"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

MMA and UFC: the thread

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Discussion >> MMA and UFC: the thread

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 62 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 62 1 2 3 Last
Feb 27, 2012 9:48 AM ET #1 (permalink)

Why don't we have a running thread for mixed martial arts and UFC talk like we do for soccer and football rather than try to have one for each event?

Anyone watch UFC 144 in Japan? I thought it was a great one. Two fighters who were big underdogs and I didn't think could possibly win actually won: Mark Hunt ko'ed Cheick Kongo and Tim Boetch ko'ed Okami. I really thought Boetch was going to be outclassed, but hoped he'd have a shot since he's a big middle weight. Man, I was so excited to see him put Okami away like that. Rampage was disappointing other than the slam. He was injured though and it's a tough spot to fight injured or pull out. Glad Ben Henderson won the belt too.

A lot of the bigger name Asian fighters lost to the lesser knowns or guys they were supposed to beat, which was interesting.

(This post was last edited on February 27, 2012 at 9:48 AM ET.)

Feb 27, 2012 4:09 PM ET #2 (permalink)

I didn't watch it, but it was great to hear that Hunt KO'd Kongo.

Feb 28, 2012 5:18 AM ET #3 (permalink)

Some good fights, would have liked to have seen the Gomi fight.. been a fan of his for a while.. Some brutal knockouts, Lauzon getting a shin across the jaw was probably knockout of the night from the main card.

Feb 28, 2012 9:37 AM ET #4 (permalink)

Gomi was REALLY awkward and didn't really look like he was winning til he landed the finisher.

Feb 28, 2012 12:47 PM ET #5 (permalink)

I missed 144! It was a real shame Sotiropoulos had to pull out - Greeks representing! Really looking forward to the Noguiera vs. Gustafsson on April 14th - Like both fighters techniques and have recently been impressed with Gustafsson - he likes to be standing and is an awesome striker. Noguiera can match him upright but has better Jiu Jitsu skills - should be good!

Anyone watch boxing as well? Chisora and Haye: so embarrassing for British boxing!

Feb 29, 2012 12:35 AM ET #6 (permalink)

Speaking of Sotiropoulos, I hope he gets back on track after his recent losses.

Mar 2, 2012 5:01 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Flyweight tourney tonight and some other good fights? Who y'got? Prelims on Fuel at 6pm ET and main card on FX later. (9 or 10?)

Mar 3, 2012 7:16 AM ET #8 (permalink)

dont believe espn uk gets the fuel tv fights.. ah well....

Mar 4, 2012 2:32 PM ET #9 (permalink)

Anyone catch the UFC on FX2 on Friday? Phillippou vs McGee fight admittedly , not the most memorable fight, coming down to a judge's decision. I wish Phillippou would show more diversity as it was essentially a boxing match, I think he only threw one kick but he did manage to avoid McGee's take-down attempts. Don't think he'll fare too well in the ground! Still....that is one badass dominating fighter! Come on Cyprus!

Mar 5, 2012 9:44 AM ET #10 (permalink)

haha, yeah, I barely remember that one. Good fights overall though. Especially the undercard.

Mar 6, 2012 9:51 AM ET #11 (permalink)

sarah kaufman/alexis davis fight in Strikeforce last saturday night was the greatest womens mma fight ever, imo....and i knew rousey would destroy tate....

Mar 6, 2012 5:20 PM ET #12 (permalink)

Just for fun, thought I'd share this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZVQyBaIRWzs

Mar 7, 2012 1:07 PM ET #13 (permalink)

DB: Holy balls!!!! I felt that! OUCH!!!! Just goes to show u don't have to be a heavy-weight to inflict permanent damage!

Apr 16, 2012 9:02 AM ET #14 (permalink)

UFC 145 SATURDAY NIGHT:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
•Champ Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans (for light-heavyweight title)............EVANS by UD (FUCK JONES)
•Rory MacDonald vs. Che Mills.............................................................MACD by DECISION
•Ben Rothwell vs. Brendan Schaub.......................................................SCHAUB by TKO/KO
•Michael McDonald vs. Miguel Torres....................................................TORRES by TKO
•Mark Hominick vs. Eddie Yagin............................................................HOMINICK by DECISION
•John Alessio vs. Mark Bocek................................................................BOCEK by TKO

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
•Travis Browne vs. Chad Griggs............NO IDEA
•Matt Brown vs. Stephen Thompson......NO IDEA
•John Makdessi vs. Anthony Njokuani.....NJOKUANI by DECISION
•Mac Danzig vs. Efrain Escudero............DANZIG by SUBMISSION

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)
•Chris Clements vs. Keith Wisniewski.....NO IDEA
•Maximo Blanco vs. Marcus Brimage......NO IDEA

Let's get the chatter started!!!

Apr 16, 2012 4:48 PM ET #15 (permalink)

I don't really care who wins the Jones/Evans fight as long as it's a good one. I like Jones, but this matchup is bringing out the worst in him and they both sound like cocky bitches. I'm not really all that excited by the rest of the card. The main event is selling it.

How about last weekend's fights in Sweden? I like Gustafsson but was not impressed with his dancing around and striking much. I felt like he was never going for the finish and just winning on points the entire time.

Apr 16, 2012 6:45 PM ET #16 (permalink)

i like gustaffson but it was his 1st fight in his home country/homwtown, so i give him a little bit of leeway on the showboating. i wanted silva to win, but cagerust was raping him bad....

Apr 22, 2012 8:47 AM ET #17 (permalink)

WELL, I GOT 2 OUT OF THE ENTIRE CARD CORRECT......

Apr 23, 2012 1:01 PM ET #18 (permalink)

the last 2 events, really didnt give much of a shit about.

Condit needs to defend his interim belt or its fucking meaningless.

Sonnen to kill Anderson

Apr 23, 2012 5:43 PM ET #19 (permalink)

the may 5th card with diaz/miller headlining has a good main card line up, imo

Apr 28, 2012 8:28 PM ET #20 (permalink)

I missed the last one too. Would've liked to see it, but I already read the results. There were a lot of upsets on there. I feel bad for Torres - I was hoping he'd make a run for the belt again.

Glad that empty stretch is over now and looking forward to more fights.

Apr 28, 2012 9:16 PM ET #21 (permalink)

so far the INVICTAFC all female mma fights is kicking some serious ass. free stream online.......... invictafc.com

Apr 29, 2012 9:11 AM ET #22 (permalink)

if you missed the invicta fights last night you missed some great fights....

May 7, 2012 10:57 AM ET #23 (permalink)

UFC on Fox 3 was definitely the best event yet, despite the disappointing ratings from it. All 4 fights were good and so was most of the undercard on Fuel. Nate Diaz put the hurt on Jim Miller.

May 22, 2012 7:21 AM ET #24 (permalink)

Diaz, banned for a year and fined $60'000 for being a fucking idiot..

fair or not discuss

May 22, 2012 8:11 AM ET #25 (permalink)

well, with the nazis that have control of psoitions of power, it always makes them act like mini-hitlers and fk everyone over with their power tripping agendas. the entire n.s.a.c. knows that thc does not ""enhance"" your performance in a way that it gives one fighter the advantage over another. but they suck the tit of the govts nazi ideals about certain things and follow suit. its just another example of do what we say or we will rob you of money and fame. go against us and we will make sure you will not fight again....i wonder how many of those same n.s.a.c who are "against" these drugs are full blown alcoholics/drug users themselves....

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Discussion forum