"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Changing tubes in my new amp make a difference? More metal sound?

Posted in: Forum Home >> Musician's Chat >> Changing tubes in my new amp make a difference? More metal sound?

Displaying 5 posts
Displaying 5 posts
Nov 9, 2009 11:12 PM ET #1 (permalink)

I always wanted a tube amp but never wanted to spend the money. So i finally broke down and bought the new peavey vyper 60w tube amp. Lots of effects, amps, etc. Man i love it. I just upgraded my pickups on my schecter classic because the factory ones suck balls. After reading about how much better the duncan blackouts were compared to emg 81-85 i bought em. Man what a difference. So should i change out the tubes for better gain, more metal sound? The ones i want are suggested by plenty of metal players on tube depot. Just wondering if it will make a noticeable difference like my pickups did. Thanks guys!

Tube link

http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-ecc803s.html

(This post was last edited on November 9, 2009 at 11:19 PM ET.)

Nov 11, 2009 12:18 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Absolutely it will make a difference, also try experimenting with different tubes to develop your signature sound. Have fun and good luck.

Nov 12, 2009 4:16 PM ET #3 (permalink)

Also, make certain your head is not one that needs to be re-biased to use a different Power Tube. The reason I mention this is that you can also look into revamping your sound by using a different grade/configuration of Power Tube. Both the power tubes AND the preamp tubes have a lot to do with your sound.

I use Matched Grade Rating 5 Groove Tube EL-34s for my Power Tubes and Groove Tubes 12ax7 for my preamp section in all my Marshall JCM2000 heads and they sound BRILLIANT! Whereas in my Mesa Boogie SimulClass 2:90 poweramp I used 6L6 Power Tubes... BIG difference!

Nov 12, 2009 8:08 PM ET #4 (permalink)

Yea i am new at using tube amps. So i dont even know what kinda tubes my amp takes. Its a peavey vyper 60w tube amp. Know anything about em? I think it uses 12ax7

Nov 17, 2009 11:29 AM ET #5 (permalink)

Talk to your local guitar amp guru at the nearest guitar store. They'll set you up.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Musician's Chat forum