, i dont smoke in it. a little common appreciation for fellow humans is in order me thinks. but seriously smokers r human to. lol think ur gf likes it when u wear ur sox to have sex lol? propably not but they fuck us neways. :p

Dec 14, 2009 3:46 PM ET #14 (permalink)

i wear a wookie costume when fucking my wife, she would not accept the darth vader mask and weird breathing though i tryed to get her to accept it i will settle for the wookie. you know the world would be a better place if everyone just did whatever i told them to do ;-p
what you say about smokers KANADIANKORN, or at least your viewpoint is completely agreeable, thats what i have been trying to say. there needs to be a respect between everyones choice and we cannot really force people to deal with (the smoke in public areas) others decisions. designated smoking areas are proper.

Dec 14, 2009 3:48 PM ET #15 (permalink)

lol fair enough \m/

Dec 15, 2009 11:37 AM ET #16 (permalink)

Agent: Where I work, we do not get breaks at all. In Iowa, it's not required that you get a break until you've been working for 8 hours. Knowing this, my boss schedules people for 7 hour shifts to avoid breaks and increase productivity. If I HAD a lunch/dinner break, I could make that choice.

Dec 15, 2009 1:58 PM ET #17 (permalink)

people dont bitch against the people who smoke
its our choice and our life so if we decide to cut it shorter it is our choice
but dont hate us because we smoke
we dont bitch to people who dont smoke

leave us alone i agree you should not smoke in side i dont smoke at my place i sit on the porch
but dont treat us like a leper
and you know what the funny part of the people who bitch they .used to smoke them self
or the once who dont smoke they smoke dope o yeah forgot thats not smoking
they bitch the most
who gives a fuck that we smoke or polute the air you breath
i dont give a rattass about people who complain about my smoking you dont like it fuck off

Dec 15, 2009 5:18 PM ET #18 (permalink)

i am ready to throw down brother. i will drag your ass to the happy disgnated smokers zone and shove those cigarettes up your ass with a little surpise. any questions?

Dec 15, 2009 5:37 PM ET #19 (permalink)

please use lubrication
or filter sigarets they dont hurt so much when you stick it up my fragile buthole

Dec 15, 2009 6:09 PM ET #20 (permalink)

filters are for bitches!

Dec 16, 2009 3:21 AM ET #21 (permalink)

but i am a male bitch
going to work and my boss tells me what to do and i bent over and do what ever he wants
teach diving look at good looking girls in a bikini
but sometimes you bad students who drive you up the wall the make me drink and smoke

agent i know it kills me on the end .but hey do have to die some day
and funny part is i used to hate smokers as well
but something happend 3 years ago and i started smoking

Dec 16, 2009 11:05 AM ET #22 (permalink)

yes we are all going to die, but its the quality of life we live until the end that matters. you know honerstly there are not that many inconsiderate smokers out here. for the most part they respect others breathing space and i have no problem with them. especialy now that i can go out to eat and not deal with smoke or come home smelling like shit.. i personaly am just happy that i have broke the chains that cigaretteshad on me, i did not realize how much they controlled my life. freedom is nice. not to mention the damn money i get to spend now on music and movies.

Dec 16, 2009 11:59 AM ET #23 (permalink)

Non-smokers (or shall I say former somokers) are far more offensive than smokers. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a non-smoker bitch in one week, i'd go buy another carton. Here in Arizona, it's against the law to put a dog outside without shade but smokers are expected to smoke wherever "the designated smoking area" is with no regard to shade. I happen to enjoy smoking very much and will continue to do so until it becomes illegal.

Agent: You sir are a hypocrit. You smoke weed and yet you have the audacity to come here and cry about cigarette smokers?... Because of the smell? You too branded. Shame on both of you. Pot... Meet kettle.

Dec 16, 2009 12:06 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Non-smokers do get treated like shit, everywhere I can think of. Here in Indiana it's not as extreme as other places, but people are still de-humanized for it.

People, if you think people are scum for smoking, and you want to treat them like the blacks were treated in the 1940s, just go shoot yourself.

Dec 16, 2009 12:06 PM ET #25 (permalink)

Oh noes.

I have seem to have double posted.

@BG1/A47- Hipocrisy is a good band. I think this is the correct time and place to mention it.

(This post was last edited on December 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum