"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Old Farts

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> Old Farts

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 36 1 2 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 36 1 2 Last
Jul 10, 2009 1:28 PM ET #1 (permalink)

DB didn't want us using the annoucement area of the forum so I started a new one for all of us old school metalers. I know Wilco, godlike and I have seen some epic bands back in the day. This is a shot out to all the other old farts out there that want to talk about what all the young whipper snappers missed back in the day.

Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Priest, Metallica, Violence, Testament, Saxon, Bad Co, Aerosmith, Venom, Slayer, Megadeth, and Voi-Vod are just a few of the shows I had the privelege of seeing the origional members perform in during their hey day. Post up yours or just shoot the shit with us. Us old farts have to stick together. Of course everyone is welcome to join the conversation as well. Personally, I hate everyone so there's no discriminating here.

Jul 10, 2009 2:27 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I saw Deep Purple last summer. That was a good time, all the band members looked like they were still having a blast on stage even after all these years. A happy band makes me a happy fan. Obviously Ritchie Blackmore wasn't playing with them, but Steve Morse does a damn good job.

Jul 10, 2009 2:45 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Well I'm 19 but let's see if I can compete. I've seen Black Sabbath (original lineup, Download 2005), Aerosmith, Motorhead, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Journey, KISS, Judas Priest, Budgie, Saxon, Iron Maiden, UFO and Scorpions. There might be some more that I can't remember. I do like the oldies.

Jul 10, 2009 3:02 PM ET #4 (permalink)

While I don't like to think of myself as an old fart... I guess I have to admit that there are certainly more youngins around here than there are members in my age group.!

Some shows in the past that stand out in my memory...
Iron Maiden on their "Number of the Beast" tour as
an opener for UFO and Rainbow headlined.!
Metallica - Master of Puppets tour in '86
Saxon - Denim and Leather tour in '81

My 25 year, passionate affair with THC has clouded a bit of my memory at this point in time... I'm sure some more will come to me later ;-)

Jul 10, 2009 4:03 PM ET #5 (permalink)

*In an old American Indian voice* It does my heart good to see the young braves running strong with the blood of their ancestors of metal pumping through their veins.

I forgot about the epic Maiden shows. I've seen them like 6-7 times at least. MSG anybody? Alcatraz? Y&T? Accept? Dio? Metal Church? Overkill? Oz mentioned Alice \m/\m/

How about all the hair bands that we're all too hard to talk about because we went there for the chicks? Def Leppard, Ratt, Whitesnake, Motley Crue (luckily they came with Metallica Master tour when I saw them)? Come on guys... Come clean.

Jul 10, 2009 4:25 PM ET #6 (permalink)

Old bands I've seen are Jerry Lee Lewis (drunk out of his mind!!), Lou Cristie, a few other rock n' roll classics that I don't remember, CSN twice, The Blues Travelers, Metallica, H&H (BAH! Its Black Sabbath and everybody knows it!), Priest, Testament, Motorhead, Ozzy, TSO (well, the band isn't that old, but the guys in it are). There's been a lot of old cock rock bands that have played at Lazer Fest in Des Moines the past couple years, but I conveniently end up missing them.

Jul 10, 2009 4:28 PM ET #7 (permalink)

And Danzig

Jul 10, 2009 5:45 PM ET #8 (permalink)

Did anyone ever catch Zebra in their prime? Damn that was a great band.

Jul 10, 2009 5:51 PM ET #9 (permalink)

AP1: Absolutely! Without a doubt one of the best club acts i've ever seen let alone warmed up for. Dream Theater just redid one of their tunes too.

Jul 10, 2009 5:56 PM ET #10 (permalink)

I saw Earth Crisis a couple of weeks back, and I'm 19 on the 22nd so does that count?
Hahahaha

Jul 10, 2009 5:58 PM ET #11 (permalink)

I seen Zebra too.!! Fantastic fucking band.!!

Jul 10, 2009 6:08 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Wiggles: Everything counts brother!

Let's see. Oz also mentioned Ted Nugent. Now when I saw Ted I have to admit it made me a bit uncomfortable. There's just something about a crazy mother fucker running around the stage in a loin cloth and a shot gun on the end of his Gibson. lol.

Jul 10, 2009 6:12 PM ET #13 (permalink)

I've seen Iron Maiden and (if they count, considering they're still going strong) Slayer, and with Iron Maiden, was Black Sabbath that year of Ozzfest! But that's it. =(

Jul 10, 2009 7:01 PM ET #14 (permalink)

Oddly enough, I seen The Nuge wearing a loincloth too...
Intensities in 10 Cities tour..!!

About 4-5 songs into the set..
some moron in the audience threw a cup of pop on stage and it soaked the Nuge.!
He immediately stopped the song., demanded that the house lights be turned on..
Asked the crowd who threw the cup... as the crowd parted around the guy...Ted dropped his guitar, jumped into the crowd and beat the shit out the dude.!!
Seriously, beat the piss out this guy and left him laying on the floor as Ted Nugent was carried backstage and the show was over.!
It was the shortest concert Ive ever seen.!!

Jul 10, 2009 8:28 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Regarding the hair bands there, I saw Motley Crue a couple of weeks ago at Graspop. I also saw both Whitesnake and Def Leppard at Graspop last year on the friday. Def Leppard were surprisingly good but Whitesnake sucked balls.

Jul 10, 2009 8:51 PM ET #16 (permalink)

yeah old fart stuff
iron maiden with paul dianno suport act of kiss
saxon wheels of steel tour
motor head with fast eddie and animal taylor
metallica kill em tour
raven ted nugent budgie thinlizzy with phil
deep purple tygers of pantang
motley crue besides graspop
slayer playing in holland for only 40 people and only 5 us
laaz rocket
and many more
but my fav is cliif burton seeing playing bass

Jul 12, 2009 1:14 PM ET #17 (permalink)

Definately, Cliff was the man. I knew Wilco would chime in at some point with some that i forgot. Laaz Rocket. They are getting back together from what I hear. There should be a new album out soon.

Jul 20, 2009 10:26 AM ET #18 (permalink)

blind greed
yeah man i think the album of laaz rocket comes out in august
one of these bands who should have made it
but the sort of missed the boat
anyway looking forward to get the new cd

Jul 20, 2009 4:09 PM ET #19 (permalink)

I agree with my fellow "old farts".
Cliff Burton was certainly an amazing bassist.!

Anyone see the Rolling Stones..?
I seen them for the first time on their "farewell" tour in '83..
I'm certainly not a big Stones fan... but, what the hell..
it was free tickets.!

Jul 20, 2009 4:59 PM ET #20 (permalink)

godlike: Seen The Stone's in 89
at Robert F.Kennedy Stadium in D.C.

Living Colour opened .

Jul 20, 2009 5:56 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Technically, I've seen the entire original Black Sabbth line-up, since I saw Ozzy at the free Ozzfest, and then later that year I saw Dio with Heaven and hell....lol

And I've seen Alice Cooper. One of the better live shows I've been to, and one of the few that I actually wanted to sit down and watch, instead of going apeshit all over the place.

I missed both AcDC and Maiden recently, due to economic reasons. I love the old guard and all, but how do you expect me to pay 80-100 dollars to see one band, when I can see 8 up and coming local bands who need my money more, for 20 bucks? I've been to waaaay more local concerts than anything else, simply for that fact. Maybe one day I'll be able to tell my grandkids that I saw "blow torch sodomy" before they were famous....

Jul 20, 2009 6:55 PM ET #22 (permalink)

The Black and Blue tour. Black Sabbath and Blue Oyster Cult.
1980 - Richfield Coliseum. Richfield Ohio. Hows that for old farts?

Jul 23, 2009 9:40 AM ET #23 (permalink)

afther seeing heaven and hell i have been lissening to some rainbow stuff
did see rainbow in 1978
think it was the stargazer tour
did remember dio voice it was so powerfull

Jul 23, 2009 9:14 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Didn't really see a lot of epic bands but I've listened to a few. Going wayyyyy back, my favs on vinyl and 8track would include: Elvis, Styx, Kansas, Kiss, AC/DC. Once cassettes came in vogue it was Resurrection Band, more AC/DC, Manowar, eventually Metallica, Slayer, Trouble, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, and finally to the heaviest band of all time.....
HIGH ON FIRE

Nov 17, 2009 3:24 PM ET #25 (permalink)

I'm way late on this thread, but let's see..

I've seen Alice Cooper, KISS, Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Skid Row (only saw them 'cause they were opening for Nugent and KISS).. I think that's it as far as older bands go. Oh, and Ozzy. Not with Sabbath though. :(

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum