"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

scanner

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> scanner

Displaying 16 posts
Displaying 16 posts
Mar 6, 2012 11:22 PM ET #1 (permalink)

if you havent heard of them they are a german speed/power metal band. If you like bands like running wild, helloween, rage, blind guardian you will like scanner. i have been listening to their first two albums a lot lately and got to thinking, they are pretty good and other people should hear them, let me know what you think

Mar 7, 2012 1:19 AM ET #2 (permalink)

Nice! Yeah great band, I always get them mixed up with Vicious Rumours because their second album "Digital Dictator" gave me the same sci-fi vibe... and the cover of THAT reminds me of the cover for Sabbath's "Dehumanizer" album... too much metal haha.

Mar 7, 2012 12:46 PM ET #3 (permalink)

haha yeah they are kinda similar, im going through my second wave of german speed/power phase and was wondering if you or anyone else had some suggestions

Mar 8, 2012 3:30 PM ET #4 (permalink)

I'll get back to you when I have a chance tonight.

Mar 11, 2012 5:43 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Haven't had any internet all weekend... I will get back to this!

Mar 11, 2012 8:44 PM ET #6 (permalink)

alright, it would be much appreciated

Mar 14, 2012 4:01 AM ET #7 (permalink)

Alright! This is a really haphazard list somewhat ordered from well known to lesser known and I leave most big bands out just for the hell of it. It's sort of a power/heavy/thrash list that a Blind Guardian/Scanner fan might like but it doesn't get too obscure, unless it's a new up and coming band.

Demons & Wizards
Agent Steel
Armored Saint
Artillery
Rhapsody Of Fire
Riot
Dragonland
Falconer
Fates Warning
Helstar
Cirith Ungol
Crimson Glory
Dream Evil
Iron Saviour
Pyramaze
Skyclad
Rage
Tad Morose
Twisted Tower Dire
Sonata Arctica
Vicious Rumors
Persuader
At Vance
Bloodbound
Tyr
Angra
Vintersorg
Stormwarrior
Wuthering Heights
Galderia
Hexx
Pathfinder
Pharaoh
Crystal Viper
Skull Fist

...that's all for now, might be a few you hadn't heard of if I'm lucky. Persuader sounds exactly like Blind Guardian btw haha.

Mar 14, 2012 2:31 PM ET #8 (permalink)

i havent heard of quite a few of those bands actually, but thanks for getting back to me

Mar 14, 2012 5:21 PM ET #9 (permalink)

No prob hey if you have any recommendations of your own feel free to throw them out. Even if I've heard them sometimes I haven't given them a good enough shot - I like your taste dude and normally a recommendation of someone with similar taste is worth a lot more than a 10/10 review from someone you don't know.

Mar 16, 2012 3:29 AM ET #10 (permalink)

yeah i know what you mean, not too long ago i read a review on judas priest's sad wings of destiny, which happens to be one of my fav priest albums and it said how it wasnt one of their stronger albums, and wasnt very heavy, do you like death?

Mar 16, 2012 5:08 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Yeah Sad Wings is chock full of classics, "Dreamer Deceiver" is underrated to me. Death the band or genre? Both!

Mar 16, 2012 7:18 PM ET #12 (permalink)

the band, ive never listened to them before, but the other day i was in my buddy's car and death came up on his ipod well anyways it was a really good song and was wondering where one would start in listening to death

Mar 17, 2012 12:10 AM ET #13 (permalink)

Oh there whole discog is pretty much perfect beginning to end but depending on what you like you may not like their early albums. They went from raw simple death metal, to complex technical death metal, to more melodic progressive death metal. "Symbolic" is a great starting point, my favourite album is "Human". "Human" to me is possibly the best death metal album ever.

Mar 18, 2012 7:31 PM ET #14 (permalink)

thanks ive heard human was really good, have you ever heard mithotyn, they are not death metal but ive they just came up on my zune and thought id share

Mar 18, 2012 9:15 PM ET #15 (permalink)

They ring a bell and it's because I've only looked at their Metal Archives page before. I've only really become interested in Falconer recently and still getting into them so didn't give them a try, they good?

Mar 19, 2012 1:25 AM ET #16 (permalink)

yeah theyre pretty good, my friend told me about them and said they were folk metal which immediately turned me off, but they are actually really good, really melodic and very catchy riffs, i recommend gathered around the oaken table, i just found out im goin to see maiden im super excited

(This post was last edited on March 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM ET.)

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum