"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

4 or 6 string bass

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> 4 or 6 string bass

Displaying 13 posts
Displaying 13 posts
Jul 11, 2009 6:09 PM ET #1 (permalink)

last night
me and a buddy we did some jamming
did try to do the bass solo from cliff burton
man i did suck
mu pedal is freaking out
got to buy a new one

but any way a rasta dude showed up with a 6 string
did play it for a while but i did not like the
sound of it
still think metal should be played with a 4 string

Jul 11, 2009 8:40 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Don't know about that. Got some local dudes that tear
some shit up with 5 strings. Blindgreeds bass player uses a 6 string that sounds sweet.

Jul 12, 2009 1:03 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Wilco: I would think that it depends on the bass. Mike also has an 8 string bass that he uses for our more melodic tunes. Sounds bad ass.

Jul 12, 2009 5:32 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I usually play a five string bass as the B string creates a great low sound. At least it does on my one which is a battered old Stagg but I love it so lol.

Jul 14, 2009 11:07 PM ET #5 (permalink)

In my opinion, my Washburn 4-string active bass has the greatest sound I've ever heard from a bass. Maybe I'm biased, but I love the fat, low tone, perfect for doom/stoner metal.

Jul 16, 2009 7:12 AM ET #6 (permalink)

still do like my old
gibson thunderbird iv
heavy fat sound

but for jam sessions i do like to use my warwick corvette

Aug 11, 2009 3:38 AM ET #7 (permalink)

4's are good, i actually prefer my 5-string though (before i broke it). i liked to harmonize with my lower string rather than just do root notes or whatever bassists were supposed to do. i hated following along note for note with guitarists unless the section of the song really called for it or it was a breakdown. maybe i just suck at bass but that's my 2 cents.

Sep 1, 2009 9:18 PM ET #8 (permalink)

well it depends how low, technical as u wanna go. the more strings, the more melodic options are available to u and the lower ur notes can be.

but face it, bass is essentianly a rhythmic/harmonic instrument(somewhat of a "background instrument") and doesnt usually play a lead role unless ur playing jazz, funk, certain classical pieces and billy sheehan "over-the-top-b3-shred-rock". stick to what you know.

it is also harder to repair and modify ummm "more stringed" instruments, especially if u want good pick ups. u can always keep it stock ofcourse but then it not truly urs it just anutha big old twanger.

i wuld personally use a different bass for every style. same wit guitars, fx, and synth fx. its all about what sounds right, looks right and feels right

Jan 21, 2010 11:27 PM ET #9 (permalink)

This is kinda a late answer, but i just got around this site today and i found the forums which i love to discuss these things, anyway, as for the question 4 or 6 strings bass, i would say a 5 string bass, this will give you some freedom in composing your own material, atleast it gives to me, and if needed you can always get to use that low B string as an extra punch/bass line to the song.

Ive seen some bands playing with 4,5,6,8 and 9 string basses, some are well balanced acordingly to the bassist technique others are not, i remember a few months ago ive seen a gig 3 bands playing 1 had a 9 string bass and he could really pull it off in that agressive enviroment, the other two bands had 5 string bass players one was really good and the other just sucked, but then again i think that whole band sucked there for the bass player inherit the same trade lol

Im a bass player un-employed, its kinda hard to get jobs as musicians in Portugal, currently im working on a new band project with some old school mates, the first musics already worked in studio but i need some extra cash to finish the work, i play a 4 string yamaha and a costum 5 string, i have no further use to move above in the scale (stringwise) because what im working on now it really doesnt need anymore then this, and i kinda feel confortable to play with these 2 basses, in the future who knows, maybe ill just buy a bigger bass like a 6 or 8 string, but only if i feel its needed!

Feb 10, 2010 5:32 PM ET #10 (permalink)

i only play 4 stirngs , i would liike to start usein 5, im droped down to c n i love how low that shit sounds.
i wanna get lower n with the b sting i could get much lower

Feb 11, 2010 1:27 AM ET #11 (permalink)

I play a 4 string Bass. I have never found a 5 string that's comfortable for me.

Feb 11, 2010 4:59 AM ET #12 (permalink)

do like to play 4 string
but lat week did try the the cliff burton solo on a 5 string was real pleased with the sound

Feb 25, 2010 9:26 AM ET #13 (permalink)

It's really a personal preference - you can have as many (or as few) strings as you are comfortable with. If the bass sounds good, it's got virtually nothing to do with how many strings it has.

In the bass community, it's an ongoing debate - "Jaco only needed 4" versus "More strings = more options". Truthfully, if all you're going to do is drone on a handful of notes, you could put one string on a bass. If you want to go crazy chromatically, Lord Only's bassist John Turner rips up a 7 string like nobody's business, and Jean Baudin puts some serious spin on 9+ string basses, and they're just two that come to mind immediately. Cliff's solo on Anesthesia is a really cool bit, and it was played on a plain old four string, tuned EADG. There's no right or wrong answer. Sean Malone laid down some solid lines with Cynic on a fretless four string, but played a 10 string Chapman Stick for his Gordian Knot stuff.

I've been playing bass for better than 15 years now. In one of my past metal bands, I played a dual-P 4 string tuned CGCF. In my contemporary cover band, I play two different 5 strings, tuned BEADG.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum