"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Amon "Liar in Wait" review.

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Amon "Liar in Wait" review.

Displaying 7 posts
Displaying 7 posts
Jun 20, 2012 9:46 AM ET #1 (permalink)

For all the Deicide fanatics out there who have been following things over the years this one is for all three of you besides me lol.

As we all know Deicide formed under the name Amon back in ‘87/’88 and released two demos.
They were signed to Roadrunner records as long as they changed the name of the band. (King Diamond had a song out called “Amon Belongs to Them” and the label didn’t want to create any confusion. The name was changed to Deicide and blah, blah, blah the rest is history.
The debut and Legion are still considered genre defining moments.
After Scars of the Crucifix the Hoffman brothers departed.
I won’t go into the feud between them and Benton/Asheim as it is their battle not mine.

The Hoffman’s dropped off the extreme metal map for about seven years.
It was rumored Eric suffered a heart attack and Brian went to work for Dean Guitars.
I’m not sure if any of that was true either as both of them kept a very low profile.
Then the word leaked that they had reformed Amon and a new album was in the works.
And then we waited….and waited………..AND WAITED.
Sound familiar?
It should, we did the same thing with Morbid Angel when Vincent rejoined.
Eventually a new song called “Among Us” was released.
While a good song it didn’t totally blow me away like I was expecting.
More waiting and a video was released….cool video except you had to pay to watch it.
(I’ll get to that later)
And then the download of the album was finally released, you can now buy the physical copy from Eric. Just look at his facebook page for the address and payment info.
I got the download and now that I’ve had some time to live with this release…
Was it worth the seven year wait?
Is it even any good?
Here we go…..

The disc opens with Among Us….like I said, good song just not mind blowing.
It’s when track two kicks in that things start to get interesting….Eye of the Infinite has everything you could possible want including some surprises.
Brutal, interesting rhythm parts, killer leads…you name it.
And you know what? Without going into each and every song.
Here it is in a nutshell.
Does this measure up to recent Deicide albums?
In every way possible…yes.
I don’t think it’s fair to compare them to Deicide while they were in the band or after they left.
This is really a whole other kind of beast.
If I had to compare the new Amon album to anything it would be like this…
Legion era Deicide mixed with Disincarnate, Hate Eternal, and a TON of melody.
There really isn’t one single weak track out of the nine songs.
Each song was obviously carefully crafted and constructed.
It’s technical without being overwhelming (Brain Drill being an example).
It’s catchy and melodic without being cheesy.
Out of the four bands that got me into death metal Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Morbid Angel and Amon/Deicide.
Only Amon and Cannibal still keep my attention.

I’d like to discuss a few other things…
The vocalist Jesse Jolly sounds just like Benton in the old days (Serpents of the Light or Once Upon the Cross era)
Basically he sounds like Benton when Benton sounded good.
His much bragged about seven string bass in buried in the mix which is very unfortunate.
Mike Petrak on drums in not Nick Barker flashy but the guy is fast as fvck, brutal, technical and definitely keeps thing varied.
NOT a drummer I’d call monotonous.
The real superstars are Eric and Brian who have simply taken their playing to a whole new level.
They’ve really been doing their homework over the years and it’s paid off.
Granted I was always a fan of their evil riffs but this takes it to (think video game terms)….they’ve leveled up by about a hundred points.
Eric’s leads especially call into mind James Murphy, Santolla and Schuildner.
Very neo-classical in his approach.

The album has not been without its share of criticism from the underground.
Criticism that I think is unfounded.
Namely the production.
People are saying it sounds like a demo tape….huh???
Hardly, the sound is very natural and organic. Every instrument can be heard (except bass).
The cymbals DO have sort of a strange echo to them but it’s not really a distraction.
The people that say this sounds like crap said the latest from Deicide sounds too polished and computerized.
Common, you can’t have it both ways folks.
This is death metal not Ga Ga.
Another criticism has been of Eric’s playing.
When they left everyone said they couldn’t play…now the same people are saying he plays TOO well.
Once again….you can’t have it both ways.

All in all I was NOT expecting this from Amon after all this time away from the scene.
It is really a remarkable comeback.
And the next question would naturally be…why can’t we find it, why haven’t we heard a peep about it?
Amon is without a label.
I guess they got offers and turned them down.
Funny how this all ties right into a previous discussion right on this site about stealing music.
Amon very well might represent the future of how musicians bring their music to the public.
You can get the download off cd baby or from Eric himself on facebook.
With all the talk of supporting the underground, it’s time to put your money where your mouths are.
There sadly aren’t any tracks on Youtube as Eric has them removed as soon as they appear.
I think this is a mistake on his part as Tube is the biggest free billboard you can ask for.
However it is their band and their career….
My recommendation for those who are morbidly curious would be to download the title track or Eye of the Infinite.
If neither of those do it for you then this type of death metal obviously isn’t for you.

In closing I’d like to say that a lot of people are Deicide loyalists and some are Amon.
I’m grateful we have both.
Hopefully each band will inspire the other to try and out do the other.
It would be amazing to see a show with both bands but that probably won’t happen.

Amon “Liar in Wait”.
Extreme.
Technical.
Brutal.
Melodic.
A truck load of memorable and interesting riffs.
Some slight production issues and lack of label support.
As close to, a new/old school genre definer as you can get.
The gloves are off and Amon comes out swinging.
Album of the year for me so far.

(This post was last edited on October 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM ET.)

Jun 21, 2012 11:53 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Cheers for the review! I'm gonna write a better reply when I have time but the marriage of brutality and melody sounds great.

Jun 22, 2012 9:13 AM ET #3 (permalink)

^^^Thanks Cynic.
I love it so far....I just hate recommending music and then to have folks turn around and say they hated it lol.
That's why I'd recommend the title track first and if that don't do it for ya, the album as a whole probably won't either.

Jun 22, 2012 9:22 AM ET #4 (permalink)

OH yeah, one other thing I'd like to add.
The production...keep in mind I've only heard the download.
Downloads usually sound like crap. Throw it on an I Pod shuffle with a pair of 10.00 ear buds and yeah it won't sound spectacular.
That said it still sounds good. I'll reserve final judgement till I get the physical copy and can crank it on my stereo.

Jul 31, 2012 5:40 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Ok, so I haven't yet heard the Amon album but I thought I'd post here cause you were the one most interested in Nile's "At The Gates Of Sethu" album. In short, I completely agree with what you wrote elsewhere; this is the album everyone's been complaining about? Holy crap you've got to be joking. It's exactly the kind of musical change Nile needed after the last 3 albums. Ok, I get that some might not like the production but the songwriting is great. Concise, snappy bludgeonings chock full of great riffs, varied vocals, I really liked it. The first half of the album in particular is really strong, not so much the last two tracks. It's not going knock my favourite Nile albums off the top but it certainly goes with the others in the big pile of great Nile albums.

Jul 31, 2012 7:45 PM ET #6 (permalink)

No worries about Amon but Eric did actually put Among Us on Youtube for free if anyone wants to check it out.
Pretty cool video if you like the alien stuff. :)
Oh and now that I have the actual cd in hand, yes the production sounds MUCH better than the download.
I was kind of looking forward to what the band would write on the inside notes.
Remember when Benton wrote some rather unflattering things in the notes section of Stench of Redemption.
I was really expecting something clever and brutal from Eric and Brian but much to my surprise they took the high road and simply thanked the fans and just left it at that. Very classy and probably for the best. Everyone seems much happier separate.
Nile....yeah, I don't get it either.
It's been on constant rotation on my Ipod since I got it.
There's some quality stuff on there.
My faves from them will always be Nephren - Ka and Black Seeds but this one is a refreshing break from the norm.
Glad you liked it.

Aug 1, 2012 5:00 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Ha yeah it's actually reminded me why I like Nile so much. I went back and to AtCoNK recently and man, "Serpent Headed Mask" gets me every time.

Right I'll have to have another listen then - I only heard a snippet of an Amon youtube clip through $5 earbuds. I'm glad they're letting it rest too, if Benton wants to talk shit that's his problem but you're never really going to get anything out of a spat.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum