"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Can you explain why the Enter Sandman riff sounds 'sleepy' ?

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Can you explain why the Enter Sandman riff sounds 'sleepy' ?

Displaying 2 posts
Displaying 2 posts
Jul 2, 2012 7:46 PM ET #1 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...y6U0gkS8#t=03s

Listen to that riff, man. Doesn't it sound very...'sleepy' ? It fits the mood of the song, but I don't know what makes it sound very...'sleepy', you know?

Are the notes he's playing associated with lullabies or something? or is it the trance-like hypnotic riff that makes it like that?

Can anybody help me break it down what makes it sound very 'sleepy' or whatever?

Thanks

Also i'm talking about the intro riff that appears right away

NOT the distorted riff that appears soon after.

(This post was last edited on July 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM ET.)

Jul 2, 2012 11:10 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Uhhh... it doesn't really. The opening riff is picked softly, with no distortion, and there's no aggressive vibrato, and the production is open and makes good use of reverb. Most likely, it sounds sleepy to you because you've made a mental association with the song and sleep because of it's lyrics. I suppose you could make a case that repetition is associated with sleep and hypnotism.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum