"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

top 3 nwobhm bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> top 3 nwobhm bands

Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 59 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 26 - 50 of 59 1 2 3 Last
Jan 21, 2012 7:29 PM ET #26 (permalink)

Holy crap you haven't heard Manilla Road but you're an Omen and Manowar fan?!? Well prepare for awesomeness - start with their "Crystal Logic" album. The best thing about Manilla Road to me is that their albums they're putting out now are just as good as any of their other material.

Yeah of course, who doesn't like Priest?

Jan 21, 2012 7:58 PM ET #27 (permalink)

Exactly what I was going to ask. Priest are one of my all time favourites.

Persian Risk were another good NWOBHM band. It's where Phil Campbell from Motorhead started.

Jan 21, 2012 10:16 PM ET #28 (permalink)

wow these guys are pretty good, i really like the vocals, is it really that strange i havent heard of them?

oh and you would be surprised how many people have bad things to say about priest one of my all time favorites , i just crossed seeing them off my bucket list, they still put on an excellent show even without kk

Jan 22, 2012 7:16 AM ET #29 (permalink)

That they do. I've had the pleasure of seeing them three times (2005 in Birmingham and 2008/2011 in Belgium) and they're still one of the best when it comes to live shows. I too have had friends slag off Priest but these aren't the most intelligent of people it has to be said. Speaking of old school metal though, I was dusting off some old Budgie tracks last night. Fantastic band. Love the 70s sound.

Another pretty decent NWOBHM band was White Spirit, which featured Janick Gers, now in Maiden.

Jan 22, 2012 2:05 PM ET #30 (permalink)

yeah white spirit is another good one, i like hell but they are a little to black/goth metal for my taste, they just recently put out an album ive been meaning to check out

Jan 22, 2012 3:37 PM ET #31 (permalink)

Well not really I mean MR aren't as big as Manowar or anything, but it's just most people who are Omen fans got there by running out of MR to listen to haha.

Jan 22, 2012 5:10 PM ET #32 (permalink)

thank you im really glad i listened to them

Jan 22, 2012 5:49 PM ET #33 (permalink)

Are you a fan of Doomsword? If not, another band in a similar vein that I can highly recommend.

Jan 22, 2012 6:42 PM ET #34 (permalink)

no not really, do you like stratovarius

Jan 22, 2012 8:00 PM ET #35 (permalink)

No but I know I should haha. Even though I know they're popular what I've heard just never really clicked with me - feel free to suggest some if you like.

Jan 22, 2012 9:05 PM ET #36 (permalink)

Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Saxon

Jan 22, 2012 10:00 PM ET #37 (permalink)

their second album dreamspace is pretty good, definetly one of their darker works, so has there been any more king diamond /MF news?

Jan 22, 2012 10:08 PM ET #38 (permalink)

Right on. Not that I know of, if I had to guess it's going to be a Mercyful Fate DVD.

Jan 22, 2012 11:56 PM ET #39 (permalink)

wow you have no idea how happy that makes me king diamond doesnt skip a beat

Jan 23, 2012 3:45 PM ET #40 (permalink)

Oh last band recommendation - do you listen to Slough Feg? I tend to say a lot of bands are among my favourites, but Slough Feg really do sit at the top of the heap.

Jan 23, 2012 4:57 PM ET #41 (permalink)

never heard of them, ill get some though

Jan 23, 2012 8:39 PM ET #42 (permalink)

1. Iron Maiden

2. Iron Maiden

3. Iron Maiden

I'm I forgetting anybody?

Jan 23, 2012 8:52 PM ET #43 (permalink)

we were excluding some of the kinda obvious ones, maiden does kick ass though

Jan 23, 2012 9:14 PM ET #44 (permalink)

I find the only Maiden album I listen to regularly is the debut. "Killers" gets a play now and then and to a lesser extent, "The Number Of The Beast" but I'm not a fan of any albums after that.

Jan 23, 2012 9:23 PM ET #45 (permalink)

Actually you know what Maiden album has really taken me by surprise? "A Matter of Life and Death". I guess I was skeptical about it since I thought most post 80s Maiden praise would always be somewhat riding on their legacy, but that album completely stands alone. Bruce aces it, and they're one of the VERY few bands that can write horrendously long songs and feel totally justified in doing it.

Jan 23, 2012 9:34 PM ET #46 (permalink)

"A Matter Of Life And Death" was when I started to lost interest in Maiden, before that, I loved them. I didn't mind the album, but going to the tour, and them playing the whole album cutting out many old favourites made me feel really ripped off. As time has progressed since, I've seen them as quite pompous and self-indulgent. That's just me though.

Jan 23, 2012 11:01 PM ET #47 (permalink)

ZMA

Y'all talkin' about Judas Priest in here? =]

Yea besides the obvious bands; Priest/Maiden/Motorhead/Saxon/Def Lep, I'm not really familiar with a whole lot of NWOBHM bands. This is a conversation for the MU elders.
But of course if I had to choose, I pray to the almighty Priest everyday.

Jan 24, 2012 1:13 AM ET #48 (permalink)

you know for some odd reason i just havent gotten around to listening to dance of death or a matter of life and death, i dont really know why, i mean i would consider myself a pretty huge maiden fan

Jan 24, 2012 6:50 AM ET #49 (permalink)

I loved Dance Of Death when it came out. I went and saw them on that tour too, which was my second concert (first being Motorhead two months prior.)

Sorry if this turns into a pompous rant but Judas Priest were not NWOBHM. Their first album came out in 1974 and by the time NWOBHM took off, they were already promoting their sixth album, prior to which they had appeared on British TV several times and sold out large venues, so they were a few years before the movement, though I'm sure it didn't hurt them any.

Jan 24, 2012 10:25 AM ET #50 (permalink)

R10

Saxon doesnt get near enough credit imo! From 80-85 that put out four or five classic albums,Strong Arm of the Law being my favorite. They went to shit in 86 or so trying to capitilize on the whole poppy hairmetal craze that was big in the States at the time. Think they thought that could be thier quickest route in getting main stream exposure here. Thier last three or so records have been really good,back really to the origional Saxon sound. Still a band i need to cross off my bucket list bands to see along with Venom. Someday maybe.

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum