"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

Bands people love that you don't

Posted in: Forum Home >> General Music Discussion >> Bands people love that you don't

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 95 1 2 3 4 Last
Jul 10, 2009 8:19 PM ET #26 (permalink)

Yes, I could tell you didn't recognize by your retort. Sssokay mang.

Jul 10, 2009 8:27 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Wha? It wasn't retort, just a simple refusal of your idea that I was sugar-coating anything. A retort is at least longer than one line, lol.

Jul 10, 2009 8:33 PM ET #28 (permalink)

Yeah I've never seen the attraction to Dream Theater. I'm not a fan of Iced Earth but they were awesome at Graspop last year.

Jul 10, 2009 9:35 PM ET #29 (permalink)

Opeth ( vocalist should stick to Bloodbath ) and Converge ( I don't understand what is such a big deal about them.

Jul 10, 2009 9:45 PM ET #30 (permalink)

...*takes deep breaths*...Wasn't expecting Opeth!

IN, to be honest, Dream Theater's new album is as stale as Michael Jackson's body. I wasn't happy.

Jul 10, 2009 11:03 PM ET #31 (permalink)

"Dream Theater's new album is as stale as Michael Jackson's body."

Marry me. lol

Jul 11, 2009 12:13 AM ET #32 (permalink)

Cynic - Nope, never liked Angelwitch. They're too sloppy (music-wise) imo.

\,,l "Kill" by Tank l,,/

Jul 11, 2009 10:31 PM ET #33 (permalink)

the new dream theater album was really good...and as to the forum subject, slipknot is terrible. i dont get why people like them. and slayer. yuck.

Jul 11, 2009 10:36 PM ET #34 (permalink)

Dragonforce.... Goddamn wankers....

Also agreed with Deadgrass27 on Slipknot and Slayer...

Anyone who says Kerry King, or however you spell his name, is a good guitarist should just explode on the spot... I mean seriously now.

Jul 12, 2009 3:31 AM ET #35 (permalink)

Well his solos isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you have to admit that riffs is just brilliant.

Jul 12, 2009 12:27 PM ET #36 (permalink)

Porcupine Tree I could never get into them. I know they are not metal but Nirvana they are so fucking over rated

Jul 12, 2009 10:40 PM ET #37 (permalink)

bands like DEP and Converge are more for the person who likes to go completely apeshit during live shows. That's what they bring to the table first and foremost. DEP is also only for the person who likes the calculated semmingly-random cockfight that is the instrumentation of mathcore. Converge is for the person who just really wants to be angry while listening to decent music.

I personally dont like Dream theater or Cradle of Filth. I admit the talent within those bands, but I cant stand the vocalists, or the general mood the music creates. And i still maintain that I think dream theater drags on their songs WAAAAY longer than neccesary. Even for prog.

Jul 13, 2009 9:22 PM ET #38 (permalink)

Iron Maiden! They never did it for me. Too much melody over heaviness and aggression. They do have some classics, but I just was never really a fan. I'm not so into a lot of the progressive metal either. Mastodon, Opeth, many others. I like some of their stuff and respect what they do, but I guess I like my metal more straightforward aggressive usually and when I go for something with longer song lengths it's usually more post metal/post rock.

And Oz, Lamb of God is like 10x better in a nice club than an outdoor fest, much like Slayer, IMO. I don't think that will win you over neccessarily though.

(This post was last edited on July 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM ET.)

Jul 13, 2009 10:34 PM ET #39 (permalink)

Metallica AND Megadeth. There, I said it. It's not really an active dislike though, there's just so much other music out there that's more interesting. Same goes for Dream Theater. They're the prog masters apparently, but personally I'd take pretty much any other prog band over them.

Jul 14, 2009 10:30 PM ET #40 (permalink)

I guess I'm the oddball here.

I can seem to find SOMETHING I like about almost every band I listen to (except a lot of deathcore and emo-core [is that even a genre? lol] bands).

Dream Theater is over-rated, though. I don't dislike them, but I wouldn't buy a CD of theirs if it wasn't on sale really, really cheap.

Jul 15, 2009 7:24 AM ET #41 (permalink)

I agree fully about Dream Theater. They bore the arse off of me. Then again I've never been into prog so what do I know?

I used to love Iron Maiden but nowadays I only really listen to the Di'Anno albums and Number Of The Beast on occassion. I think they're more of a gateway band in some respects. They were my favourite band when I was thirteen but by the time I was fifteen and listening to Sepultura and Slayer, I couldn't give a toss.

I don't know how relevant they are in their sub-genre or great they're supposed to be, but I was listening to Extreme Noise Terror last night and I thought to myself, "Wow, they suck!"

Jul 15, 2009 8:47 PM ET #42 (permalink)

Ok, looks like I can't answer this one directly yet. My response to this is kind of odd. I DON'T hate these bands, but I don't see the big deal about em:

Lamb Of God
Mastadon
Gojira
and yes...Slayer

With some of these bands, I've heard some of their material, and I like em, but I don't see why everyone are crazy about em.

With Opeth, I tried listening to a song once and I found it boring...

Jul 16, 2009 12:03 PM ET #43 (permalink)

Jenny -- What Opeth song was it? Because some of their songs are kind of boring. I'd suggest listening to the song "Demon of the Fall" off the "My Arms, Your Hearse" album. Best song they've ever done in my opinion.

Jul 16, 2009 4:57 PM ET #44 (permalink)

That_One_Guy: I forgot what song it was, but it's off of the album 'Ghost Reveries'. I'm listening to "Demon Of The Fall" right now, and it sounds pretty good.. Thank you for the suggestion; I have to say that this is a relaxing tune.

I got a direct answer now:

The Dillinger Escape Plan. Can't stand the fuckin vocals *shakes her head*

Jul 16, 2009 6:24 PM ET #45 (permalink)

Jenny, have you listened to Gojira's latest album, The Way of All Flesh? The Art of Dying is my personal favorite track off it. I skip songs on From Mars to Sirius. Their droning can be hypnotizing at times but they wake you up! =)

Jul 17, 2009 3:28 PM ET #46 (permalink)

*GASPS* Jenny... You said SLAYER? *eyes tear up as he runs away crying*

Jul 19, 2009 12:59 AM ET #47 (permalink)

DeathInEye: I have both of those albums; I like Gojira, but I just don't see what the huge deal is, that's all, but I do like em.

Blindgreed1: LOL I made you cry! That's pretty Metal of me, hehe. Anyways look, same thing I said to DeathInEye; I like Slayer, love headbanging to them \m/ , I just don't see why everyone is so CRAZY about em. No more tears man, I plan on getting the new album! *hands blind a tissue since he didn't run away very far*

Jul 19, 2009 1:49 PM ET #48 (permalink)

Blind - Cheer up man! sit back and down a few cold ones.

Jenny - I remember you mentioning somewhere that you love the melody in music right?...Have you ever listened to Slayer's "Show No Mercy" album in its entirety?...that album is jam-packed with melodic riffs & solo's.

Some other bands that people love that I don't are...

Motley Crue
Guns n' Roses
KISS

\,,l "Crionics" by Slayer l,,/

(This post was last edited on July 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM ET.)

Jul 21, 2009 8:06 PM ET #49 (permalink)

About 5-6 years ago I was a huge Dream Theater fan, and would listen to their albums constantly. But I think their pinnacle was "Six Degrees..." and their last 4 albums have gotten pretty repetitive. We get it. One of the best live shows I have ever seen was DT when they covered the entire "Master of Puppets" album note for note. I do give them credit for not being shy about covering the old school metal greats. I wish more bands would have more fun onstage like DT, instead of taking it all so seriously.

Other bands I just don't get: Slipknot (saw them at ozzfest a few years back - what the hell was that mess?), System of a Down, Anthrax (they just get so annoying after a few songs), Voivod, Danzig, Machine Head, Death Angel (it's like boring Metallica).

Jul 21, 2009 9:31 PM ET #50 (permalink)

I stumbled across this thread just kinda browsing some metal forums looking for some news, and I just had to sign up for an account and join in on this...

Slayer: My god they're over rated. Yes, they've done an incredible amount for the industry. Yes, I respect them. Yes I think Tom's voice sounds like somebody stepping on a cat.

Cradle of Filth: Almost didn't even type this 'cause the band is such a fucking joke. Dani Filth...the orgasm in every 13 year old girl's eye.

Mortician: The guy is just awful at music. Plain and simple...just awful.

Burzum: Wow really? You kill somebody so you're deemed metal the rest of your life? The guy is a complete loser and his music matches his personality. Shitty.

Opeth: Like somebody said, Bloodbath is where Mikael should reside only. Opeth is the gateway drug to shitty metal.

Any Death/mall/core crap. And Chris Barnes. Talk about a washed up vocalist. There is plenty of other over rated bands out there but this list will do for now.

Reply to Discussion or Return to General Music Discussion forum