"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Bands people love that you don't

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Bands people love that you don't

Displaying posts 76 - 95 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Displaying posts 76 - 95 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Jul 24, 2009 5:16 PM ET #76 (permalink)

I think you are confusing taste with talent, Y. A band can be composed of extremely talented musicians who do things I can't even dream of, but that doesn't mean that I have to enjoy their style of music. Dream Theater is a perfect example. They are all supremely talented musicians, but the way they compose music just doesn't grab me. Take the more avant-garde bands out there like Peccatum and Unexpect. Talented as hell and I love their music, but plenty of people can't stand the compositions they make because they are outside the boundaries of normal taste.

Jul 24, 2009 7:23 PM ET #77 (permalink)

Blind - Mozart? Ugh, PLEASE! He was a genius, and his music IS good, but he was far too restricted by the court's pleasure. Bach and Beethoven are much more my style of composer, they did what they wanted because they were freelance artists, none of this "does the music suit my leige? no? well no matter, i'll change it to your every whim and fancy, my king" lol

xFiruath - Peccatum and Unexpect, you say? Go forth and give me more detail, I havn't heard of them...

Jul 24, 2009 7:55 PM ET #78 (permalink)

Y

"This band is full of talented musicians. They really are master's at their craft. However, I would never spend money to buy their music. In fact, I wouldn't even listen to them if someone stocked my shelf with their entire discography..."
^
This is what I'm hearing.

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 8:01 PM ET #79 (permalink)

michael jackson
and mm hate that white boy who wants to be black

well god like di dnot say it sting and springsteen
so i will say it

Jul 24, 2009 8:03 PM ET #80 (permalink)

diamond oz
i did like the show of lamb of god on graspop
do like there new cd wrath

Jul 24, 2009 8:13 PM ET #81 (permalink)

Y

"... white boy(s) who want to be black."
Aren't there a ton of those wandering around various cities and towns, making fools of themselves?

Jul 24, 2009 10:21 PM ET #82 (permalink)

Pecattum is Ihsahn from Emperor's side project before he went solo. It is what many would call avant-garde metal. An accuired taste, but good stuff.

Jul 25, 2009 1:22 AM ET #83 (permalink)

Y

Peccatum? Don't listen to that. Believe me, you'll regret it.

Jul 25, 2009 1:26 AM ET #84 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm sure everyone here is just going to rally around one persons opinion. Hey everyone! Listen to the new Jonas Brothers cd, it's just awesome!!!

Jul 25, 2009 2:47 AM ET #85 (permalink)

And that's our point exactly, Y. Peccatum is composed of Ihsahn, Ihriel, and Lord PZ, who are all three absurdly talented musicians - yet you hate them. You seem to be missing the point with your comments. Look at it another way from a different perspective outside of metal. No one can deny that H.R. Giger is a talented artist, but lots of people don't like his style. Does that mean he's terrible at art? No, it just means his style won't be appreciated by everyone. Similarly there are a lot of awfully talented western style artists, but that doesn't mean I have to like their subject matter.

The different Peccatum albums all have wildly different sounds, but each features something seriously "avant-garde" that makes it hard for some people to get into. "Strangling From Within" is more like black metal than the other albums, so its probably the most accessible. All of the albums feature Ihriel singing and shrieking in purposefully off key ways however, which can be grating for people who haven't heard it before. After awhile it becomes apparent how it fits in with the music though (and for those who think she just can't sing properly - listen to her Star of Ash albums, beats any of the other female vocalists in metal).

"Amor Fati" is probably my favorite album of theirs, although "Lost in Reverie" has some jaw-dropping moments. "Amor Fati" is a lot more symphonic and is more of a visceral experience meant to be interpreted differently by different people. "Lost in Reverie" has a much greater focus on melody and female vocals. I hand out sampler CDs in my town to people who like metal to show them a wider range of bands, and in one of them I include the song "Parasite My Heart" from "Lost in Reverie." One and a half minutes of absurdly abrasive black metal followed by five minutes of mostly heart wrenching clean female vocals, but it works really well together if you have a taste for it.

Peccatum is kind of more for those people who get lost in music and establish a personal connection. If you just want to bang your head (and there's nothing wrong with that), then Peccatum is absolutely not for you.

Jul 25, 2009 4:01 AM ET #86 (permalink)

"people who get lost in music and establish a personal connection" - That is very much me. See, I have some Emporor and Ihsahn stuff, you'd think I'd have known about Peccatum through that... Apparently my shovel is blunt, worst digging ever lol.

So what about Unexpect? What should I... heh-hem... be ready for? lol

Jul 25, 2009 5:47 AM ET #87 (permalink)

Y

Yes, I get the point you're all trying to make. It's like Hitler.

Yet, I think its a weak way of looking at things. Why are you so afraid to say that a band sucks when you don't like their music?

Jul 25, 2009 8:23 AM ET #88 (permalink)

a reply to y
well first you say you dont like king diamond voice
and a coulpe of postings later you like the band
kingdiamond but they voice of diamond is what makes the band in this case

now i am confuesed
i am always confused that what my doctor says
so help me with your music taste

and by the way dream theater do like there music
like what bg says they are good musicians
think portnoy a kick ass drummer

Jul 25, 2009 10:06 AM ET #89 (permalink)

I think Y is like one of those annoying little kids who will purposefully disagree with everything you say, just to get under you skin. Always has to be the center of attention, and will find new and inventive ways to be an abbrasive little fuck-hole.

Jul 25, 2009 12:04 PM ET #90 (permalink)

Unexpect is on the total opposite end of the avant-garde spectrum from Peccatum. Normally Pecatum puts forth something that's meant to resound with the listener and touch them in a more personal way, and while Unexpect does that on occasion, they are really more just off-the-wall. The best way I can think of to describe it would be take the "all over the place" aspect of To-mera, but remove any semblance of boundaries and let the band be as wacky as they want. One minute you'll have the high quality type of female vocals you'd expect from a female fronted metal band, then you'll have circus music, then you'll have growling with disturbing violins in the background. Hard band to pin down, but they can be a good time if you are in the right frame of mind. Amazon has samples you can hear from their album "In a Flesh Aquarium," and that's probably the best way to figure out if you'll dig or not.

Oh yeah, and if you find that you're liking Peccatum, you should try out "Blueprints" by Source of Tide. It has Lord PZ from Peccatum (who happens to also be Ihriel's brother) on vocals doing a truly staggering number of different vocal styles. It's pretty crazy itself, but in a different way. But then again I suppose that's the point, if two avant garde bands sounded the same they'd officially lose their avant garde status, wouldn't they? The earlier albums from Source of Tide are more just like gothic black metal, so folk who don't like the oddity of Peccatum might be down with those albums.

(This post was last edited on July 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM ET.)

Jul 25, 2009 7:34 PM ET #91 (permalink)

Y

I never said I don't like King Diamond's voice. I love his voice. If I said that on accident, it's obviously a word jumbling error or an error sentence structure.

(This post was last edited on July 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM ET.)

Jul 25, 2009 7:44 PM ET #92 (permalink)

Y

Actually, the mistake was not mine. I tried to think of where I might have typed something that could have been interpreted as me not liking King Diamond's voice and it was when I quoted Shredder. I quoted PursuitofVikings, too. Again, note the quotes as in, I didn't actually say that. Also, notice my reply of "Crazy talk about King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, they are the best."

This is the reply below:

""Meshuggah, Pig Destroyer, Kreator, Converge, and Deicide. Oh yeah, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate. All bands I respect, with the exception of Glenn Benton. Fuck that guy. I just can't get into their tunes."

"Machine Head is the other one I was thinking of...
Also, I'm not a huge fan of King Diamond's voice..."

Crazy talk about Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. They are the best.

Jul 26, 2009 11:39 PM ET #93 (permalink)

Cool man, Unexpect sounds right up my alley, I love that crazy shit. Will look into both ASAP :)

Jul 28, 2009 8:53 PM ET #94 (permalink)

Hey Psythe just found out about a new band you might like. I was reading about the guys who play alongside Ihsahn when he does live shows and it turns out they have a band called Leprous which seems pretty promising. I'm just checking out their MySpace samples and I'm liking it so far. It may not quite qualify for "avant garde," but it's definitely in the "progressive" range.

Jul 28, 2009 9:30 PM ET #95 (permalink)

Dear god, stop it, my 'bands to check out' list is long enough damnit!! hahah

cheers bro, i'll look into it :)

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum