"some music was meant to stay underground..."

Metal Underground.com Forum

Our newly launched forum is a place to freely discuss topics that are not directly in the news. Posting messages in the forum requires a free Metalunderground.com membership. You can still discuss news articles by posting comments on the respective articles (with or without a login).

Please view the forum rules before posting. Spamming, trolling or personal attacks may result in deletion of messages, loss of membership privledges, and/or a permanent ban.

Your permissions: while not logged in as a member, you may only read the forums. (Log in/Sign Up)

top 3 nwobhm bands

Posted in: Forum Home >> Classic Metal >> top 3 nwobhm bands

Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 59 1 2 3 Last
Displaying posts 1 - 25 of 59 1 2 3 Last
Jan 19, 2012 1:15 PM ET #1 (permalink)

gim reaper
raven
angel witch

Jan 19, 2012 4:36 PM ET #2 (permalink)

Good thread - I'll assume we're excluding Sabbath/Maiden/Priest/Motorhead.

1. Blitzkrieg
2. Angel Witch
3. Holocaust

Jan 19, 2012 5:09 PM ET #3 (permalink)

R10

Assuming were excluding the great bands that you excluded Cynic;which are listed as NWOBHM bands,ill have to put Saxon on top,followed by Venom and then Angel Witch. Tough ommission: Raven NP: Grim Reaper/ See you in Hell! Long forgotten good stuff!

Jan 19, 2012 6:09 PM ET #4 (permalink)

would you consider sabbath nwobhm

Jan 19, 2012 6:38 PM ET #5 (permalink)

Eh no I wouldn't, I've just seen some people classify the Dio/Martin Sabbath era as NWOBHM. Also, I left out Witchfinder General as being doom.

Jan 19, 2012 7:13 PM ET #6 (permalink)

samson has to be considered also

Jan 19, 2012 7:41 PM ET #7 (permalink)

Are they any good? I should also say, Blitzkrieg are a solid first place for me. I love their debut and to me they're one of the few NWOBHM bands who consistently put out really great metal albums over the years. Satan is another great one, and again I might just be saying that because Brian Ross is on vocals!

Jan 19, 2012 8:11 PM ET #8 (permalink)

yeah they're pretty good bruce dickinson started out with them, i heard satans first album, should i get some more?

Jan 20, 2012 4:18 AM ET #9 (permalink)

Sunday Old School has got you covered on Samson, Cynic.

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=67710

Good thread though, love me some NWOBHM. Certainly wouldn't consider Sabbath or Priest NWOBHM though, maybe Motorhead at a push.

My top three would probably be, Raven, Tank and Venom, with an honourable mention going to Sweet Savage (all of which, along with Blitzkrieg, Cloven Hoof, Girlschool, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Diamond Head and more bands from the era have been covered in Sunday Old School plug plug plug)

Jan 20, 2012 12:24 PM ET #10 (permalink)

wow sweet savage i havent heard that name in a while, cloven hoof was pretty impressive, anyone ever listen to omen

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2012 at 12:27 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2012 2:25 PM ET #11 (permalink)

Can't say I've heard Omen.

I saw Sweet Savage and Angel Witch on the first day of Graspop last year, Sweet Savage were fantastic, Angel Witch was a bit disappointing but pretty good nonetheless.

I forgot to mention Jaguar earlier. Great band.

Jan 20, 2012 4:10 PM ET #12 (permalink)

omen is really good battle cry is a excellent album

Jan 20, 2012 5:03 PM ET #13 (permalink)

Checking them out now. Turns out that while I haven't heard much of the new music, I did watch a video of Alan from Primordial talking about them. Good stuff, cheers for the recommendation!

Back on topic, check out Marseille if you don't know them. They were from Liverpool and one of the guitarists when on to become a popular kids TV presenter. He's back with the band now. Nothing spectacular, but it's fun rock and roll. Atomkraft, Avenger and Vardis are all well worth checking out too. I keep meaning to write a Sunday Old School about Praying Mantis, but I already have five SOS columns written with two more in progress.

Jan 20, 2012 5:18 PM ET #14 (permalink)

red white and slightly blue is a good album, my uncle said he saw them with ufo in like 80 or 81, never really heard much praying mantis, did dennis stratton play with them?

Jan 20, 2012 5:43 PM ET #15 (permalink)

Oh cool. I saw Marseille in 2010 I think it was. Great live band.

Yes, I believe Stratton was with Praying Mantis for a while, as was Paul Di'anno briefly (one live album in the early nineties.) Check out "Captured City," excellent Mantis tune. Give Demon and Satan a try too if you haven't heard them.

Just for fun:

Favourite NWOBHM single: Raven - Don't Need Your Money
Favourite NWOBHM album: Tank - Filth Hounds Of Hades (and I'm gonna be totally mainstream and put the first Maiden album as a close second)

Jan 20, 2012 6:12 PM ET #16 (permalink)

i havent heard demon, but i heard satans court in the act
my favorite nwobhm album might be raven wiped out
there is absolutely nothing wrong with iron maiden being considered, ever hear of a speed metal band assault they only had one album survival in the streets

(This post was last edited on January 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM ET.)

Jan 20, 2012 6:18 PM ET #17 (permalink)

I've heard of Asssault, not got round to checking them out though. Battleaxe were pretty decent too.

Jan 20, 2012 6:27 PM ET #18 (permalink)

battleaxe is decent, i really like assault im kinda pissed they only had one album though

so what do you think about king diamond coming back

Jan 20, 2012 7:01 PM ET #19 (permalink)

Pretty awesome. I'm hoping he plays Graspop. I'm yet to see him so it's quite exciting. One of the few names on my list I'm yet to tick off. I'm also hoping Godflesh tour over the Summer too.

Jan 20, 2012 8:27 PM ET #20 (permalink)

yeah KD has always been one of my favs, listen to any power metal?

Jan 20, 2012 8:46 PM ET #21 (permalink)

Nah not really. I always found it to be a little much. Iced Earth are good live, but that's as far as I'll go.

Jan 20, 2012 10:51 PM ET #22 (permalink)

really no helloween, blind guardian, what about manowar , is ripper owens still with iced earth

Jan 21, 2012 6:54 AM ET #23 (permalink)

No, Ripper was replaced in 2007 when they brought Matt Barlow back, but he left again last year and now they have Stu Block, who I think was in Into Eternity before. And no, I've never liked any of those bands. I had a friend in school who was mad about Helloween but I could never get into them no matter how much he tried forcing them on us.

Jan 21, 2012 4:29 PM ET #24 (permalink)

Omen are cool, though I never liked them as much as others do - I'll always take Manilla Road/Manowar in the end. There's not a single MR album I wouldn't rave over.

Oz's Demon recommendation is a good one, they're more Scorpions type rock at times but well written songs.

Cheers Oz! Really digging the songs that were embedded in that, will definitely put Samson on the list. Jaguar, Asssault, Praying Mantis... also added.

Also power metal. Yes.

Jan 21, 2012 6:27 PM ET #25 (permalink)

i havent heard of manilla road , but ill definitely check em out along with demon

u like judas priest?

Reply to Discussion or Return to Classic Metal forum