"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Bands people love that you don't

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Bands people love that you don't

Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Displaying posts 51 - 75 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Jul 22, 2009 5:12 AM ET #51 (permalink)

Y

There are way too many to mention but bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Testament... there is much better thrash than this out there.

Of course, jokes like Abigail Williams, The Faceless, Job For a Cowboy... all bands like these are absolutely terrible.

Plus, Goatwhore is not black metal, so I'm not sure why so many alleged black metal fans love them.

Jul 22, 2009 6:04 AM ET #52 (permalink)

Slayer, Slipknot, Superjoint Ritual, Amon Amarth, Venom, Sepultura, Soulfly, Six Feet Under, Cannibal Corpse...

Jul 22, 2009 6:36 AM ET #53 (permalink)

Divine Heresy, Dying Fetus, Sodom, DevilDriver, Brujerija, COB...

Jul 22, 2009 8:07 AM ET #54 (permalink)

Y

Why do people like Burzum, Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland... etc.? They are nazi-scum.

Jul 22, 2009 1:57 PM ET #55 (permalink)

I get that everybody likes something different, and not everyone is going to love the bands that I love. I am a little baffled by this statement though from Poobles - "Opeth is the gateway drug to shitty metal."

I guess I had always assumed that even the people who didn't care for Opeth at least agreed that they are the only band of their kind. The term "gateway" seems to indicate that their are other "shitty" bands like Opeth out there. Who are these "shitty" bands, and more importantly where can I find them? I'd give just about anything to have another band of Opeth's caliber in my life.

Cynic, care to take on the "Nazi scum" comment? I know this is one of your favorite rants, just below the one that occurs when people say "Music is music, quite putting it into genres."

(This post was last edited on July 22, 2009 at 1:59 PM ET.)

Jul 22, 2009 2:03 PM ET #56 (permalink)

^^^LMFAO!!! Let me know too if you find other "shitty" bands like Opeth.

Jul 22, 2009 2:55 PM ET #57 (permalink)

Is it just me, or are the new batch of faceless wonders on this thread treading dangerous ground with some of their dislikes? And they call themselves metal? That's like saying you like metal, but not all the screaming.

Alleged black metal fans? Well I like Goatwhore, but I also like Protest The Hero as well as Napalm Death and Katatonia. Does that make an "alleged" open minded metal fan?

Jul 22, 2009 4:16 PM ET #58 (permalink)

AP1: It's not just you man. I almost picked up Kite String Pops last weekend, but they wanted an arm and a leg for it. I'm going to keep checking, but I just can't justify $28.00 for a CD. Why the hell are AB's CD's so expensive?

Jul 22, 2009 7:26 PM ET #59 (permalink)

Where in the hell did you find them for so much? I agree. That's way too much for just 1 cd. Props on looking them up and wanting it though. \m/ \m/

If I had another arm or 2, you would have more horns, but alas, only 2 arms.

Jul 23, 2009 1:04 AM ET #60 (permalink)

Y

Divine Heresy, Dying Fetus, Sodom, DevilDriver, Brujerija, COB...

These bands suck, you're right.

Daath, Cradle of Filth, Amon Amarth, Six Feet Under, Dimmu Borgir, Pantera, Mastodon, Enslaved, Immortal... basically every band that's been on MTV. Not all, but about 90% at least.

Jul 23, 2009 1:06 AM ET #61 (permalink)

Y

"Meshuggah, Pig Destroyer, Kreator, Converge, and Deicide. Oh yeah, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate. All bands I respect, with the exception of Glenn Benton. Fuck that guy. I just can't get into their tunes."

"Machine Head is the other one I was thinking of...
Also, I'm not a huge fan of King Diamond's voice..."

Crazy talk about Mercyful Fate and King Diamond. They are the best.

Jul 23, 2009 11:43 AM ET #62 (permalink)

Y, why in the hell are you even on this website?

Jul 23, 2009 12:15 PM ET #63 (permalink)

Y -- Pray tell me, what bands DO you like?

Jul 23, 2009 3:08 PM ET #64 (permalink)

I usually give everything a chance because I know how different metal is from everything else and when you venture down a new genre it takes some time before you start to really enjoy it....that being said. I just don't get Cradle of Filth. That band is awful. If I wanted to hear a whiny bitch scream at me for 8 straight minutes I would just tell my wife she is fat.

Jul 23, 2009 7:16 PM ET #65 (permalink)

Y

So, because I don't listen to a lot of mainstream bands, I must not like metal... that makes perfect sense, haha.

I like King Diamond, Watain, October Falls, Venom, Celtic Frost, Teitanblood, Obscurity, Rotting Christ, Paragon Belial, Ram, Degial, Old Bones, Urfaust, Bestial Mockery, Tribulation, Woe... etc. I mainly listen to Swedish stuff be it black metal or death metal. I listen to non-metal stuff like Tchaikovsky, too.

Jul 23, 2009 10:09 PM ET #66 (permalink)

^High five for the Tchaikovsky props :)

Pretty much anything that is just plain, straight death metal bores me. If it's technical, or progressive, or melodic, or symphonic, or whatever I can quite often dig it, but the straight up regular old death metal is a no thanks from me.

Oh, and bands that base their lyrics on Tolkien... WHY?!?!?

Jul 23, 2009 10:41 PM ET #67 (permalink)

Y

You don't like old school death metal, then? That's basically all I listen to when it comes to death metal. Too many progressive, technical and symphonic tones I think, ruin death metal. It just doesn't sound like "death" anymore, you know?

Jul 24, 2009 12:14 AM ET #68 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong, there ARE exceptions. Mostly I mean bands like Cannibal Corpse - I know, I know, they started it and all that, but I just don't enjyoy listening to it. I like death metal bands that incorporate something else into their sound; like Sepultura, with their tribal stuff. But honestly, if they didn't have the tribal stuff, I wouldn't like them anywhere near as much.

Jul 24, 2009 12:30 AM ET #69 (permalink)

Wow I've just actually read this thread, and...

Am I the only person that actually LIKES Dream Theatre?? lol

I get the not liking DEP, personnally I think they're great, but they're pretty hard to get. Opeth tho! I'm seriously amazed that people don't like Opeth!! Didn't think it was possible...

Oh, and King Diamond? Sorry guys, he doesn't do much for me either :(

Jul 24, 2009 1:50 AM ET #70 (permalink)

Y

Do you like Decapitated? They are more experimental than I would normally like, but they're good.

When there are too many elements to the death metal, like tons of technical crap, I just have a hard time even calling it death metal, really. I like Death, but when compared to modern tech death, Death is supreme and they don't go over the top with it, showing off. It's like Carcass versus all of the crap grindcore now.

Speaking of technical crap, Between the Buried and Me is terrible. Origin and Necrophagist are bad, too.

------- Dream Theater suck.

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 1:56 AM ET #71 (permalink)

Y

Someone mentioned Arch Enemy and I just don't get why they are so popular other than the vocalist is a chick. The Amott brothers are good guitarists and some of the guitar music they've written for Arch Enemy is very good, but when combined with the rest of the elements, especially Angela's voice, it turns into total crap. Even though it's rare to have a female that can growl (though, there are more than many probably think) it's quality at the end of the day, not some novelty, that really matters.

Jul 24, 2009 11:56 AM ET #72 (permalink)

Y: Sorry, but Dream Theater doesn't suck. They are all extremely talented musicians. I personally don't own any because they're not my cup of tea, but to say they suck is just ignorant.

Jul 24, 2009 3:52 PM ET #73 (permalink)

Y

You say Dream Theater are talented, but you don't like their music. How talented can you really say they are if they can't make music good enough for you to enjoy it?

Dream Theater suck. I don't care how "talented" people think they are or how well they know about thier instruments. because as far as I'm concerned, if you can't write anything good, you can't play very well.

(This post was last edited on July 24, 2009 at 3:54 PM ET.)

Jul 24, 2009 5:06 PM ET #74 (permalink)

As opposed to the black metal bands that sell like 10 copies worldwide. Sorry, but that argument holds no water.

Jul 24, 2009 5:08 PM ET #75 (permalink)

Wow, do you really paint twith a brush that broad? Just because I don't like power metal doesn't mean that I can't recognise and respect DT for their talent. I think Tchaikovsky was talented too, but I don't own any of his work either. I'm more of a Motzart/DeBussey/Berlioz/DeLucia kind of guy. Again, simply stating DT sucks is ignorant.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum